Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it so hard these days?

Options
  • 26-08-2005 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Argh im just so sick of it... almost every riff that anyone ive ever known has written is a rip off of some riff in some song before... its really pissing me off... does anyone else know the feeling?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

You must be listening to some boring stuff then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

You must be listening to some boring stuff then.
    how do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Sometimes it's an accidental thing (which can be very annoying for the person writin the riff, much to my amusment however) but when it's a blatant rip-off you just wanna pick up the guitar an' smash it over their head...tis very frustrating indeedely matey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

i used to find sometiemes id write a riff or a bassline and think 'wow thats cool'. then months or years down the line id hear it on an old album or something i hadnt heard in ages and suddenly realise where my great riff had come from :rolleyes:

I KNOW! argh its so annoying just playing a new riff and then someone goes "o thats screaming from the sky" or "o thats like black magic and demonic science" gerg... sometime someone would write a riff and it would sound like a song that theyd never heard before....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Cos everybody is sticking to the same type of riffs and note choices (for example E, G, A and Bb).

Look to Jazz for some new chords and chord structures and then mix that with Metal :D

Doctor J wrote:
    Cos everybody is sticking to the same type of riffs and note choices (for example E, G, A and Bb).

Look to Jazz for some new chords and chord structures and then mix that with Metal :D
    its not even just progressions note choices... its that that a riff can be the same abnormal rhythm of chugging and stuff... its nowhere near textbook stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Same note chugging? Pantera had most of the good ones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Sven the reason you think everything is a rippoff is because you examine everything in massive detail and then scour the world for anything that sounds like it i mean cmon if its a blatent rip off then thatd piss people off but when its barely noticble theres no need to care really.The only way it can be frustrating is if you want to be totally unique or if you wrote this really killer riff and then 6 months down the line you find out it sounds the exact same as a song by some other band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Full stops man, jesus christ!

• Advertisement

Indeed...imagine actually sayin that in one breath!

Patricide wrote:
    Sven the reason you think everything is a rippoff is because you examine everything in massive detail and then scour the world for anything that sounds like it i mean cmon if its a blatent rip off then thatd piss people off but when its barely noticble theres no need to care really.The only way it can be frustrating is if you want to be totally unique or if you wrote this really killer riff and then 6 months down the line you find out it sounds the exact same as a song by some other band.
    well barry you know how perticular i am... and i especially have to do it when when theres so many people like *someone* around the world who would credit someone less if it was a slight ripoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

Don't worry people CLASSIC ROCK will once again rule.
    Not like it hasn't already

Indeed...imagine actually sayin that in one breath!
    I say things like that in one breath, doesnt everyone??? :D

Um...yes...but of course! stepping away from the crazy person...

haha barry he called you crazy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Steoob wrote:
    haha barry he called you crazy ;)

if barry is the crazy singer person in Patricide then yes he is crazy he almost hit me over the head with a stool at a gig :eek: :p

if barry is the crazy singer person in Patricide then yes he is crazy he almost hit me over the head with a stool at a gig :eek: :p
    hahahahahahahahahahaha i was at that gig... no barrys the bassist the singer is damien... he was very drunk at the time... he just wanted people to come up to the stage... fu*king killarney pussies haha

o ya and why the fu*k didn't you get the fu*k up?

Steoob wrote:
    hahahahahahahahahahaha i was at that gig... no barrys the bassist the singer is damien... he was very drunk at the time... he just wanted people to come up to the stage... fu*king killarney pussies haha

Hahaha we're not pussies, just most people in Killarney are into their punk
    Tralee people are the pussies tbh :p
    I remember chasing knackers out the back with damien, that was hilarious :D
    o ya and why the fu*k didn't you get the fu*k up?

and FYI i'm usually the one who starts all the bleeding moshes in the first place, tbh I wasn't interested in moshing when there was only 5 stupid girls headbanging.

Twas a pitty Severance didn't get a chance to play that night, that was pretty stupid....

• Advertisement

Hahaha we're not pussies, just most people in Killarney are into their punk
    Tralee people are the pussies tbh :p
    I remember chasing knackers out the back with damien, that was hilarious :D

and FYI i'm usually the one who starts all the bleeding moshes in the first place, tbh I wasn't interested in moshing when there was only 5 stupid girls headbanging.

Twas a pitty Severance didn't get a chance to play that night, that was pretty stupid....
    O trust me they played, not for long but they played cause i was in the pit for em and within like 15 seconds i broke my nose (for like the 5th time), that was thankx to damien again and believe me he wasnt drunk just on a ****e load of yolks.And one of those 5 girls headbanging was steobs gf ,ha. Another thing id like to mention is that steob didnt mosh for severence which would make him the pussy.just another thing id like to point out is that our mp3 is now up on our site check it out, you can stream it too just incase you got a slow connection like me.

Patricide wrote:
    O trust me they played, not for long but they played cause i was in the pit for em and within like 15 seconds i broke my nose (for like the 5th time), that was thankx to damien again and believe me he wasnt drunk just on a ****e load of yolks.And one of those 5 girls headbanging was steobs gf ,ha. Another thing id like to mention is that steob didnt mosh for severence which would make him the pussy.just another thing id like to point out is that our mp3 is now up on our site check it out, you can stream it too just incase you got a slow connection like me.
    haha **** you barry i was ****in lookin after you with your blooding ****in nose... screw jew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

Arch Enemy always seem to get mentioned in posts about stealing riffs.
    Pilgrim's chorus riff is the same as Blue Oyster Cult's Astronomy chorus riff..
    and if I remember correctly, someone said that the first riff in Seed of Hate was taken from an Ozzy song...Bark at the Moon I think (but I could be wrong, it's bound to happen at some stage)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In 15 years of metal, with people using the same instrument, I'm not surprised this happens. As you can only string together only so many (musical) riffs, you're bound to use one that someone else has made before.

Was at the Maiden gig yesterday, and some of the riffs sounded like stuff from Pantera. It happens. I've heard riffs from Judas Priest in Disturbed's songs. Once its not on purpose, it'll happen, and its no harm. Only when its on purpose do I not like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

I could swear I bought a Metallica album a few years ago and all the songs on it sounded like Lynard Skynard, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Seger, Motorhead, Diamond Head, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds......what rip-off merchants :D

Patricide wrote:

I thought it was Harris who ****ed up his nose? Well all i remember was Harris tearing into the crowd and smackign someone...

there's **** all bands around now though cos they've all gone to college.....

the_syco wrote:
    In 15 years of metal,
    Are you insane?????

nope it was def damien saw him brake me nose myself

Patricide wrote:
    nope it was def damien saw him brake me nose myself
    lol :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement