Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL dl speed question

• 26-08-2005 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

Ok, 'noob' here.

I'm presently with IBB and I inderstand that 1mbps means '1 megabit', not '1 megabyte', just to make that clear. I get a max 123kbps download speed.

NTL's website says '3000kbps' download speed. Am I being naive in hoping that its actually 3 megs and not 3 megabits? Anyone got this?

*Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

banquo wrote:
    NTL's website says '3000kbps' download speed. Am I being naive in hoping that its actually 3 megs and not 3 megabits? Anyone got this?

Data is measured in bits not bytes. A byte is 8 bits. kb is kilobits kB it kiloBytes. You're not being naive, just ignorant. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

banquo wrote:
    Ok, 'noob' here.

I'm presently with IBB and I inderstand that 1mbps means '1 megabit', not '1 megabyte', just to make that clear. I get a max 123kbps download speed.

*Rob

If you're downloading something at, say, a transfer rate of 200 Kb/sec, that's actually quoting you 200 KiloBYTES per second. Multiply that by eight (eight bits in a byte) and you get the actual download speed, which, in this case, would be approximately 1.6 MegaBITS per second. Stand corrected if wrong, but I think I'm in the ballpark! Hope that clears it up for you. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Small b means bits, capital B means Bytes.

There are 8bits in 1byte.

kb = Kilobits KB = Kilobytes
    mb = Megabits MB = Megabytes

So NTL's BB Max service is 3mb or megabits download which is 3 times faster then your IBB service.

I have NTL BB Max and I can highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

If you're downloading something at, say, a transfer rate of 200 Kb/sec, that's actually quoting you 200 KiloBYTES per second. Multiply that by eight (eight bits in a byte) and you get the actual download speed, which, in this case, would be approximately 1.6 MegaBITS per second. Stand corrected if wrong, but I think I'm in the ballpark! Hope that clears it up for you. :)

That is correct. I find it clearer to say 3000kbps is a maximum download of 375 kiloBYTES per second. 3000/8 = 375

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Ok, I already knew all about bytes, bits and advertised BB speeds. But thanks for the testemonial towards NTL, that part was helpful.

On the NTL site it actually says 'Kilobytes', not bits. hence my question here. Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

banquo wrote:
    On the NTL site it actually says 'Kilobytes', not bits. hence my question here. Thanks all.

dunno what part of the ntl site you are looking at??eek.gif

on the one I saw it's kilobits

screenshot (slightly wink.gif edited) attached... (clickable image)

ntlsite8dx.th.jpg

btw - it's not 3000kbps - it's 3072
    1 megabit = 1024kb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

I'm with Eircom (2Mb down 128 up). And just informed that NTL is available in my area.

Thinking of moving to NTL (2Mb down - ?? up). mainly for the increase in Upload speed(although it is a bit cheaper-i'm looking for best performance) - but their website quotes it as 200 up - should this be 256mb up?? like any other providor?

Does any NTL folk know what their max upload speed is?

For Eircom 2Mb connection - I can get a max of about 64kbs on my supposedily 128kb upload connection.

Cheers...

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL 2Mb product is 200Kb up. There is no reason why it sould be 256Kb up, that is just a convention, but it doesn't have to be.

BTW unlike Eircom you will likely get very close to the actual 200Kb speed up. I get 284Kb out of my 3m/300k service.

BBTW don't forget that you will get the 3m/300k service free for the first 3 months, and you can drop down to 2m/200k then (you won't as you will be addicted to it by then!!!)

Advertisement