Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ebey shops in usa

Options
  • 26-08-2005 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

anyone every buy from any of the ebay shops in usa?

im getting a full set for a mate and was wondering was it best to use ups/fedex straight to here, or get them sent to states first and then sent on privately to here.

any expereinces of non eu imports apreciated, espec if anyone was hit with import duty. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭delboy159

I bought a set of Irons from a USA seller on ebay about 6 weeks ago. They were 3-sw Wislon Deep Red 2 Fat shaft irons. €150 to buy and €50 to ship to Ireland via USPS - I had a tracking number, so I knew when it left the US and when it had been delivered to my house - even before I got home. I asked the seller to mark it as a €100 gift - so I avoided any duties. Maybe I would have avoided them anyway, but worth writing that down to be safe.

The exact set is being sold in Clearys for €500 so I saved €300 (even when you include postage etc.)

I had a good experience myself. My only complaint would be that seemingly a "foreign crate" in the US doesn't ship until it's full. My tracking number said the clubs were sitting in the US for a week before they were actually sent for Europe. I had to wait about 2 weeks in all for the clubs to arrive. It's a fairly small gripe - but thats all the facts...

Any other questions - feel free to ask.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i got badly stung on dutyson a set of irons a year ago, with the 21% and the shipping they ended up only being about a 100 cheaper and a lot more hassle.

you can save money but not always, eg above - not a bad deal but the clerys price isn't really a good comparison. I saw the same irons for 300 euro in a couple of different shops here a couple of weeks back (they are an old model) and they are 200 sterling on the web in england. So only really saved 100 - still a decent saving of course.

I'd pick the irons you want, check out potential costs including duty, then compare this to the actual price you could get the clubs for here, check the online shops in the uk etc and then work out is it worth it. I mostly use ebay.co.uk now, to avoid the hassle with duty, savings aren't quite as good but can save a lot.

Also 50 dollar shipping was cheap, if you go airmail it will be more expensive and some people only ship airmail, also most bigger reputable shops won't mark items as gifts so you are likely to get stung for the duty..

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

thats great info guys, realy apreciate it. :)

daveym, the auction is already won, and i couldnt find them in ebay europe, i didnt know the vat rate was 21%, did they calculate it as 21% of the price you bought them for, or 21% of their market value here. was there any other extra doorstep charges.

delboy, USPS, is that the standard government postal service. not a frieght comp like fedex?
    50E is a great price, is that uninsured?
    is 100e the limit for a gift? or is that just small enough figure to keep light fingers away

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well I am the biggest pundit for golfing equip on ebay as you all should know.

When sent by Usps(united states postal service) it come sinto Ireland and then dispatched by An Post. An post recieve ten large crates of parcels and they randomly select two parcels from each tray, and they open them and add vat, you are very unlucky if you get picked, as I was picked on my recent 2 ball purchase =(.

I know this is fact because my dad works in Post. But if sent by DHL,UPS etc etc tax is put onto it and duty and you pay thru the balls. So try get by Usps. All items are usually insured on, make sure you check the peoples ratings and feedback and you shouldnt have problems.

cheers doc,
    so what charge did you get on the 2ball, 21% of the price on the invoice in the package, or 21% of the value in the shops here.

• Advertisement

What sometimes happens is the following.

Example.

A USA shop has a set of Taylor Made RAC O/S selling for 500 in their shop, but on ebay they start bidding at 200. You win the bid for 250. You have saved over 250 euro. What happens is when the shop go to put the clubs through post they put the original store selling price on it, not what you paid for, this is for insurance reasons. So you will get charged the VAT on the original price, so make sure you check this out and dont get ripped off. Get in touch with the shop before and if you notice problems after print out the receipt of payment and bring it to the post office or delivery company.

You shouldnt get too much problems.

and i got charged 21% on the invoice of the package, what i won the bid for.

oh ok, i think i get the picture now, cheers.
    hope the putters working out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

every set of clubs I found on ebay usa were clone clubs. is this typical enough? And what are they like?

Just make sure to read the whole article description carefully, and if in doubt message the seller. If you are sent a clone and neither the article nor the sellers msg stated it you are entiteld by law to a full refund.

Just make sure to read, there is many and many a clone out there but many a real club too, feel free to link an item your looking at here and we can all give our opinions, its easy to psot the fakes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

had no trouble with clone clubs, no worries with this from the likes of 2-balls golf, check the feedback.

on shipping as the doc says usps via an post is a much less likely to get stung for VAT, and is also cheaper.

it is also slower, unreliable etc etc.
    I got stung on my clubs via fed ex, but was not worried about them going missing either, be careful as doc aslo says of the invoice, sometimes they also mark down the shipping in the total (instead of as a seperate item) and if so and you get caught for VAT you will pay VAT on the shipping to.

Advertisement