Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assigning an ip address to a specific mac address?

• 26-08-2005 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I'm using port forwarding to give functionality for specific programs. The problem is that I have two systems connected to my router to which either are assigned and ip of *100 or *101. The problem I'm having is that I keep having to adjust my port forwarding to different ip addresses when the router assigns a different ip address to my system. Is there anyway I could setup my router to assign a specific system an specific ip address by means of identifying it by.. let's say MAC address. I'm aware I can manually configure tcp/ip and assign an ip manually but the problem is, this won't be assigned by the router, so it's useless. If it would allow me to specify a wildcard then the ip address wouldn't be important, but it doesn't. :(

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe there is a simpler solution to what I'm attempting to do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What I do, is assign the IP you want in your PC's network settings. Don't use DHCP at all. That way you will have the right IP at the right computer.
    [edit]
    Sorry, hadn't properly read your post and you seem to think this is useless, it's not. Just assign the required IP in the range set by the router. So, for example if your router is 192.168.1.1, then give the PC's an IP like 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101. There is no reason why this shouldn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Will that work? Since the router is not assigning the ip address, will it know the ip address of the pc? If it does, then cool beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Yes it will. Works perfectly for me anyway. The router doesn't have to supply the address, it will forward to a particular IP regardless of how it was set, as long as it exists of course and is in the propper range.

That's fine, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

What kind of router do you have? Normally, every router has an option where you set the MAC address of the PC you want to a specific IP address. That way, the only pc that ever gets that IP address, is the one you mapped to that IP address.

• Advertisement

It's a linksys 802.11g router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

either change the DHCP range, and statically assign one below it in your PC settings, and leave the rest dynamic or, change the DHCP range, and set static DHCP for your pc.

Advertisement