Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless & ISDN

• 26-08-2005 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

My parents have dual band ISDN at home (no BB available yet) connected to a PC via USB. I'm going to setup a wireless router for them (erm, and partly for me to surf the web on my laptop when I go home coz my mum hates wires all over the place :D)

Any thoughts on the best way to do this? I'm guessing something like connecting the wireless router to the PC via ethernet and then enabling internet connection sharing...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

That would work but there is no need for a wireless router in this config a wireless access point should do the trick. Just connect it to the NIC on the PC (may need to crossover here, or get a hub/switch)and then turn on ICS.
    Another way would be to get an ISDN wireless modem. Eircom used something similar called a webramp but I think they are EOL now. If you could get one similar you could replace the USB device and use this to dialup on the 2 channels, then connect the NIC on the PC to one of its 4 LAN ports and also connected the WAP to another port - a bit messy.
    Internet Connection Sharing in XP or 2000 is a bit of a nightmare but best of luck anyway.
    Why no BB, where abouts are you located?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

ive dual isdn and that sounds very interesting bb is not in my area yet aswell
    azzeretti dont be so shocked most of ireland isnt covered besides the cities and i live in a big enoug town called 'Hospital' in south east limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I didn't mean it to sound that way. I also live in the middle of nowhere so I know what you are up against. I know Hospital well, and as far as I know there is a private wireless provider down threre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

we were on the bb rural scheme and they totally screwed it up was supposed to have it over a year ago and still nothing all we have is satellite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

if you can still find them for sale a 3com lan hub ( non wireless) with an ISDN card built in would be your best bet and then connect a wireless access point into this box , basically similar to you average broadband router but has ISDN instead

you really need to secure the wireless end though as it not broadband and a outside univited connection is running up your phone bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 the_vick

No BB available yet as it's too far from the exchange. Might just take my own wifi router down there and try internet connection sharing before I splash out the cash on another.

Thanks..

Advertisement