Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying used car - what documents to get?

Options
  • 26-08-2005 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a used car this afternoon in a private sale. I'm not sure what documents I need to get - he has shown me the car manual and a log book showing service history, but from a legal perspective what documents to I need to make the car officially mine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He will need to fill out the change of ownership section of the vehicle reg. cert and send it off. You're trusting him to do it, but it's in his own interests. If you get caught speeding and he hasn't done it, he gets the ticket. What else you'll need is the NCT cert (I think there's a change of ownership section on that, that he sends off), and once the transaction is complete, he should give you the manual and log book straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

All you'll get is the NCT Cert.

As Seamus says, the seller will need to fill out the change of ownership section of the vehicle reg. cert and send it off. You also need to sign this as the new owner, as well as fill in your postal details.

If fact, if you bring an envelope and a stamp, maybe you can get him to post it while you're there.....its in both you're interests to get it changed quickly, as you won't be able to tax it tl you get the new book/cert back.

Can take 3 weeks to come back from Shannon.

MtM

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

seamus wrote:
    you'll need is the NCT cert (I think there's a change of ownership section on that
    not by my recollection.
    I would advise getting a receipt also signed by the seller!

Advertisement