Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Lights may be visible from Ireland tonight

Options
  • 26-08-2005 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Northern Lights may be visible from Ireland tonight
    26/08/2005 - 07:53:03

Star-gazers will be hoping for clear skies tonight following predictions that the Northern Lights may be visible from Ireland.

The display is normally seen only in the polar regions, but Astronomy Ireland has said it may visible from Ireland tonight following two explosions on the sun earlier this week.

However, forecasters are predicting cloudy skies, which could ruin the event for many astronomy enthusiasts.

The Northern Lights, or aurora borealis, are caused when radiation accelerating from the sun collides with the Earth's atmosphere, creating a vast display of shimmering lights and colours.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Anyone spot them last night? Cloud cover was only patchy here, but there was no sign of them around 12:30 when I went out to look for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 adharc

Sometimes they can be spectacular even in Ireland. About 10/15 years ago I was driving frrom Sligo to Castlebar at midnight and there was a clear view of the northern sky from the road near Swinford. I saw what appeared to be seachlights on the horizon up to about 25degrees. I stopped and was rewarded by a spectacular "searchlight" display all over the northern sky for about 15 mins. I rushed home and dragged my unfortunate wife from her bed to see the lights but by the time we got to another viewing spot they had gone. Well worth looking out for though.

Advertisement