Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick of Soccer ? (Rant)

• 26-08-2005 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Are you getting sick of soccer and the way it is going?

Sick of Rio Ferdinand stalling over a £100,000 a week pay deal ?
    Sick of Robert Pires tripping over blades of grass, rolling around in agony ?
    Sick of the magic sponge working so well?
    Sick of Pay per View?
    Sick of having to log in and register just to access your favourite clubs website?
    Sick of Man Utd, Aresenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in their own mini league?
    Sick of Lee Bowyer walking away from court after an Asian kid was nearly kicked to death?

I love seeing players giving 100% for their supporters, in return these players get idolised, the sport is cherished and passed on to the next generation, people are happy to pay their money to watch them, and life for all of us is enhanced.

I've followed soccer for just about 30 years now (I'm 34) and every year a little bit more of me gets closer to the GAA and further away from Soccer.

Namby Pamby Soccer Players :(

Just wondered do any of you feel the same way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Sick of Rio Ferdinand stalling over a £100,000 a week pay deal ? signed weeks ago
    Sick of Robert Pires tripping over blades of grass, rolling around in agony ? same old same old but at least out of french squad
    Sick of the magic sponge working so well? they use spray now! more high tech
    Sick of Pay per View? didnt order it cause crap games....just have normal Sky...good selection and actually with Net2 and Setanta and UTV there is more soccer than ever on normal channels
    Sick of having to log in and register just to access your favourite clubs website? every website is the same....dont use web
    Sick of Man Utd, Aresenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in their own mini league? most leagues in europe are the same
    Sick of Lee Bowyer walking away from court after an Asian kid was nearly kicked to death? years ago! get over it!!! how many people in ireland have walked away as well

I love seeing players giving 100% for their supporters, in return these players get idolised, the sport is cherished and passed on to the next generation, people are happy to pay their money to watch them, and life for all of us is enhanced.

I've followed soccer for just about 30 years now (I'm 34) and every year a little bit more of me gets closer to the GAA and further away from Soccer.

Namby Pamby Soccer Players :(

True

No........I am a big GAA supporter as well but I watch alot of soccer as well...you will find alot of people here are the same....I dont post on the GAA forum because half the time it is childish.....seen one good thread started about team of championship which ended up in a joke because of people puttin "Jayo" and Cluxton forward.....I left it then and havent been back

If you dont want to watch soccer then dont......dont pay Sky for the channels......easy......you can still watch alot of soccer on RTE/UTV/BBC and so on!!! I still watch Super Sunday but will flick over to the GAA and which ever is a better game wins.....e.g. the Galway-Kilkenny game last week instead of Chelsea - Arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

No, I still like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Culchie wrote:
    Folks,

Sick of Rio Ferdinand stalling over a £100,000 a week pay deal ?
    Sick of Robert Pires tripping over blades of grass, rolling around in agony ?
    Sick of the magic sponge working so well?
    Sick of Pay per View?
    Sick of having to log in and register just to access your favourite clubs website?
    Sick of Man Utd, Aresenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in their own mini league?
    Sick of Lee Bowyer walking away from court after an Asian kid was nearly kicked to death?

Can't say I get upset about it as you :)

Not so much sick of rio stalling, but sick of how the media get stuck for stories during the summer and blow these issues out of the water.

Can't say pay per view annoys me that much, obviously I'd rather not have to pay it, but 60e for 50 matches isn't bad if you're intrested in the matches being played.

as for the big guns and their mini league, hopefully with the likes of spurs looking to buy in some quality this might change, doubt it tho :)

Lee bowyer just annoys me full stop.

I think overall the summer is full of crap talk and I'm glad it's over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No.

Anyway you only mention Premiership issues there - it's not all there is to football you know. If you feel that way, give the eircom League a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Nil.

I love soccer.

FORZA SHELS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yes, but it'll be cold day in hell when I like any other sport more than football.

That said tho most of those points you've brought up are directly concerning the premiershít so I can't really sympathise with you in that regard. It's like asking do I feel sorry for a junkie who's fúcked himself up on heroin? not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

No.

Anyway you only mention Premiership issues there - it's not all there is to football you know. If you feel that way, give the eircom League a try.

You know, I think I might just do that :)

Keep the flak flying, it beats the transfers and rumours threads anyway. :rolleyes:

ziggy67 wrote:
    A Court of Law's decision has what to do with football exactly?? :confused:

Oh.... absolutely nothing at all :rolleyes:

Me and you would have got exactly the same treatment

Besides this is a rant, no time for rational thinking or being legally correct and reasonable...get with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I would die if there were no football because I eat , breath, and drink the stuff.

Come on you red devils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Culchie wrote:
    You know, I think I might just do that :)

Keep the flak flying, it beats the transfers and rumours threads anyway. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I reckon you'll love it. I only got into it this summer myself. I was off works a couple of months due to illness and I couldn't drink or really go out. A couple of my mates decided to bring me to a Rovers match (when Rovers beat Shels at Tolka) and I've been hooked ever since. There's nothing like the craic at the match.

ziggy67 wrote:
    Maybe, maybe not but its hardly a reason to be p***ed off with football if a court can't treat everyone equally.

Hmmm, it's a good enough reason for me. :D It's part of the whole crap, same way as jackson got off in USA, not what you did, but who you are.

Yes, sorry, it still qualifies for a rant :)

Honestly, I reckon you'll love it. I only got into it this summer myself. I was off works a couple of months due to illness and I couldn't drink or really go out. A couple of my mates decided to bring me to a Rovers match (when Rovers beat Shels at Tolka) and I've been hooked ever since. There's nothing like the craic at the match.

Rovers ... fellahs with the hoops right ;) Rubbish.

Used to watch Shels a few years ago, think I'll start going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Pigman II wrote:
    That said tho most of those points you've brought up are directly concerning the premiershít so I can't really sympathise with you in that regard. It's like asking do I feel sorry for a junkie who's fúcked himself up on heroin? not really.

^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

While i can definately say No Im not sick of soccer, i do know what you're getting at. The fact that its as much if not more about money and business as is about football - the raw sport. It is disheartening to be watching GAA and see the pure passion and effort these people put into their clubs and counties simply for the love of the game. Take the money and fame away from the top levels of football and id say you'd have a lot less footballers! Club loyalty is nigh on dead, bar a few exceptions (eg.Shearer). It kinda sucks that a lot of the fans care much more about the teams then the teams themselves do!

At the same time, for this entire close season, i've spent most of my free time at work on here and browsing every bit of soccer news i could find on every website i know just to get my football fix! Sure the vast majority of my posts are football ones, all since april, and im counting down the days till I get to play again.

So yes i do find some aspects of it sickening, but I still couldn't live without it!

ziggy67 wrote:
    OK i get it now....

Footballers the bastards!!!

How many innocent blades of grass every week at the feet of these overpaid nancy boys!!!!!

This ranting is great :)

yeh, cheers, consider my good deed for the day....group therapy if you like :)

We should do this every week ... RANT ON FRIDAY or something.

Anyway, enough of the nicetitties (wrong spelling ;) )

I'd love to see Sean Boylan or John Maughan in charge of them bunch of overpaid posers at Nottingham Forest. Lad's lets start with 40 laps of the pitch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Saturation point.

Match of the Day if fine for 1 hour. Now its 1 1/2 hours.

its all too much.

And whoever said about Alan Shearer and loyalty. The guy gets £50,000 a week. :rolleyes:

Advertisement