Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controlling how MS Word opens in browser

Options
  • 26-08-2005 3:27pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

I'm wondering if it is possible to use querystrings to control the way word opens in the browser. For example I have someone who wants it to open in print format view instead of normal view and no matter what I do it insists on opening in normal. So I got to thinking of how pdfs can take page querystrings etc. and thought maybe you can manipulate word similarly. So anyone know if this is possible? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Is he just linking to .docs or is he using some sort of ActiveX nightmare to embed them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Simply a url pointing to a .doc file. Nothing fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

In that case, it's probably not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I don't know about query strings. I use an ActiveX myself into which I have some Word VBA code to open the file with Word and not IE and automate some stuff.

However it seems you can do something with VBscript. It looks form this article that it exposes some of the Word Object model. What you can do I dunno.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q178222

What do you need to do?

Advertisement