Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaza/West Bank = Northern Ireland

Options
  • 26-08-2005 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Does anybody think the Isreali government in all it's wisdom have ever seriosly looked at the parallels between the occupied teritories and the occupied six counties?

Ulster Plantations = Jews imported into seized Arab land.
    Nobody in Ireland/Palastine woke up one day and said "Hey neighbour I am going to clear off my land that my family and people have been living on for millenium and give it to you, please conquer me."

Maybe the Isreali's looked at this and thought, four hundred years of this and said no. It's too late to expell people from the occupied six counties but I'd like some opinions on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Are they similar? Kind of.

Did the Israeli government see the parallel? It was probably pointed out to them a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

They ploughed ahead anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MrC

It's not entirely certain that a lot of those people had lived there for a millennia. Plus some of the locals sold the land to the Jews.

Then there's the Americans giving a lot of money to the Jews in Israel and the Catholics in the Six Counties, though without any inclination to live there.

There are plenty of BMW and Audi driving well off Catholics in the North. Are they oppressed in parallel with the Arabs in the Gaza strip who do live in one of the most resource poor areas on the planet? Or are they like the Israelis?

What of the disappearance of the fair skinned Christian Palestinians? Have the Catholics in the North ethnically cleansed themselves? Parallel?

What of the issue of the West Bank? That was intended to be part of a Palestinian state and instead was annexed by Jordan. A large part of the Jordanian population is Palestinian and those people are oppressed by their Arab 'brothers'. Parallel?

How often does the State in the North take the bulldozers to people's houses?

How many Castlecourts or Dundrums are there in Gaza?

Granted, Israeli pilots did speak Irish to each other during combat, but I'm sure the Israelis don't spend too much time thinking about supposed parallels between here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I agree with MC, there are no real parallels, and there hasn't been for some time. The settlers of the Ulster Plantation have been here for 400 odd years now and as such have become a part of the Irish nation while in Palestine the settling programme is ongoing and it is now being secured by the new Apartheid Wall.

Advertisement