Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'OMG' Irish broadband is soooooo Crap

• 26-08-2005 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Dont get me started on eircom broadband which is only 0.5 meg unless you want to be robbed of €50+ a month for a 1 meg and a misserable 128k upload speed connection and is so anoying cause i have eircom broadband and cant get any other broadband in my area :mad: the closest thing to a good connection is NTL which is providing a 3meg (there highest connection), so i think it will be a long while before we see anything good in this country, By the way the standard speed in most of europe 'FACT' is 8meg , i mean alot of european countrys cant afford food but they get 8megs, and the uk will have up to 10meg next year. WHEN ARE WE GONA BE TREATED FAIRLY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The world is flat. FACT.

hrmm, doesnt work for me... how do you do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

Snaga you prob work for one of these broadband companies i flamed but if you dont, and you just dont believe me then please just check it out about 8meg being standard in most of europe check it out because im not lieing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Thats nothing new, IBB have always been the suck when it comes to wireless broadband. Not only are they taking on more customers than they can handle, but the service level has gone downhill in terms of: customer support (no feedback from them to explain whats going on at a particular time when the service drops for a number of hours at an exchange, i.e. curtosy call.), bandwidth trotteling (fluctuating like a mofo, up and down), packet loss, or no service at all.

And still they advertise this lament excuse of a fixed-line alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

I find my eircom broadband good most days :) . Ok, its not the fastest but im not dl mountains of stuff ;) , just playing some css, and if that runs without lag they are doing a good job :D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Swatwolf wrote:
    Dont get me started on eircom broadband
    It's not too late to stop yourself...
    Swatwolf wrote:
    Dont get me started on eircom broadband which is only 0.5 meg unless you want to be robbed of €50+ a month
    Change services.
    Swatwolf wrote:
    for a 1 meg
    ... ''for a 1 meg' ?
    Swatwolf wrote:
    and cant get any other broadband in my area
    Right: that's not Eircom's fault. Is your dissatisfaction with Eircom, our your personal situation?
    Swatwolf wrote:
    the closest thing to a good connection is NTL which is providing a 3meg (there highest connection), so i think it will be a long while before we see anything good in this country
    1. IBB provide a 4mb up/down service with a 6:1 contention ratio.
    2. The word is '' they're '', not '' there ''. Moron.
    3. I'm confused: You seem to have many problems...

a) That Eircom don't provide a fast enough service
    b) That Eircom do provide a fast enough service, but you can't afford it.
    c) You live in the wrong area that you can't get NTL bb, the only suitably fast service around.

Swatwolf wrote:
    , By the way the standard speed in most of europe 'FACT' is 8meg
    In OUR language, we don't use a capital letter after a comma unless we want people to think we're under 12 or stupid. 'Fact'.
    Swatwolf wrote:
    i mean alot of european countrys cant afford food but they get 8megs, and the uk will have up to 10meg next year.
    Name three of them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Wow banquo, fcking pwn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

pwn??

hey doc' im on a 56k dum modem, i might be getting wireless (its my last shot at broadband) but i think i have line of sight. Ill be an old man before i see 1meg.

-->> end of story

So if you think 512kdown /128k up is bad try 4k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭kenny

Isn't the entry level on Eircom 1meg these days?

I signed up for the 0.5meg service and got upgraded to a whole meg after a month or two with no extra charge.

Its not the quickest for the money but its very reliable so far, touch wood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

jubbly wrote:
    So if you think 512kdown /128k up is bad try 4k :D

No, you mean 56kbps. You download at 4kB/second, but are connected at 56kilobits per second. Entry broadband is 1 megabit, or 1024 kilobits per second, and you normally download at between 100 and 128kiloBytes per second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I have 512kbps up and 128kbps down:(
    Paying 100 a month for this satellite broadband. Its a big change after having so many choices of service providers in the US.

I guess thats what happens when you move to the west of ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Swatwolf wrote:
    Dont get me started on eircom broadband which is only 0.5 meg unless you want to be robbed of €50+ a month for a 1 meg and a misserable 128k upload speed connection and is so anoying cause i have eircom broadband and cant get any other broadband in my area the closest thing to a good connection is NTL which is providing a 3meg (there highest connection), so i think it will be a long while before we see anything good in this country, By the way the standard speed in most of europe 'FACT' is 8meg , i mean alot of european countrys cant afford food but they get 8megs, and the uk will have up to 10meg next year. WHEN ARE WE GONA BE TREATED FAIRLY

Stop wining, all i read here every day is those lucky enough like yourself to be able to get broadband wining on and on about how slow it is. If your not happy just go back to dial-up like thousands of people in the country who have no choice, i'd say you'd last about 5 seconds without "Your Crappy Service" from IBB/Eircom or whoever, it is always the same here whatever people have they comes along and complain, they never tend to think about those who are less fortunate. It took me over a year to get a decent reasnoble satellite based service and know I and others are working to bring Broadband to my community in general, and all i read is the likes of this complaining that investment should be put into increasing speeds for those who have already got broadband. Making the service accesable for the masses should be priority not focusing on those with it already.

JEEZ when will people here ever shut up complaining, if your not happy use your vote, presuming your over 18 that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

There is no 512k DSL package from eircom that I'm aware of.

This is a horrible thread and I will probably close it soon but I have a sneaking suspicion someone is going to do something to get themselves banned so I'll leave it open for a while as an idiot trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Indeed, Gilblet is spot on.
    Eircoms basic package is 1megabit for €30 a month.
    not .5 megabit for €50.
    Dont exaggerate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

netwhizkid wrote:
    Making the service accesable for the masses should be priority not focusing on those with it already.

JEEZ when will people here ever shut up complaining, if your not happy use your vote, presuming your over 18 that is.

I disagree, getting it right, like other developed countries, before bringing it to the masses is the best solution. Then when they reach the masses it will be done right! i.e. BB providers can learn from thier mistakes too! Do we want BS bb serive in Ireland? no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Swatwolf wrote:
    Snaga you prob work for one of these broadband companies i flamed but if you dont, and you just dont believe me then please just check it out about 8meg being standard in most of europe check it out because im not lieing
    The word is "lying". Snaga isn't calling you a liar, he's calling you a dumb asshole. FYI.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

dahamsta wrote:
    The word is "lying". Snaga isn't calling you a liar, he's calling you a dumb asshole. FYI.

adam

lmfao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's true, you work on getting it perfect on the small scale and expanding. It would be a disaster to put everyone on DSL with a less that stable system.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement