Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

shopping for engagement ring in new york

• 26-08-2005 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

hello all........has any one done this and is it worth the trip as regards money saved on purchase. Ive heard about the diamond district but was told that you have to have an invite or something? is that right ?
    My budget is about 10k euros.....is it better to shop here...

I really dont have any idea but any advice/info greatly appreciated..... :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

my sister in law did research on where my brother should buy her wedding ring and she found it was cheaper for the 2 of them to go to South Africa (where most diamonds come from anyway) have a 2 week holiday and get the ring than buy the same identical ring in NY !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

No disrespect, but - Jesus, if you're asking about saving money, how about aiming a bit lower than spending €10K on a ring...?!?

Maybe it's none of my goddamn business... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭seph

hi thanks for info on sa...ill look into it !
    hey peckerhead...........the way i look at it is that its once in a life time thing so id rather just go for it......as regards saving money what i was trying to say was that i dont want to be a victim of rip off ireland and if i cant get the same ring cheaper in new york why not go for it and have a holiday as well. cheers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

not a PI issue, better off with the AH people.

by the way, if you want to buy diamonds, get a flight to south africa or dubai and use the immense amount of money saved to have a really good weekend....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

My budget is around 10k euros
    You have got to be joking?
    You would seriously waste someone's hard earned money by blowing it on a lousy ring?

Of all the things to waste money on, engagement rings have to take the biscuit. They have little form and no function.

All I can say is God help the man who has to fund such an extravagence, as it's highly unlikely to stop at the engagement ring.

What next? A €30k wedding? A €5k wedding dress?

How about a reality check? €1000 is more than enough for an engagement ring, it's only a symbol. Anything more and you have serious issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

man i wish i had your problems, 10,000 euro for a ring, are u mad. Would it not be better to buy something a little less expensive and use the change and take your gf on a 2 week holiday and propose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Don't believe everything you read about rip-off Ireland - It's just a cliched catchphrase now. I'd share the concern expressed by Ficus about being ripped off. Unless you're an expert, how will you know they aren't giving you a lump of glass. What kind of comeback will you have against a seller in US or SA or Dubai?

I do think you'd be crazy to spend that kind of money on a ring, unless you're absolutely rolling in moolah. If you're going to be struggling to buy a house in the next couple of years, the lump of ice on your finger won't be much consolation. If you do buy an expensive one, make sure you get 'all risks' insurance on it straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Do they have Argos in New York?

actually, i engaged with a wedding ring, and then let me partner choose her own engagment ring.
    actually, michael perry in the powerscourt centre made all of our rings and jewlery, highly recommended.
    so then i went a surprised her on her wedding day with a very bloody expensive diamond necklace.

dont spend all your money on one ring. it wont show you love her more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

seph wrote:

Is it better to shop here, do these vultures deserve a cent i think not. as for €10k, well if you've got the dosh and your lady's hot well - why not ?
    Do they have Argos in New York?
    No they have very little european stores in the USA, No one would appreciate a bit of elizabeth duke / chav jewlery. The only euopean stores i've seen in the USA are aldi out in central pennsylvania.

As for you seph, try Lord and Taylors in Manhatten, i'm not sure if they do jewlery but they have a 10 story store with different departments on each store. It is a nice store that i visted last year, i didn't get a chance these last few weeks that i was in NYC between high-powered executive business meetings and everything else it just lapsed mymind.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

seph wrote:
    hello all........has any one done this and is it worth the trip as regards money saved on purchase. Ive heard about the diamond district but was told that you have to have an invite or something? is that right ?

I really dont have any idea but any advice/info greatly appreciated..... :)

The Diamond District is two avenues of diamond wholesalers not far from Times Square. While it's primarily wholesale, I know that there are many stores in that area selling directly to the public.

Don't expect it to be as romantic and classy as Tiffany's though, there's none of this "Diamonds are forever" nonsense; they sell diamonds as commodities in the same way that electrical stores sell fridges.

Also, given that nearly all of the retailers are Jewish there's very little chance that you'll be conned, or maybe I'm just stereotyping Jewish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Do what i did price it on Tiffanys american wesbite , print off the page go to china town and show it to nice people behind stalls and buy it for like $40
    Then go to tiffnays buy somfin stupidly cheap for $20 (not much there but look on 3rd floor)

Then like a ninja swith the rings in the nice pretty package.

Save yourself about $9940

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

Try Antwerp - it the diamond centre of Europe and you'll get a cheapo flight with Ryanair .

Neuro wrote:

Don't expect it to be as romantic and classy as Tiffany's though, there's none of this "Diamonds are forever" nonsense; they sell diamonds as commodities in the same way that electrical stores sell fridges.

actually, i thought tiffany's was one of the most tackiest and tasteless stores i have ever been in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

actually, i thought tiffany's was one of the most tackiest and tasteless stores i have ever been in.

I beg to differ, have you ever been to Macy's ? talk about a cold unfeeling type store. It remind me a bit of penny's except you feel comfortable there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Everything about this post makes me angry.

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Angry, jealous, bitter. All the one really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Is it a bannable offence to badmouth banned posters like Wetpisspkid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Did you really need to mention your budget? Surely that's a private matter and irrelevant to the question you posted. Whether your spending 1K or 10K you will get better value stateside. Ireland was, is and always will be a little rip-off republic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement