Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your Favourite Beer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

smithwicks is the pint of choice.
    the odd guinness depending on where I go out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Heiniken or 1664 if I'm feeling expensive.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Bulmers
    Bergadler Pils (Lidl)
    Stella Artois

I'd try most other beers, though absolutely detest Heineken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭irishboy99_

Staropramen (Czech Beer) €2.49 for a 500ml bottle @5% can't go wrong... on special offer in Tesco for only €1.99 a bottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭technobob

Heineken
    Singah
    Corona (strangely the girly lime makes all the difference)
    Bulmers
    Koppaberg

all very much likes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Delirium Tremems, Duvel, Hoegaarden,Kwak, Piraat, Orval, Hoegaarden Grand Cru, Judas, Any of the Leffes, Kasteel, Wickse Witte, Barbar.
    Any of these are fine fine beers. Damn I miss living in Holland, where they have a choice of decent beers in the supermarket.

Edit:
    Oh yeah, and MGD is officially not beer. Proven in court. Read all about it.
    http://www.readingeagle.com/berksblogs/archivedstories/1413813.asp.

From the article:
    "But Sprecher ruled, in an order made available Tuesday, that prosecutors failed to prove Miller Genuine Draft is indeed beer."

Hardly a surprise TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Krusovice or Hoegaarden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Tuborg and Corona Extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've just tried a franziskaner weissbier on the reading of this thread... hmmm, eeeeeenteresteeeeeeng....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Amstel is the best for when ur drinking at festivals or before heading out. Only 1.30 sumthin a can and its far from piss. Better than Harp in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've just tried a franziskaner weissbier on the reading of this thread... hmmm, eeeeeenteresteeeeeeng....

Was it poured properly?

Makes quite the difference, pouring a weissbier proper-like. Gets all the yeast back into the liquid, makes the head good and frothy.

According to Franziskaner themselves (If I recall correctly), the glass should be cold and just rinsed in water, still wet ideally. Beginning with a very shallow angle, pour it in smoothly and constantly until there's about an inch left in the bottle. Then give that a good swirling around to scoop up any settled yeast and froth it up a little before pouring it into the glass. The head should pile up over the rim of the glass.

Weissbier- How do you pour yours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I have to say I'm quite partial to a nice cold bottle of Budvar if they bar has it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Mine's a pint of Budweiser, will seldom drink anything else. Though my uncle gives me stick about it all the time saying that "it's like making love in a canoe... it's the nearest thing to water!"

When I'm in the nite club, due to many bad experience of bad pints, I'll stick to bottles of bud rather than pints, though lately i've found myself drinking alot of bottles of Miller in the nite club now!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

franziskaner without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

memphis wrote:
    "it's like making love in a canoe... it's the nearest thing to water!"
    I think he means that it's "fcuking close to water", otherwise the joke makes no sense.
    I have to admit that the guys who brew Coors, Miller and Bud are *the* most talented brewers in the world. They manage to consistently brew the exact same same tastless stuff, despite there being so many potential things that can go wrong with the process (mutated yeast, different strength of malt, different temperature....) and produce an off flavour. With most other beers there's somewhere for that flavour to hide, but not with C/M/B.

Do you actually like the taste(lessness) of bud though? I mean seriously? Have you ever tried any of the Belgian beers, or a good Ale? I mean there are so many beers out there that have a taste, I really fail to understand *why* someone could settle for C/M/B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Budvar does it for me.... amazing taste!

Followed closely by TsingTao!

Worthy mentions also are Flensburg Pils, Paulaner, Franziskaner (God bless the Rheinheitsgebot :) ) and Singha. Heineken in Holland is lovely, can't stand the s**t they serve in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

I love Curim, after that probably Erdinger. Looking forward to trying a mixed case of Belgian beer and maybe Czech ones after that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

V1llianous wrote:
    I love Curim, after that probably Erdinger. Looking forward to trying a mixed case of Belgian beer and maybe Czech ones after that !

Do Czech first, much more subtle than the Belgians, which tend to be strong and sickly. (IMHO)

Budwar, Staropramen and Pilsner Urquell would be a good place to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

What i drink usually depends on where i am.
    Gotten a taste for Newcastle ale lately though and am very fond of
    corona
    desperados
    erdinger
    budvar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If in a (decent) pub, Guinness.

If at home, Stella, 1664 or Warsteiner.

Budweiser is conclusive proof that advertising works. It really is horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmmm - I'd like to see a poll-type response to this... any objections to adding a poll to this thread? If not, then can people list what they think should be included in this poll? I'd envisage something like:

Guinness
    Other stouts - Murphys, Beamish etc.
    Premium lagers - Stella, Nastro Azzuro [other suggestions]
    Other lagers - Budweiser, Miller etc. [Or American lagers?]
    'Continental' lagers - Corona, San Miguel [& others]
    Weissbeers - [sort by country of origin? any ideas?]
    Ale - [standard available on tap]
    Special Ale - [suggestions?]

So on and so forth - what ye think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Nah - too many varieties. If you do add, make sure its multiple choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Zebra3 wrote:
    Budweiser is conclusive proof that advertising works. It really is horrendous.

Yeah, it's amazing what some ads can do. I'm in Germany at the moment and you'd actually have to do some searching to find some. There was uproar recently as Budweiser got exclusive rights to serving beer at World Cup games. Hopefully we can bring in our own :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

its a toss up between carlsberg, tuborg and miller.

BUD IS THE DEVIL!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've been drinking a beer my parents got in Spain recently called S. Jorge (I only saw the . recently and used to call it Sjorge in a Norse accent, to much amusement. I suppose the little bloke on the horse with a sword should have been a giveaway...)

Nice, crisp and tasty. And ridiculously cheap, too. If you find yourself in Spainlandia, give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

Desperados or Corona have to be the nicest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Labatt Blue

Although I havent been able to get my hands on it over here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mother Kelly's in Talbot Street have been selling Labatts on draught at €3 a pint recently. Not sure if the draught is Blue or not. Labatts is all right, although neither it or Molson got me particularly excited when I was in Canada, but at least they're better than Bud and Miller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Cant say I found molson particularly appealing but couldn’t get enough of Labatt blue, might pop in there next time I’m in town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Anothe beer i found very tasty is a beer called Little Creatures from Fremantle in Western Australia. It ranks up there with the best. Anyone i know who tasted it have said same also including cider drinkers :p

Advertisement