Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your Favourite Beer?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Erdinger Weissbier Crystal Clear(The one with the Silver label) is by far the best out there IMO

The other Erdingers are nice too

Usually when they dont have Erdinger (which is quite often) I get Heineken.
    When Im cheap Tuborg

Oh Heads up to ye beer lovers out there

Christmas is coming around and thats when Erdinger bring out their 'winter brew'

schnee.gif

I swear to **** its the best ****ing beer ever. Its so fruity and fresh but goes down so easy. Its like the beer dances in your mouth but its not too strong that by the time your on your 3 bottle you get the 'bad after test'

At the bottom

Fecking perfection I tell ya so keep an eye out in the off'ies for it. You wont be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Shamrok wrote:
    I haven't seen any of the Munich beers (Löwenbräu, Paulaner, Erdinger, Augustiner etc.) on tap here

Just catching up on this lot - Erdinger isn't so much a Munich beer as a Munich airport one. That's why you won't see it at Oktoberfest. The thing you need to remember about Erdinger and other Weißbier is that it doesn't benefit in any way from being poured from a tap, and many argue that it's superior from the bottle. Certainly, that's how most of Munich pubs I frequented served it.

My own favourite beer is also a Weißbier, not Erdinger, but a near neighbour, Grünbach, about 10km from Erding. Grünbacher brew both Hell and Dunkel flavours of this yummy beer, which, unfortunately, you can't get in Ireland (but please, somebody, prove me wrong). Dammit, it's hard enough to get even in Munich.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Funkstard wrote:
    I've heard alot of the German beer doesn't give you as bad a hangover because there's alot less chemicals in them? Is this true?

Almost true. The reason they don't give you as bad a hangover is that they have no chemicals in them whatsoever. This used to be law, but with the EU and the obligation to allow foreign beers in[*] it's now merely a matter of pride.

Dermot

[*] you could even get Harp in Irish pubs last I saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Walter_Sobcek

Very few beers would have chemicals in them. I work for a brewery and the only difference that could affect a hangover would be whether or not the beer is pasteurised or not (most bottles are - draft kegs are not).
    Irish people have been fed terrible beer for years. Best beer in my opinion is Leffe Brun, very hard to get though and rare on draft.
    Anyone who likes Corona with lime doesn't know beer, the lime is used to mask the taste (being in a clear glass bottle, it doesn't travel well). The idea was originally invented because the hot climate in Mexico and lack of brewing technology would make the beer go skunky very quickly so they used lime to take the edge off the taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Anyone who likes Corona with lime doesn't know beer, the lime is used to mask the taste (being in a clear glass bottle, it doesn't travel well). The idea was originally invented because the hot climate in Mexico and lack of brewing technology would make the beer go skunky very quickly so they used lime to take the edge off the taste.

Very interesting reading,I myself fell victim to Corona this weekend while in Liverpool,it was going for £1.25 a bottle,I think thats what swayed me more than the lime gimic:D .And by jaysus am I paying for it now,going through cold turkey earlier on and only coming back to myself....

I missed my bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Unfortunately, I'm partial to beers that do not exist in Ireland (Rickard's Red, Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale) but while there I drink Bulmer's, despite my boyfriend's embarassment. Apparently it's something of a knacker drink, but I don't know any better now do I?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Walter_Sobcek

Ah! a Canuck in our midst.
    I actually work for Labatt at the moment.
    If you like Rickards you'll love Alexander Keiths Red which is being test marketed in Halifax at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

It varies from night to night with me, I work in a pub and one heineken tap tastes amazing and other ones taste like crap. Erdinger is the best though a bit too expensive for a college boy like me at €4.60 a pint. The glasses are slick though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Ah! a Canuck in our midst.
    I actually work for Labatt at the moment.
    If you like Rickards you'll love Alexander Keiths Red which is being test marketed in Halifax at the moment.

Labatt eh? Can't say I really like Blue... tastes like alcoholic American beer to me. (That's never a good thing)

Interesting about Keith's Red.... though between Boreale Blonde and Boreale Rousse I prefer the Blonde, so we'll see. Boreale is also a very tasty beer, not quite so readily available as the other two though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Since my first post on this thread two months ago on 26th August, where I nominated stella out of the can (for pure pikey pleasure), I've tried many, many of the beers on this thread.

Now my visits to the off licence involve buying a bundle of bottles - the weirder the better - and having a veritable taste fest instead of a loutish beer bloat of an evening. I have discovered ale, and am sampling my way through the varieties. (Badger's Golden Glory. O...M...F...G... it's like a religious experience.) The wheat beers are interesting - but I find Leffe Blonde too cloying.

I've always been a huge fan of Fullers Honeydew organic ale, but now I buy as many different bottles as I can carry and heartily enjoy myself.

This thread rocks. /me votes all the stars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

but I find Leffe Blonde too cloying.

I find that to be the case with most Belgian beers, I am not a big fan at all.
    Ales are truly great, if you get to the UK make sure you go to a CAMRA pub with a chalkboard announcing what kegs are on, you will enjoy the beers.

I live in the UK. Even this weekend I'm going to a beer festival at a local club... mmmmmmmm, ale....

A mate of mine at this club, incidentally, is teaching me about ales, and how to tap the kegs, how to store them, how they're made, what goes in, all this good stuff. It's pretty excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I live in the UK. Even this weekend I'm going to a beer festival at a local club... mmmmmmmm, ale....

A mate of mine at this club, incidentally, is teaching me about ales, and how to tap the kegs, how to store them, how they're made, what goes in, all this good stuff. It's pretty excellent.

ooops right that'd be Londinium then :o

A beer festival in the UK would be nice. If you can get your hands on a good pint of Speckled from a cask it is hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭o Fiac

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 floor_pie

Bavaria(the light blue one) is my favourite out of a can, but don't drink beer in the pub only Guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 FoxyChild

I don't normally drink beer depending on who I'm out with. But if I do have some, I normally go for a pint bottle of Bulmers and a glass with ice. Nice!

...Bulmers isn't beer...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jank wrote:
    Erdinger Weissbier Crystal Clear(The one with the Silver label) is by far the best out there IMO

The other Erdingers are nice too.

I have to second this. I'd also extrapolate and say that I much prefer wheat beers to the run of the mill barley beers we are served here.

There are a load of interesting Belgian fruit beers- I try to try a different one each time I'm in Brussels- there are hundreds, don't think I'll run out in a hurry...... :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

its gotta be Guinness, that new one brew 39 is a bit cack tho....

if its cans, Dutch gold, ( serriously). i just like that taste of it....

alto, new guinness draught is quite nice also

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Maisel's Weiss, for the very best!

Moncshof Keller Bier, best ale.....

Krombacher or Kitzmann for Pils....

It should be made law to sell good beer like this AND NOT rip us off.
    Considering this beer is around 60c a bottle in a German Off Licence and about €2.60 in a German pub.

Unfortunately I do not aspire to anything Diageo or Interbrew throw at us.
    The selection in Irish pubs is absolutely dire anyhow!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

For me it's tiger, bavaria, bud....:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Miller and I don't mind Erdinger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Carlsberg or Harp.... its hard to find a good pint of the latter though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

At the moment, it's got to be Spaten in bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yeah the Spaten Oktoberfestbier is good.
    Haven;t seen the Erdinger Christmas brew yet though - anyone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Smithwicks and Heineken.....don't mind Tuborg from time to time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

take home beer: Bergadler Pils from Lidl - best value in Ireland best lager in Ireland, better than any of the ****e from the multi-national fizz makers

In the pub: Nice pint of Marstons Pedigree. Pity can't get it here.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Beer: Porter House Red

Lager: Not my drink, but probably miller.

Stout: Either Porter House Oyster Stout or Young Double Chocolate Stout.

Weat Beer: Eirdinger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kobayashi

Carlton Cold, a great Aussie beer although I've not seen it over here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Guiness - but only from a decent pub, the canned/bottled stuff is not the same but still better than most of the beers you can get. If I have to drink the bottled stuff then Erdiger.

Advertisement