Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SG:1 - 9x07 - Ex-Deus Machina [SPOILERS]

• 26-08-2005 9:13pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not letting any cheeky upstart usurp my right to poll this week :D What did you all think of SG:1 - 9x07 - Ex-Deus Machina (once ya've seen it)?

What did you think of Stargate:SG-1 - 9x06 - Ex-Deus Machina? 16 votes

Like the supernova in 'Exodus' - blazingly hot!
    0%
    Damn warm feeling in me, like crossing an Abyodnian desert
    25%
    suttyKevokteck-x5jor el 4 votes
    Average warmth to this - just like Generic Forest Planet #43
    25%
    mr_angryOmegaRedNukemDe Deraco 4 votes
    Pretty damn cool - as if someone's been using the Touchstone device
    31%
    VenomdaveirlPepe LeFritsWintersstag39 5 votes
    Antartica without any of the fun of having an Ancient outpost
    18%
    ixoymadrabis_that_so 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I have to say I liked it alot
    it was great to see Baal back again.. loveable as ever. Also really odd to hear his real voice in most of it

I've gotta ask though, how much can an Asgard transporter, transport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That was a crackin' great episode. Nice to see, not only Baal, but many Baals! I wonder will we see Kinsey again, he should be still knocking around somewhere too.

Interesting development with the Jaffa and Gareck, he's well and truely the boss now. Tealc didn't look to happy with him, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Good episode overall tho I felt it did suffer from a seen it all before element. Iv never really liked the Trust storyline as it just seems to drag on far to long for my tastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

I can't believe the good rating this got, normally I've got a similar stance as the more regular posters ( OK I hardly ever post, but I do read them :)) so I normally have nothing extra to really add. But this Ep sucked beyong belief, I've seen every ep and I think atlantis stole all the good writers the week this was concieved and SG1 got the Atlantis idiot who dreamt up the "lets pretend they destroyed us and the city bullcrap,"
    A couple of points:
    City block vanishes! This is less of a coverup than assassinating a public figure! ( does 1 press conference make you a public figure?)

They're hiding behind the moon! Wow! Really!! what tacticians... give me a break!

America doesn't get too upset with foreign troops launching attacks in their country? Staff weapons are allowed I sopose, good thing they weren't carrying nail scissors

The building a bomb!! What!! the thing is soaked in naquada and the ship cant detect it! Huh!

Cloning, did they develop the technology in the 6 months he's on earth, and did he live on Australia planet or maybe bondi beach planet mate! before then.

The whole muliplicity ending really grated, we dont need to see half a dozen to know he cloned himself, early in the ep they referenced the fact he was seen in a nother star system, we're not dumb, we can remember stuff longer
    than 15 min

I know I'm starting top rant but I look forward to this show and when they do lazy crap like this I'm very disapointed. At least Atlantis had a Frankensteins Monster Episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I can't believe the good rating this got, normally I've got a similar stance as the more regular posters ( OK I hardly ever post, but I do read them :)) so I normally have nothing extra to really add. But this Ep sucked beyong belief, I've seen every ep and I think atlantis stole all the good writers the week this was concieved and SG1 got the Atlantis idiot who dreamt up the "lets pretend they destroyed us and the city bullcrap,"
    A couple of points:
    City block vanishes! This is less of a coverup than assassinating a public figure! ( does 1 press conference make you a public figure?)

They're hiding behind the moon! Wow! Really!! what tacticians... give me a break!

America doesn't get too upset with foreign troops launching attacks in their country? Staff weapons are allowed I sopose, good thing they weren't carrying nail scissors

The building a bomb!! What!! the thing is soaked in naquada and the ship cant detect it! Huh!

Cloning, did they develop the technology in the 6 months he's on earth, and did he live on Australia planet or maybe bondi beach planet mate! before then.

The whole muliplicity ending really grated, we dont need to see half a dozen to know he cloned himself, early in the ep they referenced the fact he was seen in a nother star system, we're not dumb, we can remember stuff longer
    than 15 min

I know I'm starting top rant but I look forward to this show and when they do lazy crap like this I'm very disapointed. At least Atlantis had a Frankensteins Monster Episode

Pretty much sums up my views, I will add that the episode also shows that the whole Ori storyline is likely to be a cul-de-sac. There is only so much you can do with mirthless terminators. At least with Baal and his ilk there was always a touch of tongue in cheek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

pretty piss poor ep this week, especially comparred to last weeks

sooo many plot holes in this episode but irishshogun seems to have the bulk of them so ill only add the most glaring one i can think of

why didnt they just beam baal onto prometheous?(spelling)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It was an ok for me. Like the previous two posters, there were too many dumb moments - I will not forgive a vanishing city scraper or, indeed, the other points that irishshogun illustrated. It's too dumb, especially in an episode that otherwise seemed to be "heavy" with the Trust and Jaffa storylines, both of which are generally among the most boring continuing arcs in the SG-1 universe.

On the positives, I quite like Baal's character and felt Mitchell was only slightly crap. Plus was the Stark corporation another Farscape reference?

All in all though, SG-1 at a prety dumb level which, counterpointed with the deadly seriousness of the Ori, showed itself up a bit too much. Levity is grand in a "Window of Opportunity"-manner but not in a "you're an idiot viewer" sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Average warmth to this - just like Generic Forest Planet #43
    Thought it was a good Ep - one thing that kept running through my head though is why doesnt Teal'c challenge Karik outright?
    He would kick his ass -
    Baul "buddy,pal welcome back" like the character,never a dull moment.

Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I dunno, I quite liked it in a distracting kinda way...

Wonder if we'll see a fourbaaling next week ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

A whole building disappears and nobody sees it happen. Foreign troops launching missions in the US and not so much as an angry letter to Gareck. Those are the only points that irritated me about this ep.

If Baal was planning the bomb for months beforehand he could have found a way to shield it from orbital detection.

We already know an earth corporation managed to clone an Azgard, and that the trust had access to that corp, so it's not farfetched that Baal could do it.

I think the interesting question is whether Baal has really cloned himself, or just the host. Clone a few identical hosts, stick some snakes in their heads and shazam, a collection of doppelgangers to protect him. Of course go'uld arn't known for the whole self-sacrifice angle, but we've seen the production of "dumbed-down" symbiotes with the super soldiers - another pie Baal had his finger in. Of course that would mean he has access to a queen, and that could mean a much larger infiltration of earth than suggested.

Overall it wasn't a great ep, but it does raise some interesting possibilities.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

They evacuated within a 5? city block radius around the building. Who exactly is going to be there to see it?

As for the cloning, it's not much of an ask for an advanced being to come up with.

Loads of other stupid things though. I didn't enjoy the episode but not because of inconsistencies, Stargate has always been a pretty ridiculous show which requires suspension of belief. What irritated me was Gerak, the guy is a first rate tool. Not only is his character incredibly annoying, but the actor plays him in a "Ben Sisko minus brain plus steroids" manner. The sooner he's killed off the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭irishshogun

kaids wrote:
    The sooner he's killed off the better.

They've got something lined up for him in a couple of episodes...looks interestin!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Where are ye watching these new episodes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

sutty wrote:
    I have to say I liked it alot
    it was great to see Baal back again.. loveable as ever. Also really odd to hear his real voice in most of it

I've gotta ask though, how much can an Asgard transporter, transport?

Didn't thor beem up 3 Gou'ald Pyrmiads when they attacked the Viking planet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Where are ye watching these new episodes?
    Interweb :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

thought as much. Not a huge fan of downloading myself. Any idea when season 9 will appear on sky one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

thought as much. Not a huge fan of downloading myself. Any idea when season 9 will appear on sky one?
    I'd imagine when whatever other sci-fi show they're running is finished it's own series.

Not sure what other sci-fi shows are on atm but they usually finish one series and start a fairly similar one on sky (used to do this with Stargate and Andromeda on either Monday or Wednesday nights iirc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

As entertaining as the episode was, I must say it was dissapointing.

I thought it would be great to see Ba'al again....but now I feel that they have ruined him.
    Garek is a wankr but I must say his character is good....the story of how he's driving a wedge between earth and the jaffa is a good one in my opinion.

Most of the flaws pointed out here are easily explained but I'm just dissapointed that they ruined Ba'al.

Advertisement