Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

2 Disks and versions of Windows; Can I safely remove 1 of Windows?

• 26-08-2005 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Up to last year I was running Windows 95 on my computer. I got some work done on it then and extended various things. I got a second hard disk put in which is now my C drive and my old C is now designated as my E drive. I still have various software on the E drive that I still use, and have installed some things on it since getting in the new C drive. I have Windows 2000 running on the computer now which has its files on the C drive. I still have the Windows folders and subfolders for 95 on the E drive, intact. I want to free up space. Is it safe to completely remove all of the Windows 95 folder(s) on the E drive, or what of the subfolders or anything else can I definitely remove?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

are you still using windows 95, i.e. Dual-boot, ?

where is the software on the E: drive running from, which folders?

if the software does not access the windows folder, and you are not booting to windows 95 anymore then you could probably safely delete the windows folder to save space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Its not dual boot. I boot to 2000. The WINNT folder for 2000 is on the C drive and the Windows folder for 95 is on the E Drive. I still have some software on the E Drive that would have been installed there when it was the C drive and I was running 95. I am concerned about removing the Windows 95 folder in case it has some impact on some of them. Some software has be re-installed since I got the new hard disk, like Microsoft Office, so that should be OK. Can even some of the subfolders in it be removed safely? A lot of them are empty. I presume I can get rid of any corresponding files or folders in the Windows folder(s) that are in the WINNT folder(s). I did clear out some stuff previously without problems, but its the more technical ones like the System folders that I am wary of touching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭odie

If you no longer intend on booting using the E: drive and you are completely finished with Win95, then deleting the windows folder on the E: will be quite safe.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

odie wrote:
    If you no longer intend on booting using the E: drive and you are completely finished with Win95, then deleting the windows folder on the E: will be quite safe.
    best to rename the folder first reboot and make sure everything works before you pull the plug. Chances are it's safe to delete, but if it's not then it's much easier to rename it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

OK, thanks for the advice. I had been thinking along those lines, but a few other opinions are always welcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement