Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Co-Op Pay

• 26-08-2005 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

I know it varies from job to job but I was wondering how good (or bad) the pay is on Co-op. Im doing an engineering degree

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Was doin mine (mech eng) last year and was getting bout 350 a week - which was ok.
    Elli Lili in Cork payed their coop student huge cash. As far as i know they actually dnt have to pay you at all!!!!!!!

nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

No you definatly have to get paid. I remember reading it in something given to me by UL. It said that you will get at least enough to cover all your costs of living I was just wondering how much above that people have gotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

cooperguy wrote:
    No you definatly have to get paid. I remember reading it in something given to me by UL. It said that you will get at least enough to cover all your costs of living I was just wondering how much above that people have gotten
    Apologies. Your right just looked.

Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

A mate of mine in IT got 15600 a year 2 years ago (whatever that is a month)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

At intel atm, we're on around 17000 a year, but we get bonuses and stuff aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

around €450 p/w :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

€1,222 a month (Comp sys, L10N Engineer, Dublin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

around €1000 a month with a certain QA company in the West. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

€1300 p/m after tax. Cant complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

350 per week before tax. Tax is only 9. So per month, about 1364

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

Bout 1400 a month which does the job! ....just about :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Wages tend to be higher in the UK (I've heard to £500 per week) and the states. Ireland tends to be quite good, in or around €1000-€1500 per month, but other EU countries are not so good. In Germany, co-op is considered a favour to you from the company you work for. One of my friends was only earing €300 per month so he got a grant through UL to help pay for accom and other living expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

I'm in mech eng, currently on coop and getting €360 before deduction of €10 so taking home €350 (you see us engineers are great at maths). I've heard Eli Lilly is the best. The European ones can be stingy, as someone else said its more of a favour to the company than anything else. €550 per week for a friend in Germany, I think its something similar for someone I know in France. But you can get a grand - The Leonardo Grant - that supplements your income if you're in Europe.

To be honest it doesn't really matter what we say because the system basically gives you no choice whatsoever in where you go anyway. I was lucky that my first interview was for a place I wanted to work in (where I am now) but you have to accept your first offer so that can be nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

My employers actually apologised for my wages when I started, they said the college capped them, so as not to tempt the students to stay working and ditch their degree...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Gotten much better since I was on co-op - I used to earn £5.25 an hour!!
    That was back in 2000!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

The European ones can be stingy

Yep. I'm an Aero Eng working in Hamburg and we get 550 a month, plus EU Leonardo di Vinci grant. The cost of living (drinking) is cheaper over here so I haven't felt too poor yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hey ScabbyLeg! Ill be over to visit you next month.

A girl i lived with a few years ago, who did business, had coop in dublin, and she was getting something like €260 a week, and for dublin, thats next to nothing. Herself and 4 others shared a 2-bedroom flat because ats all they could afford.

Advertisement