Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Screw in tyre: where to go?

Options
  • 26-08-2005 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I just discovered a screw in the tread of a brand-new tyre on my motor. Doesn't seem to be leaking air and I'd rather not have to replace the tyre, which is hard to get here.

Can anyone recommend a place in Dublin that'll do a good job on it tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Advance Tyres rather than Kwik Fit. Check the Golden Pages for locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

it should be free. i got it in my tyre last week and got a free punture repair from a place in shankill in dublin. the was really sound and he does it free for everyone.good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

If the tyre aint leakin then you don't have to go anywhere cos it has not penetrated the wall of the tyre. Get a pliers (or a screwdriver! (not the vodka type)) and take it out. Voila!, problem solved. Driving on it will only compound the problem. If the tyre goes down then quikfit or your local garage should do it for less than €20.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Priceless advice: Drive it to the local tyre place before removing the screw. It may well have penetrated the carcass but the screw may be sealing it for now.

Don't ask me how I know (and motorbikes don't have spare wheels :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

drdre it should be free. i got it in my tyre last week and got a free punture repair from a place in shankill in dublin. the was really sound and he does it free for everyone.good luck

That guy deserves a mention either here or in the bargains section. I've always had to pay €5 - €7 to have tyres plugged ater picking up a screw\nail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Went to Advance Tyres today. The tyre is definitely banjaxed and can't be patched because of where the screw is. The screw is holding the air in.

Ordered a new one from eiretyres as nobody around here seems to stock these tyres (Toyo Proxes T1-Rs). Hope it doesn't take a week the way it did last time.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

That on your MR2? How much are the tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Squirrel wrote:
    That on your MR2? How much are the tyres?

Depends on the size of course but a full set (2 different sizes on the MR2) were about 290 yoyos.

Advertisement