Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PETA European Director - Near FM 11am Tomorrow

• 26-08-2005 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Just thought I'd let you all know that the European Director of Promotions is appearing for a 20 minute interview on NEAR FM tomorrow morning at 11am... Hopefully one or two of you can tune in and give me some feedback, let me know if you think I handled the interview well etc (this was the first interview I ever recorded.). We'll be discussing the interview and the topic of vegetarianism live in-studio too, so all your comments would be appreciated - the text number is 087 6944500 if you wanna make a comment.

NEAR FM is available at 101.6 on the FM band or streamed live from http://www.nearfm.ie.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i wont be able to hear it,you should have it recorded and post up a link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

i wont be able to hear it,you should have it recorded and post up a link.

Not a bad idea actually *thinks* hm, I wonder how I could do that... I'll see if I can get something up by tomorrow night! :) (I'll probably just put the interview up - there's no point in you listening to the other forty minutes worth of stuff :P)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ya that would be good :)
    look forward to hearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Get a copy of it to me and I'll put it up on the NEAR fm 101.6 Podcast.

Oh i just thought about this, you ever record it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

PETA are psychos

Some things they do are just plain ridiculous, the southpark episode sums it up nicely ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

PETA are psychos
    Wrong. But you're probably just trying to stir trouble.
    Some things they do are just plain ridiculous
    Correct, from your point of view and mine. They do those things because they feel that they will be successful in gaining publicity and so further their cause. Some actions succeed in that and some don't. I think that PETA-style tactics are best used against big companies and famous people who are keen to disassociate themselves from any form of negative publicity. I think for example their efforts would be very well used against the stupid celebs that have been bringing fur back into acceptability in the past few years. Those people's careers are built on shallow, fickle trends and could easily be damaged by a silly but attention grabbing campaign. Of course, PETA do campaign against those people. I just think they should concentrate on those types of campaigns and "step it up" rather than expending their energies on every issue going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh i just thought about this, you ever record it?
    Noel never got a copy to me and I completely forgot about it.

It should be still be on the digital log, so I can go and have a look and pull it down next week if the interest is there.

direbadger wrote:
    Correct, from your point of view and mine. They do those things because they feel that they will be successful in gaining publicity and so further their cause. Some actions succeed in that and some don't. I think that PETA-style tactics are best used against big companies and famous people who are keen to disassociate themselves from any form of negative publicity. I think for example their efforts would be very well used against the stupid celebs that have been bringing fur back into acceptability in the past few years. Those people's careers are built on shallow, fickle trends and could easily be damaged by a silly but attention grabbing campaign. Of course, PETA do campaign against those people. I just think they should concentrate on those types of campaigns and "step it up" rather than expending their energies on every issue going.
    Indeed they should target what is right, not children etc. Telling a child their parents are murders and shouting at them is not the way to go. Taking advantage of how children love their pets. At least a lot of PETA members are excellent people. Too bad not all.

Thanks monkeyfudge, if you get down I would love to hear it anyway.

• Advertisement

Indeed they should target what is right, not children etc. Telling a child their parents are murders and shouting at them is not the way to go. Taking advantage of how children love their pets
    I don't know what you're referring to here. Was it a specific PETA campaign or some incident you heard about? Links please? :confused:

I hope that's a joke. What an arsehole either way. I find it endlessly amusing how defensive meat eaters come across when they try to insist that they have nothing to feel guilty about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

i really hope thats a joke too otherwise ppl are really f*cked up

No joke, deadly serious. Maddox says what many omnivores really think of vegetarians*, but don't feel comfortable saying out loud. Here's more of his work http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sponsor and the accompanying image made by maddox himself

bigpot6.jpg

* This does not include me. I love animals and think a vegetarian diet can be very healthy. I just don't think that vegetarians/vegans and especially PETA members are quite aware of the absolute contempt a lot of people hold them in

I just don't think that vegetarians/vegans and especially PETA members are quite aware of the absolute contempt a lot of people hold them in
    It's not hard to know that some people feel like that. I've met people who've said it straight to my face. I met someone once and the first words to me out of his mouth were "I hate vegans". He was an unpleassant, racist moron though so I'd imagine he says similarly rude things to everyone he meets.

But what I find most interesting (and sometimes amusing) about the attitudes on that website is that the levelling of those amounts of vitriol at veggies/vegans/activists always comes across as defensiveness. If that guy is truly comfortable with his meat eating why does he make such a massive issue out of it? I feel like I'm doing what's right with my diet but I don't go on about it. Why can't he do the same if indeed he believes he's doing the right thing? Most paople I know take a long time to notice I'm vegan. I'm comfortable enough with my choice not to blah on about it to everyone within earshot. Of course, if anyone asks me I'll tell them the reasons, but not from the point of view of I'm-so-great-and-you're-so-wrong.

Personally never tell anybody I know. People find out of course, the ones I live with or my close friends.Oh and debates etc. Nobody at all knew until this year apart from my family. Mostly because I do know people whom I would find it quite easy to guilt trip into becoming vegetarian and that is wrong. I want people to discover things for themselves and not be brain washed.
    Hmm, The attitude that, 'you kill things too so it's ok' hmm. Intelligence...?
    'If you are in the wrong and are a hypocrite it's perfectly ok for me to do these things' ya good one...If you steal then I can steal too. You determine what is right!
    Anyway, try to live life as vegetarian as you can and you are a good person in my books. You can't become truely vegetarian or vegan without being excluded from society and then you can't get your views across well at all. I think I prefer that Einstein, gandhi, shaw etcetera remained in the limelight and didn't be excluded from what they hate, don't you?
    Without doubt there is no change so I go about making person doubt their held to be fact positions. A person can be smart, people cannot.
    To change what is accepted by people is the hardest thing anybody can do(too right machiavelli) so I do not expect much.
    It's because people do not think about these things.
    When people look at their make up do they see what was done for it to come to be ?
    http://www.mangatoanime.com/members/jaken/animaltesting2.jpg
    (mmm grapic so nobody click it :d)
    Of course they do not...
    It sickens most people to think what is done and what happens but why think about it, it's not on our front door???
    after shave and maskara? it's worth that is it?
    yet i see the same people get mad when owners hit their pets with sticks? Or starving the poor pet?

direbadger wrote:
    I don't know what you're referring to here. Was it a specific PETA campaign or some incident you heard about? Links please?
    Things like peta's comics are what get to me about those assholes.

http://www.fishinghurts.com/
    On the right.
    Btw fish are smarter than you think :)
    Guess what folks, goldfish don't have a 3 second memory like what you have heard!

Advertisement