Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your favorite RPG game?

Options
  • 27-08-2005 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

my favorite RPG would have to be Secret of Mana, i just had way to much fun playing it. I also loved that there was no Battle screen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Don't laugh... Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. Loved them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

FF VII. Gan aon doubt ar bith.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Don't laugh... Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. Loved them. :)

Now why would anyone laugh at that ? Pokemon is actually quite good.. i , like alot of others think it's a v good thing :) .

As my tastes go.. it would have to veer toward Final Fantasy VII also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For me it has to be Panzer Dragoon Saga. The story is brilliant. Characters are excellent especially Azel. You really grow to know them through the course of the game. Then there is the excellent twist at the end and a very bleak and open ending (which PD Orta rounds up rather nicely). The battle system is fantastic and unlike anything in any other game. It's very cinematic requiring you to fly around your enemies. The captains barking orders is a nice touch. The game also has an excellent soundtrack, one of the best ever written for a game. There is a lot of variety in tracks with 2 battle themes for each dungeon area and a unique boss tune for each boss.The tracks had to be composed using instrument sounds invented for the game and a tribal beat, very effective. Bad points: It's very easy and a little on the short side.

Next would be Suikoden 2. Battle system is a little basic. However the characters, especially the returning characters are excellent. The main bad guy, Luca Blight, is the best bad guy ever created for a videogame. The best thing about the game is the story which is an absolute epic filled with tragedy as the world of three childhood friends is torn apart by war. It's tough keeping a dry eye during some of the later scenes in the game. Bad points: apart from about 3 excellent tracks the rest of the soundtrack is ruined by extremely low quality music.

3. Final Fantasy VII. There will be enough said about it during this thread. Needless to say a flawed masterpiece and the flaws just make it more interesting. Fantastic characters and an great story (made a little bit obscure by a terrible translation). fun battle system and off course (pun intended) the twist in the middle. And of course there is the stunning soundtrack.

4. Final Fantasy X. Probably the best battle system of any game. Great characters although they can be annoying sometimes. Story is fantastic with a killer ending. It may a bit too linear but every J-RPG is.

5. Grandia: Story is a little weak but the excellent characters more than make up. You can't help but fall for the characters after only a few hours play. Also one of the best battle systems ever that is buckets of fun.

6. Final Fantasy VI: Great story and characters (also more characters than any of the other FF games). Soundtrack is one of the best composed for a game. Kefka is a fantastic bad guy and far better than Sephiroth. Battle system is a little dull but is more than functional.

7. Final Fantasy Tactics: Once you come to terms with the extreme difficulty it is an immensely satisfying game to play. Great story and characters especially Ovelia (seems to be a weak female character which isn't common in FF games but she shows her true colours at the end). Brilliant Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack.

8. Xenogears: Quite posssibly the best and most intelligent storyline for a videogame. Battle system is brilliant, switching between on foot and huge mech which both control differently. Characters are mainly great but over half the cast are token characters that have 15 minutes of fame. Great soundtrack. There are problems once you reach disc 2. It's obvious that the team ran out of time and money when the second disc is mainly taken up by a character sitting on a chair talking about what happened.

9. Vagrant Story: I'm not that fond of the battle system but the game is still fun to play. What makes the game great is the story and the atmosphere which is helped along by probably Hitashi Sakimotos best soundtrack to date.

10. Chrono Trigger: A very intelligent rpg with a decent storyline and characters and a nice battle system. One of the best the 16-bit generation has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'd have to choose Chrono Trigger as my favourite as it's one of my favourite games of all time...

I loved the battle system and I felt the storyline stuck the perfect balance of being compelling and dramatic while not taking itself to seriously.

Other ones that I've loved over there years are:

Grandia 2 on the Dreamcast: I haven't played the first one... but I really enjoyed this.. A really good battle system that forced you to think alot about your strategy. Wonderful storyline too... with plenty of twists.

Skies of Aracdia: I actually missed out on this one on the DC, so I got the Gamecube version. A really good game with plently of exploring to do and some of the ship to ship sky battles were great fun.

Most recently I enjoyed Star Ocean: Till The End of Time on the PS2. The storyline really keeps you on your toes as it is constantly zipping off in different directions. Although one big problem I found with it is the fact that you get lots of new characters who join your party at a very late stage in the game, but they all start out at level 1 when the rest of your characters are around level 35... so you can never really use them even though some of them look pretty interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Final Fantasy VII followed closely by Final Fantasy VIII

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Sugarbear

I'd have to agree with what Laguna said... I don't think anything has beaten FFVII yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Golden sun 2 for me though pokemon emerald pushes it close.

Damn pokemon games are too addictive tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

I prefer pc rpg's to consoles tbh. My favourite would be Planescape: Torment, followed by Neverwinter Nights.

Planescape: Torment because of the story, and Neverwinter Nights because of the hundreds of quality modules with varied storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I'd have to choose Chrono Trigger as my favourite as it's one of my favourite games of all time...

I loved the battle system and I felt the storyline stuck the perfect balance of being compelling and dramatic while not taking itself to seriously.

+1, excellent game.

Also, Final Fantasy 6&7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, such a grasping story one of my favourite games of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Another vote for FFVII. First RPG to really hook me and the memories are purer for that reason. If I'd played any of the others first I think I would be saying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I would have to go with planescape: torment or fallout/fallout2.

Torment has an excellent story, with great settings and the best cast of characters I've seen in a game. It also has some of the best character relationships in games, and you make the relationships happen if you want to, they're not forced on you, similar to baldurs gate.

And fallout is just fantastic, none of this swords and daemons jargon, it's got mutants and big guns. It's really funny, it's got monty python references and it's the only game I've played through 5 times with completely different characters where the character traits made a genuine difference to the way the game was played. Also the intro's to both games need mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

There are loads mentioned here already which I really like, so I'm going to name drop the NipponIchi tacRPG's.

Disgea is a cracker, and the newest sounds even better, the only problem is that they are so good you tend to neglect other areas of your life, like eating, sleeping, girlfriend ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Planescape: Torment, definetely. There are no random battles; voice acting is sparse and good; the characters and setting drip imagination and the plot and its execution deserve more praise than I can give them. That it's one of very few RPGs that encourages any sort of role playing is a boon, too.

And of course, I have a sort of love/hate thing going on with Pokémon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Not a very original choice but I just can't pick anything other than Final Fantasy VII. I've cleared it so many times and every time I still seem to uncover little bits and pieces of the story that I never picked up on before. The story is amazing, the gameplay is great, the minigames are fun, above all it's the characters and the world that really draw you in.

Number 2 would be Suikoden 2. The way characters are brought back from the first game, the complexities of the story, it's a brilliant portrayal of war, where the good guys and bad guys aren't totally black and white(apart from some), and its a story of the difference one man can make by bringing people together, instead of the 'lone warrior' style most heroes take. There's excellent characters and an excellent story, and the castle was always fun to come home to, it gave it another aspect.

After that I'm gonna say something a bit different and say Star Wars: KOTOR. Before I played this game I'd never even seen a Star Wars film by the way, I don't know if that's relevant. What I really liked about it was the fact that you actually felt like you really had total control of the main character. So many choices and branches you could take in conversation, and so many different ways to approach the task at hand. Planescape: Torment was probably the pioneer in this respect, but the reams and reams of text and forgotten realms mythology put me off it completely. KOTOR was a lot more accessable and had characters you could relate to. I'd love to see a Japanese style RPG where you get these sort of choices some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Planescape: Torment.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Dues Ex gets my thumbs up. In fact fav game of all time.

Enjoyed the knights of the old republic games shame about the bugs in it though. Made certain levels unplayable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Retr0gamer wrote:
    6. Final Fantasy VI: Great story and characters (also more characters than any of the other FF games). Soundtrack is one of the best composed for a game. Kefka is a fantastic bad guy and far better than Sephiroth. Battle system is a little dull but is more than functional.

Thank you! Finally someone who agrees with me.

FFVI was my fav RPG, closely followed by Chrono Trigger and FFVII.
    I quite liked Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3 too.
    Lately I have been enjoying Tales of Symphonia, but I've yet to finish it. I'll see how it compares to Tales of Phantasia, which I liked, but not enough to put it in my top RPGs ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Definitely Secret of Mana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

A tough question... Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger and Pokémon are there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Final Fantasy 7, Deus Ex probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Final Fantasy IX. Always seems to have been overlooked, but it was so much fun to play through, and it looked so gorgeous :) Plus, Amarant & Freya were bad-ass!! :D

Also, Pokemon. I hate all those whiners saying Pokemon suX, they must have been playing wrong (as in not at all); it's battle system has got more depth & understand-ability than any series I've ever played.
    You can intuitively understand what monster will be affected by which elementary attack :)
    And it never really stops... I had 180hrs+ on Crystal...

Secret of Mana: So much fun.
    SOOOOOOOO much fun!!
    I hate the English translation (have the German, yay!), but try this @FuSoYa's Niceh (note: you MUST own a game to have the ROM! or teh fuzz will com2ur house&pwn u!!!1)

Oh, and I love Grandia 2. Such a fantastic turn-based, strategic system!

Advertisement