Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Veggie "veggie food"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The real kick in the teeth is Soya. Most of it contains GMO Soya ,and I reckon many vegetarians would rather something organic given the choice.

And I've seen things labelled as "suitable for Vegetarians" even though they contains egg.
    Surely thats why they labelled it suitable for vegetarians and not vegans?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Degsy wrote:
    Because its BORING thats why.Nobody gives a damn about petty,self-righteous idealism.
    oh yes it is Boring,that is truely a great point.It is boring that somebody doesn't want to eat some foods yet you keep reading a thread about it.nobody wants to hear about it?you keep coming back reading it no?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Degsy, if you've nothing to contribute, go away. I'll ban you the next time you bother with your semi-trolling crap.

Edit: Banned actually. WWM warned you yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

exceedingly humourous, however, please stop trolling the vegetarian forum, or i will ban you.
    Every post you have made in here would lead to a similar response if a mod saw it so please say something that contributes or go away.

edit:seamus edited so my post is invalid :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

And I've seen things labelled as "suitable for Vegetarians" even though they contains egg.

Egg is ok once they haven't been fertilised, as in there's no cock hanging around with the chickens. I wish I didn't know about these things!

Anyways, I went/was forced into McDonalds (don't ask!) one day and asked what was the vegetarian option. The girl behind the counter looked really puzzled and said the chicken burger or the fish burger!!!!!!! Seriously!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 DaisyDuke

Heinz ketchup has been veggie for years - it's the only ketchup I've eaten since was in nappies.
    McDonalds use rapeseed oil for frying with. Chips are done separate to everything else. One set of vats for chicken, then usually just one for fish and one for veggie burgers and apple pies.
    The chips are actually bought from McCain's in Ireland, and are basically the same as you buy in the supermarket. No lard there.

Course, it depends on the branch. Some of em are great, others are lazy feckers.
    The veggie burgers there are pretty ick though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

bohsman wrote:
    The veggie burgers are microwaved, unless theyve changed the beanburgers recently but it would be impossible to reheat them after taking them out of the oil, the fryers make a similar but louder beeping than microwaves

was in burger king on O connell street and in Jervis street and they dont seem to do the veggie or bean burger anymore...is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

DaisyDuke wrote:
    McDonalds use rapeseed oil for frying with. Chips are done separate to everything else. One set of vats for chicken, then usually just one for fish and one for veggie burgers and apple pies.

If I have to :rolleyes: , I'd just about trust the larger McDonalds and BK to have veggie chips but would be wary of the smaller ones... as for Supermacs, I don't think they give that much of a toss, which is a shame really considering their raw materials look better (they don't seem to use big dirty blocks of hydrogenated oil in their friers as opposed to the multinationals & the potatoes seem fresher)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

oddly enough the tinned "chilli con carne" has been veggie for ages
    (Batchelors ? kidney beans in sauce)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Yipidee

Egg is ok once they haven't been fertilised, as in there's no cock hanging around with the chickens. I wish I didn't know about these things!

Miss Serena, that's interesting... am a novice with all this but long-interested in the question of what eggs become chickens and what (if any) don't. Can you or anyone else educate me, perhaps provide a link to an authoritative source on the web? (Once went out with a girl of the Jain religion who officially wasn't meant to eat anything made with eggs because, I think, they were life).

Thanks.

• Advertisement

95-99% of eggs that people eat are not fertilised.This means they are just eggs and would not have become chicks.After an egg is one week old you can shine a bright light near it and you can see if there is a chick or just yolk or whatever.Few eggs are fertilized but some would be and as these are not cared for by the mother keeping them warm etc no chick is formed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Yipidee

Thanks for clearing that up TarAldrion. Follow up question: presumably all fertilised eggs are removed from the eggs distributed to the shops? Or not? (If not, then from what you've written does it follow that all someone would have to do to "form" the chick is to keep the egg warm?)

Yipidee wrote:
    Thanks for clearing that up TarAldrion. Follow up question: presumably all fertilised eggs are removed from the eggs distributed to the shops? Or not? (If not, then from what you've written does it follow that all someone would have to do to "form" the chick is to keep the egg warm?)
    AFAIK they shine a blue light on eggs to make sure they have no been fertilised but I believe they cannot always get it right whether it be due to the sheer number they produce or laziness on the checkers part.I think they are becoming more strick because when people find a foetus in their egg it's not very good for business as you can imagine.That happened last year to the girl living next door to me and she ran over in hysterics to get me to remove it.
    As for your latter statement,yes if you kept it in the right conditions(under the correct heating using the specially designed bulbs) it would hatch and I believe I saw a story on the news a good while ago where a woman had done just this and she hd done it a good few times.I think this story led to or should have led to tighted measures in the industry.

Advertisement