Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Thinking of buying a Canon XL2

• 27-08-2005 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm thinking of buying the canon XL2. But at over €4.5k I'm just wondering if it's worth waiting for a High definition prosumer camera. Opinions welcome.
    I've got a XM2 at the moment but it's quiet limited,
    cheers,
    reece

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

reece wrote:
    Hi Folks,
    I'm thinking of buying the canon XL2. But at over €4.5k I'm just wondering if it's worth waiting for a High definition prosumer camera. Opinions welcome.
    I've got a XM2 at the moment but it's quiet limited,
    cheers,
    reece

well, you have to consider that "pro"sumer hi-def is still in its first stages and most of the early hi-def cams have quite a few flaws..
    but the thing is you CAN expect these cameras to drop considerably in price as new models are introduced..
    personally cos im VERY curious & if i had that kinda doolah to spend..
    i'd take a hi-def risk..

but i would certainly be happy with an xl2..
    great camera..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

cheers, think I'll go for the xl2,
    just saving up at the moment - roll on the christmas bonus!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Nobody asked you what you wanted the cam for. What will be the primary purpose of the XL2? If you plan on shooting low budget movies, then sure.. Go for it, it's 25P and 16:9 will be worth it.. However if you are only planning on shooting weddings/documentaries or just want a high quality prosumer cam for personal documentation then you wouldn't have to spend all that much.

The prosumer HD cams that are splurting up are fine but if you plan on shooting low budget movies, they are too "video" looking IMO.

Here's a great review of your options for that price.

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/shoot3/

I personally use the panansonic agdvx100a and it is everything the XL2 is except it doesn't have native 16:9 ability. You also don't have the ability of interchangeable lenses if that's your thing. You can however get an anamorphic adapter for about 600-700 euro and it will still work out cheaper than the XL2.

Let me know what you want it for and I can try help you out further but take a look at that review.. It will give you a better understanding of each cam's positives and negatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I'd like to get into documentary film making. The Xm2 I have at the moment is too limited. I'd like to do the odd wedding video aswell. I may even throw in a Ireland based surf film.

• Advertisement

If you are shooting documentaries, you won't really need the XL2. Go for the XL1S.. It's cheaper and has good picture quality. Low light is alright on it but you make do with what you can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I've an XL1s and the qaulity on it is perfect in both low and bright light I use for everything from live visuals to documentaries to music videos in fairly low light conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

used an xl1s for filming rugby matches, events etc for my school a few years back (when it was new and even more expensive) , smooth workings easy enough to use and a great lense etc. highly recommand it.

(Dfolnep, cheers for that link...its good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GoofySkater

you have to remember that editing with high definition footage requires very powerful computers. Ive heard great things about the dvx100a, but incase you didnt know it shoots 24p.

you have to remember that editing with high definition footage requires very powerful computers. Ive heard great things about the dvx100a, but incase you didnt know it shoots 24p.

The NTSC version shoots at 24P, the PAL version shoots at 25P.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    (Dfolnep, cheers for that link...its good)

Np, that site is a great resource :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Also as another line of thought, check out the sony Z1. Ive been recently filming a series for RTE On it and it is fantastic. Better in every way to the xl2!

Here is a site selling them and they are around 4200 euro over here

http://www.digitalsaver.com/stores.asp?productid=HVRZ1U

also here is a pic and specs, truly a fantastic camera. It also can shoot in DVcam and DV aswell as HD and its roughly same size as the XL2(Maybe a tiny bit smaller even!) The film Wolf Creek was also partially filmed using this camera!

SONY Z1 Stats and Specs

3 CCD professional HDV camcorder.
    1080 lines horizontal resolution.
    The HVR-Z1 records HDV and DVCAM images at 60i, 50i in SD or HD,
    supports both PAL and NTSC.

hvr-z1.jpg
    shown with optional XLR microphone

Supplied accessories

Rechargeable Battery Pack
    AC Adaptor/ Quick Charger
    Remote Commander
    Component Video Cable
    AV Cable
    Hood with a Lens Cap
    Large Eye Cup
    Shoe Adaptor
    Sony HVR-Z1 Manual (English)

Sony HVR-Z1 additional features

Two XLR input
    Black body
    Audio volume controls
    Time Code preset
    Switchable between 50 Hz /60 Hz
    Simultaneous use of LCD display and Viewfinder
    Viewfinder switchable between B&W and colour
    DVCAM tapes

Regional sets

All regional sets (E, U, P, N, J) offer identical technical specifications and features.

Also as another line of thought, check out the sony Z1. Ive been recently filming a series for RTE On it and it is fantastic. Better in every way to the xl2!

Here is a site selling them and they are around 4200 euro over here

http://www.digitalsaver.com/stores.asp?productid=HVRZ1U

also here is a pic and specs, truly a fantastic camera. It also can shoot in DVcam and DV aswell as HD and its roughly same size as the XL2(Maybe a tiny bit smaller even!) The film Wolf Creek was also partially filmed using this camera!

SONY Z1 Stats and Specs

3 CCD professional HDV camcorder.
    1080 lines horizontal resolution.
    The HVR-Z1 records HDV and DVCAM images at 60i, 50i in SD or HD,
    supports both PAL and NTSC.

hvr-z1.jpg
    shown with optional XLR microphone

Supplied accessories

Rechargeable Battery Pack
    AC Adaptor/ Quick Charger
    Remote Commander
    Component Video Cable
    AV Cable
    Hood with a Lens Cap
    Large Eye Cup
    Shoe Adaptor
    Sony HVR-Z1 Manual (English)

Sony HVR-Z1 additional features

Two XLR input
    Black body
    Audio volume controls
    Time Code preset
    Switchable between 50 Hz /60 Hz
    Simultaneous use of LCD display and Viewfinder
    Viewfinder switchable between B&W and colour
    DVCAM tapes

Regional sets

All regional sets (E, U, P, N, J) offer identical technical specifications and features.
    since ive last posted, i got my hands on none of these...
    its VERY nice..
    BUT..as i said previously, the technology is being furthered and the new JVC GL hd camera is mouth-wateringly good..
    and wait maybe 1 or 2 years and theyll be soo much cheaper...
    and panasonic are bringing out a hd soon that looks hamazing..
    the trouble with the sony ones is they still feel like being consumer cameras..
    and as someone said earlier..you'd wana have a butt loada space to edit hd online..
    like a terrabite+ wouldbe nice.
    saying that of course the dv and dvcam still looks great.

The new panny hd is going to be the best on the market IMO. Check dvxuser.com

Advertisement