Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC Vs SK Slavia Praha - Pre match thread.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Superb save. Great play by Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should be 2-2 ....

Good game so far Slavia not that bad going forward but shocking at the back, cork with only 1 up front will take longer to expose that.

kdjac

Cork hanging on by the hairs on their naddy naddy nads.

3 superb saves from Devine and Slavia hit the post, then the bar then post again.

Get to half time at 0-0!!!

kdjac

Two of the most amazing saves you are likely to see this season from Mick Devine. Cork started well but have settled back since then.

Every one of these misses/saves will be crucial come this day two weeks.

Ah feck that.

1-0 Slavia and well worth it , shatting on cork. Great goal direct from a free.

Cork seriously need to add a defensive mid to keep this tie alive before slavia are out of sight

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

1-0 Slavia :mad:

In fairness, they deserve it, they're the better team tonight. I only hope Cork can keep it at this, maybe even nick a flukey goal.

Awesome....

How to reply to being shat on, hit the post the bar and post again, well done cork :D

Great footballing moemnt....

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

How did that stay out :confused:

• Advertisement

2-0, probably just about deserved the second goal, but Cork certainly deserved a goal.

Murphy has been excellent all night, other than Mick Devine he has been Corks MOTM in my opinion. Got forward plenty in the second half, and made many great tackles in defence.

Kearney was disappointing, O'Callaghan was great at times but not very incisive.

Another amazing save at the death, Cork really deserved something from this. If not a draw then definitely a goal. They were denied by the keeper twice (sensational) saves and hit the woodwork three times.

A decent performance but poor result. Lots of work to do, but its not impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I heard roddy collins made a verbal attack on the cork city manager after the match, something like the cork city manager said they could be able to compete with the big boys of europe in 3 years time and collins went to town on it when he heard it. Anyone else seriously sick of having to look and listen to that muppet on tele?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Slavia deserved to win but City deserved a goal too.

Going with the attacking formation meant that often the front 2 were isolated.

As expected the Czechs were technically good but they werent anything special.

The second goal was very soft one to give away. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

deisedevil wrote:
    I heard roddy collins made a verbal attack on the cork city manager after the match, something like the cork city manager said they could be able to compete with the big boys of europe in 3 years time and collins went to town on it when he heard it. Anyone else seriously sick of having to look and listen to that muppet on tele?
    I turned it off when it came to Roddy and Fenlon, but I listened to all that Rico had to say and it sounds like Collins misunderstood what was being said. He said that since we're new to the professional game, our players are currently not able for the physical kind of game they were faced with against the Prague players.

Getting a knock from a big fella takes a lot out of you, and Rico reckons in a few years time, the Irish players will be bigger, stronger, and fitter, more able to take a heavy knock without it sapping too much energy, and able to keep control of the ball better under stronger physical pressure.

I am sick of having to look at Collins on tele, but at least I don't have to listen to him, since I just I can just mute it when he is talking. Would have been interesting to have Dolan there instead of him

Regarding the game, it is a disappointment - perhaps 3-1 would have been a fairer result, and it would have been much more favourable. As it is, I cannot see Cork City overcoming 2-0 at all... while it is very possible to win 2-0 in Turner's Cross, extra time wouldn't suit our fellas I think, and we have no penalty takers... so I'll just be looking for another half a scalp with a win in 1 leg. The CCFC support looked very good.

Sadly if Rico was there O Halloran would ahve been on at half time to stop Slavia, they were good going forward and reckon they deserved 2 goals but cant see Cork stopping them scoring at home.

Cork played well but the wingers never covered the full backs properly and that beardy guy had a free run at murphy everytime.

Not looking good for Cork in 2nd leg.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im surprised roddy collins's comments having been lashed here, i think what that lad said last night was a disgrace -

he said,regarding irish teams in europe -

" we have gone as far as we can and will go nowhere"
    "since we(bohs) beat kaiserslauten, irish teams in europe, have gone backwards"
    "the players that make eircom league teams, would not make it in the second division in england"
    " the youth structure is all wrong, we have noting coming through and in 5 years time, we will still be in the same boat"

"cork could have been beaten 9-2"

i dont know how fenlon sat there and listened, Shels and indeed Cork, have done this country the world of good over the past 2 or 3 years in europe. as a non cork city fan, i feel that they were unlucky last night not to get a better result. i mean, i know they were outplayed, but its not all about possession, you still have to put the ball in the net, look at last season FA cup final, best team does not always wins. with a little bit of luck, cork could have snatched a 1-1 draw. it took a sublime goal to break them down and really, it was amazing that they didnt equalise after that, 3 shots off the crossbar/post in 2 minutes, goals change games, who knows, the might have sat back with the away goal and conceded 2 or 3, but i reckon they would have got the 1-1 if not better. the defending for the second goal was brutal, it should have been cleared twice before the cross came in. even the last save, was total heartbreak for them, 2-1 would have been a great result to take home. well done cork, heres hoping for better luck in the second leg

im surprised roddy collins's comments having been lashed here, i think what that lad said last night was a disgrace -

he said,regarding irish teams in europe -

"the players that make eircom league teams, would not make it in the second division in england"
    " the youth structure is all wrong, we have noting coming through and in 5 years time, we will still be in the same boat"

"cork could have been beaten 9-2"

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=29485

Have a look there.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Roddy Collins was spot on last night, everything he said was 100% accurate.

Draupnir wrote:
    Roddy Collins was spot on last night, everything he said was 100% accurate.

LOL get back under your bridge....

From his team beating 2 teams with fully paid professionals in the BOhs team , 9 of which were ex Englsih to Corks which has ehhh 2 ex english league players?? Good point Roddy and Draupnir spot on as usual.

Ahh backwards 5 years previous 0 wins, 5 years after 11 wins ...defintie backwards step there...again draupnir and Roddy your accute knowledge is spot on. my my why areny both of you managing Chelsea....

Ah like Kevin Doyle and Daryl murphy... Cork have been **** since he went. Ironically as he knows best players in EL get paid more than most 2nd div players. Again i bow to your wisdom.

That would explin why Pats Cork and Rovers Waterford have gotten nearly half a million in transfer fees this year all for players under 21 .... Again you are correct the youth system is **** everything is ****...lets all go be Chelsea fans so we can comeback to all the pool fans and tell them they are ****....

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

To say we(Eircom League) havent progressed since the Kaiserlautern win for Bohs is not true. Bohs may not have progressed since then, but Shels and Cork City certainly have.

BTW, Roddy can you ever appear on TV and not boast about those wins you had with Bohs. :D

WE went 4-4-2 last night and in hindsight a more defensive approach was needed. Roy O'Donovan as Roddy pointed out gave Horgan little help in defence. Roy is still a young players so that will be something he will have to improve on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

as a non cork city fan, i feel that they were unlucky last night not to get a better result. i mean, i know they were outplayed, but its not all about possession, you still have to put the ball in the net, look at last season FA cup final, best team does not always wins. with a little bit of luck, cork could have snatched a 1-1 draw. it took a sublime goal to break them down and really, it was amazing that they didnt equalise after that, 3 shots off the crossbar/post in 2 minutes, goals change games, who knows, the might have sat back with the away goal and conceded 2 or 3, but i reckon they would have got the 1-1 if not better. the defending for the second goal was brutal, it should have been cleared twice before the cross came in. even the last save, was total heartbreak for them, 2-1 would have been a great result to take home. well done cork, heres hoping for better luck in the second leg

This is a biased view on the game. Yes Cork were unlucky not to score but then again Slavia were unlucky not to score more than the two goals they got. Cork did produce chances but they were outplayed and a 2 goal lead was definitely the fair result. If it wasnt for Devine it could have been allot more. The one positive thing Cork can take from the game is that Slavia's defence is obviously not the best and if Cork get at them from the off and manage to get a first half goal without conceding one it could make for a very interesting game. Cork deserved to lose last night, if you are honest you will admit that but teh tie is far from over and dont count Cork out just yet. With a full house at Turners cross cheering them on they could still do it.

I disagree with everything Roddy Collins said except the point he made about being unable to progress much further without the introduction of better facilities and a better youth system. Now by youth system I mean for the EL clubs to get a better youth system. Their youth teams produce practically no players its all teh schoolboy clubs that produce the players. The EL clubs need to start devising their own youth system to help with the development of young players in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Got home last night. First may I say - What a City Prague is, absolutely stunning, and thats before I mention the women, the beer, the food, and the prices of all the above!!!! Though may I add, Irish Bars suck. A Guinness tap does not give you a divine right to call yourself an Irish bar. If in Prague, avoid there beer fuelled stag party holes, filled with scum from manchester and newcastle picking fights with everyone. In fact, we were in one such the other night, and Rangers Porto was on one of the many TV screens. When Rangers scored, Engliah boy starts shouting "cmon the prods" etc. We responded by shouting "Cmon the Gers", he then started shouting for Porto, and we followed. Fool shut up then!

Aside from that, the game. No doubting we deserved to lose, but I think 3-1 would have been a better reflection on the match. We certainly desereved a goal. Thought O Donovan was quite poor. George was outstanding. The Athmosphere was class, I dunno how well it came across on the telly, but it was electric. It was quite funny at the start, the police presence was huge, and if you sw these guys, they were MONSTERS. By the end of the game, there were 2 of them. They had realised we were no threat whatsoever. At the end of the game they were posing for photos with their city scraves and everyting. Outside the ground, scarf swopping was rampant with the locals, and it was all very nie, certainly none of the crap we had seen the night before at the Sparta Vs Ajax game, where the Ajax fans were animals. Very aggressive individuals altogether.

If we get an early goal in the 2nd leg, we can do it. I honestly dont think that there is that much of a gulf in class. A loud partizan athmosphere at the Cross, and who knows?

This is a section of the City support

Fair play to yiz all Gimmick, the support did look and sound just as good on TV. The Prague fans (the ones that bothered to turn up) didn't look like they were up to much in terms of noise.

Advertisement