Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB - Holy Sweet Mother of Christ!

• 27-08-2005 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Do my eyes deceive me? Am i drunk? Dreaming? No this has actually happened!

If any of your guys here look back at any of my previous posts you'll see i suffer from connection speeds of around 30k up and down.... Yes you read that correctly, slower than Dial-Up and I'm playing for a 2MB line.

Anyway i using my computer today and I'm uploading my latest production files to a radio station in the UK which normally takes well over an hour.
    So i start the upload on my laptop and go downstairs to make a tea, as i leave the transfer rate is crawling along as usual and the estimated time is 90min.
    So downstairs now i click on the kettle on and WHAM, The circuit breaker kicks in and cuts all the power in my house.
    So i unplug the kettle (it must be doggy) and put the electricity back on, about 60 seconds later i hear my Laptop (which is running from its battery) make the Microsoft "DING" sound. So i waddle back upstairs only to find the upload is complete..... But how? It's only been running 5min at the most.

So i send it again and it only takes a min or so to upload the 40MB file which would normally hake AGES! Then i cop it..... The connections faster! So trying not to get my hopes up i run a the Irish ISP Test.

2MB up and Down!! I'm actually getting what I'm paying for!

I've been upgraded, to the 2MB line, and even more shocking its working with any problems. The solicitors letter paid off!

After investigating, i found out that I'd been upgraded FIVE DAYS previous, but you have to shut down the radio for a minimum of 60 seconds then turn it back on for the new speeds and settings to take affect.

So everyone...... Turn off you Radio...... Wait 60sec..... Turn back on and let me know!

PING: http://mercury.walagata.com/w/justindublin/PINGS.JPG

IRISH ISP: http://mercury.walagata.com/w/justindublin/IRISHISP.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

powercycling a modem should be done regularly ! hapend with most BB services ! IBB always "reset" your arial when you have a problem or flash the firmware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yup it basically boils down to powering off and on your box..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Yea a month after my upgrade I wasn't happy with my service so I got them to call out last week and they found that there were too many trees in the way. Seemed like they were much more experienced than the previous guys. Anyways they showed me that my signal strength was dodgey because of this and thats why I was having problems. So he said to me he'd work something out and next thing I know it he shows me download speeds of 290kbps. I was happy although I thought this would decrese after words. Well a week later and I'm still gettin speeds on average between 120kbps-240kbps downloads.

Well done IBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Drapper wrote:
    powercycling a modem should be done regularly ! hapend with most BB services ! IBB always "reset" your arial when you have a problem or flash the firmware!

is that with wireless only? or should ADSL modems be reset too???

and what is it for? for example, you are already upgraded, it's done, why reset it?

CyberGhost wrote:
    is that with wireless only? or should ADSL modems be reset too???

and what is it for? for example, you are already upgraded, it's done, why reset it?

usally to refresh the IP and reboot the signal to the stronger frequency in IBB's case, ADSL i think needs a reboot too!

Certaininly NTL needs a powercycle every few days! if it gets anyway sluggish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You never power cycled your modem when you had connection problems. Baffling.

Giblet wrote:

lmfao again.. your on a role Giblet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Giblet wrote:

never had connection problems(knocks on wood), except when modem froze . Then of course I power cycled, but didn't know that you should power cycle regularly, like maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I've never power cycled my NTL modem and still get me full 1mb connection. So obviously its not essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The_B_Man wrote:
    I've never power cycled my NTL modem and still get me full 1mb connection. So obviously its not essential.

Two totally different technologies so obviously pointless in drawing comparisons..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The_B_Man wrote:

when they upgraded the speeds, the modems had to be power-cycled to change to the higher speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Anytime you've got trouble with electrical items you should power cycle them before calling tech support! (happens alot with modems/digital tv receivers etc....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

plus heat often hampers them aswell, so my linksys router is left in a nice cool area :D

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Last time I was having problems with "IBB", I rebooted the router and everything sorted itself out.

Went two months without needing it though, so I'm reasonably impressed ;)

Advertisement