Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Another question about copyright

• 27-08-2005 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Is there some loop hole where you can use 3 seconds of video or something and the copyright rules don't apply

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Malorkus

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Actually there is an agreement.... Not for you, but TV companies will allow other stations to use 30 Seconds News footage etc free of charge. Obviously the BBC, ITV, SKY, etc etc will all share footage.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Lump wrote:
    Actually there is an agreement.... Not for you, but TV companies will allow other stations to use 30 Seconds News footage etc free of charge. Obviously the BBC, ITV, SKY, etc etc will all share footage.

John

Sorry lump but thats profoundly useless advise in this situation. Tv stations have a mutualy benefitial agreement to share footage. As in a shared agreement to mutually share news footage for everyone's footage. Trying to use another example of information sharing that is utterly irrelevant to this situation, just to show off your knowledge is a tad juvenile.

I know it's useless... Unless the Original Poster Works for a production company/TV station/Non Profit Organisation. Can blag it, by ringing and asking nicely to use 3 seconds. My information may have been useless, to you, but you could have sent me a PM instead of waffling on here.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Lump wrote:
    I know it's useless... Unless the Original Poster Works for a production company/TV station/Non Profit Organisation. Can blag it, by ringing and asking nicely to use 3 seconds. My information may have been useless, to you, but you could have sent me a PM instead of waffling on here.

John

Why on earth would i pm it.

1) I think with a name like MP3guy, and the site's he's got on his sig, clearly suggest he's not working for a tv station, furthermore I sincerely doubt anyone working in a tv station/production complany/NGO is going to get their info on copyright clearance from a BB.

2) Blag it? Your org post,
    Lump wrote:
    Clearly states that you know damn well the information you're imparting isn't relevant to the OP and you know it.

Oh and obviously BBC ITV and SKY don't share footage. They're rival news companies they don't share. If one side (best example footage of arrested failed bombers, was exclusive to the Daily Mail and Channel 4, and grudgingly the BBC and sky used it with a "courtsey" strap) They share, only when they have to and don't like it.

• Advertisement

Look, I'm not going to get into an argument with you. I've copied BBC News footage 30 Second clips to Digi-Beta. When I asked, in a slightly suprised way how much it'd cost which ever news station it was.... I was informed it'd cost nothing.... Obviously this isn't on breaking stories. Also, I have sigs turned off. And yes, blag it.... We managed to get footage out of ITV I think for free. (Ie, me and College friends) Hence the non-profit/college bit.

Anyway, the question has been answered. No you can't.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

mp3guy wrote:
    Is there some loop hole where you can use 3 seconds of video or something and the copyright rules don't apply

Use it for what?

If your planning on making a hollywood movie, then certainly no. Youll have to pay through the nose, ear and mouth because the potential audience and profit is enourmous.

If your planning on using 3 seconds of video to splice into your wedding home video, then go ahead. Its not like your ever going to charge for it or show it publicly.

Theres a fair deal of grey area after that. For example, youd be fine including it in a student film, but you couldnt then go on to enter that film into a festival or screen it publicly unless you do as lump says and just beg the copyright holder to allow you to do so. Again, the smaller the application, the more likely youll get a positve response.

Advertisement