Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Damn Rocks can go to hell

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

ahh this happened to me before in malahide! i drive the same car just weird...

ah right ;) , did you go looking for compensation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

ando wrote:

I've never heard of that, I dont think I've even seen one on the cars I've worked on in the past??

Not seen them on anything I have examined either, even Toyotas. Both my 80 vintage Toys have these shields.

However, as is often the case, muppets in fast oil change places remove them and never put them back..... got to give up something when you get your oil changed for $19.99.

Is it a cast Aluminium pan. or does it just look that way in the photo.

What are the new wheels, a Diahatsu 2cyl motorized wheelbarrow?.

Now, does the sand on the oil and leaving it there make the situation safer or just as dangerous. Any temporary signs put up to indicate "oil on road". Or just sand n abandon.

Aside; Lintening to an interview with Roddy Doyle talking about the changing face of Dublin, on the radio here.

AMurphy wrote:
    Is it a cast Aluminium pan. or does it just look that way in the photo.

TBH I didn't get a good look, just put the phone under the car and took the pic while it was on the AA tow truck
    AMurphy wrote:
    What are the new wheels, a Diahatsu 2cyl motorized wheelbarrow?.

A-Team look-alike 20HP courtesy car monster :)
    AMurphy wrote:
    Now, does the sand on the oil and leaving it there make the situation safer or just as dangerous

not sure on that one, I dunno what the guys use to absorb the oil. I'd say its just as dangerous/slippy for any bikers until the oil is completely absorbed and the dust blows away. "oil on road" sign... hmm don’t think I've ever seen that on Irish roads, might be different in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ando wrote:
    "oil on road" sign... hmm don’t think I've ever seen that on Irish roads, might be different in the US?
    I see them a lot. What usually happens is there is a oil spill, the council/fire brigade lay oil absorbent and put up a sign. 6 months later, the sign is still there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ando wrote:
    "oil on road" sign... hmm don’t think I've ever seen that on Irish roads, might be different in the US?
    See 'em quite often actually on the windy road between the N11 and Enniskerry, although I suspect that most times it's spilt diesel, and usually they're still there 2 months later rusting away at the side of the road long after any oil spillage has been cleared up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

roffle @ the A-team van! That's not a courtesy car, that's a discourtesy van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

OT: That phone took those pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

dawballz wrote:
    Except the pic of the phone and the rock I'd imagine ;)
    Although I'm thinking the same thing... floopin' eck, that's good quality piccage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

keep the van tbh, you'll pick up more chicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The phone looks like a 6230 or possibly a 6230i. I have the 6230i and the camera is very good indeed.

Bad luck, ando, you've just been through one of my recurring nightmares.

• Advertisement

well, got the phone call this afternoon to collect the car! I'm lucky they had a sump in stock and didnt have to wait to order one in!

Old Sump:
    Pic029.jpg

New sump:
    new_sump.jpg

The car seemed fine driving home thank god. Cost came to €336 which is not as bad as it could have been I guess, half of it was labour.
    I'll be driving AROUND the rocks from now on, I don't care if I cause a traffic jam

dawballz wrote:

yea the phone took all the pics in my first post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Looks good. guisstimate about 2 hours, Is that the oil filter in the "U" cutout in the pan?.

Oil pressure OK? ie no unusual clunking on startup/acceleration?.

Is that white gasket a solid/ridgid gasket or paste?.
    And if paste, if this has car an O2 sensor, I'll assume that the white stuff is "sensor safe", cause if it contains generic sicone, it will migrate into the intake eventually and "kill" and O2 sensors that may exist.

btw, what engine is this anyway, just for reference.... I cannot tell from that angle...... or car.. I'll admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

AMurphy wrote:
    Looks good. guisstimate about 2 hours, Is that the oil filter in the "U" cutout in the pan?.

Oil pressure OK? ie no unusual clunking on startup/acceleration?.

Is that white gasket a solid/ridgid gasket or paste?.
    And if paste, if this has car an O2 sensor, I'll assume that the white stuff is "sensor safe", cause if it contains generic sicone, it will migrate into the intake eventually and "kill" and O2 sensors that may exist.

btw, what engine is this anyway, just for reference.... I cannot tell from that angle...... or car.. I'll admit.

I don't know the engine, but it is a Seat Leon, and given Ando's fondness for recommending the TDI engines could be that. Sweet car anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Stekelly wrote:
    Will an insurance claim of €500 affect your policy much?

Not much use if you ar TPF&T or have an excess of €300 or the like.

I'm glad its all sorted out for you. I had an experience last year whereby a pothole full of water destroyed one of my alloys and a tyre. I wasn't doing more than 20 becuase it was lashing rain. Fingal Co. Co. are a joke!

Advertisement