Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy , medium , hard?

Options
  • 27-08-2005 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

When you get a game what do you play on (all poll results with be halved for the lying gits )

Most people i know play games on easy, me im double hard and go straight to hard mode for a few reasons.

If its an FPS i know wont play it a 2nd time so 1st has to be how the makers wanted it ie hard with cpu/AI at its best. Also after Perfect Dark many moons ago i found clearing it on Medium left out a few parts of levels an important part of the plot. So for FPS its hard all the way.

Sports and games with replay factor eventually i get to hard level and stick with it , racing games i play on easy cos i suck at them unless its Burnout/Road Rash ie fun racing games. Only racing game i played on hard were Wipeouts Fzero and Mario karts.
    Its the gran turismo/Sim type games i cant play on hard.

So for me to play a game it has to be on hard mainly for reaply factor i dont play games a second time much so 1st time has to count, recently i restarted God of War on hard simply cos i know i wont play it again when im done.

Kdjac

Level of dicciculty? 113 votes

Easy with cheats on, im a big girl!!
    0%
    Easy
    1%
    Slutmonkey57bDagnir Glaurung 2 votes
    Medium
    12%
    Mossy Monkspooky donkeytmanT-b0n3Stormfox1020steviecthe_obsoleteKevIRLmp3guyRoarCiaran500ghost26ieDaelusPlayaFlow 14 votes
    Hard
    58%
    satchmoStephenampwhitetrashRopeDrinkBalfaDiscoStuKintarō HattoriTheFatMakaveliTuskymonumentCreaturepopey21Rabiesdeckie27CrucifixtuxyBlistermanfeylya 66 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    27%
    MiCr0Da BouncaLex_DiamondsSputnikBKtjePugsley-oRnein9-GoodshapeLyconixEyeKdjaCLzAbboVultureThordonsound_wavei_am_dogboyDMrPinKBloodBathmadrab 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

For a first play, gererally medium or more likely easy. If I feel like replaying then maybe hard.

For games like Invisible War with its deplorable combat physics it will always be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Hard
    I usually try medium/normal first. I'll only switch to easy if I'm totally ****ed. I don't go for hard because it offers some replay value....plus I'm usually pretty ****e at a lot of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Hard
    cant help but notice you didnt vote there kdjac.

i usually play on medium. if it's the case like in goldeneye or perfect dark i try to beat it on all difficulties. saying that i have never even bothered tryin halo on anything other than normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Medium
    I'd tend to go with easy for most games. I like progressing through and seeing everything in the game. Being stuck is never much fun and I've usually a backlog of games to get through.

If I particularly like a game, or it's something like a sports game where there's no particular progression, then I'll go for hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Atari Jaguar
    I'd usualy give hard a bash before anything else, although sometimes it can be good to leave it for a replay (I did this for Half Life 2 because I just wanted to see the cool looking game first time round. Enjoyed it more on hard)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

easy/medium to start with normally, just to see if the game is worth perservering with.

Although I might start on Hard all the time after Killzone... you only got the good AI on the hard setting, I completely hated it at first, but the better AI makes for a better game(even still, the better AI doesn't exactly save the game, tbh, but it does make a difference!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Medium
    i start of on easy to get a feel for the game then go to a harder level

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Hard
    I used to go for Easy, but I think I've matured as a gamer and now I take on Normal difficulty, I suppose you get better value for your money if it takes you longer to complete it.
    I'd get really frustrated with Hard very quickly, and I just wouldn't bother looking at the game after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Medium
    for sports games i always start on easy and work my way up, for examp[le i got NBA live 2005 the other day, started off on easy/rookie started winning games by stupid margins so i upped the difficulty level.. always play pro evo on 6 stars on the rare occaisons i play one player..

shooters i always have them on easy, mainly cause i dont really have time to play games and i want to get through games and see them.. the only game i finished in the last few years was resident evil 4 and that was only cause i stopped going out and eating for a few days until i got it finished.

i think its like some form of ADD, i get bored and distracted far too easily, like when i bought Kingdom Hearts not so long ago and played one level before never going near it again...

and on solitaire it's always "deal three" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Hard
    It really depends on the game. For fighting games I'd usually play on hard but everything else would start with normal and then if the game warrants a second play through I'd go for hard.

I always start on medium (non fighting) because I find it tends to be the most balanced. Though there are some exceptions; notably RE4 with its pointlessly easy normal mode. Pro mode was so much more satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hard
    I usually take the "Medium" or more often "normal" option.

Unless the game is **** hard, in which case I would try easy, but thats a rare case...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Medium
    medium about 80% of the time. i've turned into a bit of a pussy recently and seem to go for easy mode after playing normal or hard for a few minutes (or maybe i'm just playing too many capcom games...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Hard
    I always start to play a game on medium so I can appreciate the game for the game itslef. If it starts to become to easy, I notch up to hard. I probably won't be believed but I never use cheats in a game, I mean if I've just spent the best part of fifty quid on a game, why would I try and steamroll through it as fast as possible, shortening the lifespan and taking away the satisfaction of finding an item/doing something by yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Medium
    I'm one of the pussies who starts on easy for pretty much everythin except rpg/sim games, always start on normal with them then go for hard.
    As regards cheats I never ever use 'em first time playin a game through, ruins it IMO. In the case of rpg's I may take a hint or 5 from a walkthrough but tha's bout it!
    Best cheat ever is having the .357 at the beginning of Half Life...run little piggies, run! (obv funks the game up first time thru...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Hard
    Storyline games i always play on medium (and i almost never replay them), but now you got me thinking it might be time to move up to hard. I think the next one i start will be on hard :) It just always seems to be boss battles that provide the only challenge, while the between-boss bits are always too easy :/

As for sports, racing, etc. that are nothing but replay, i'll just move the difficulty to whatever i can manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Easy
    I'm the only one who voted for Easy with cheats on ;) I don't often use cheats but some are damn handy(the save anywhere cheat for Ico is the only thing that motivated me to play it at times. Every game should have this).

What can I say? I'm a big softie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I tend to go for medium/hard. I just find easy too, well, easy.

I like a challenge in my games that forces me to think and learn from mistakes. I played Half Life 2 on medium (except for one scene in Nova Prospekt that was just impossible after 2-3 days of trying, where I switched to easy) and wished I'd gone straight for hard.

Bottom line: Start with medium, and if I feel I'm up to it, switch to a harder setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Atari Jaguar
    I always like to play the game in hard but honestly there have been a few games where ive just turned round and gone **** this and started in Medium cause i cant get past a certain bit. Example was HL2 in the prison type place where you get 3 sentry guns and you have to set them up and survive the onslaught of concubine and i spent 2 days on hard trying to do it and then i was just too pissed off and switched it back to medium for that bit and then switched it back afterwards. I know alot of people that'll play a game in medium first and then go on to hard. (or legendary in halo's case)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Hard
    Usually play through carefully on medium, then harder difficulties and then when its all 100% done, on easy mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Hard
    Medium is the usual way i play (although on Halo 2 i went easy cause i wanted to see what was gonna happen ASAP!

i used to always play on easy and then restart if i thought it was 2 simple and try aagin on medium

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Hard
    Medium usually, though in the case of Doom3 I played on hard the first time through because I read online that it was an easy game. I like a game to be challenging but not downright impossible (Yes I'm pointing at you Ikaruga!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I play on medium settings first for about 20 mins to get what the game is like, if i think i can handle i crank it up to hard and try and complete it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hard
    Usually i go medium first, sometimes easy depending on what the game is... Some games demand easy however *cough*Viewtiful Joe*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Atari Jaguar
    For fighting games with unlockable characters, I'll play on p*ss-easy until I unlock anything which takes no real skill, and then I ramp it up to the top difficulty & begin the long, slow learning curve with a few characters. :)
    I think I've gotten my Jin to 5th Dan in T5 by now. Could be better if I had a stick, though...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Atari Jaguar
    always hard because i think games are too easy these days and plus unless it is very good i won't be playing it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Hard
    Medium, I see it as some kind of ideal setting that the game was built for... with easy just giving you an unfair advantage and hard making things unnesessarily frustrating.
    Like sometimes a hard setting will just make your bullets to less damage, while not making the enemy AI more cunning or anything worthwhile like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hard
    I always start on medium, unless I've heard that a game is really easy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Normal for me but depending on the type of game I will go for the hard option. Console shmups tend to be a bit easy so i would go for hard. I know a lot of people who played capcom games go for the easy setting but you are only cheating yourself. I'd always go with normal. I managed to beat Viewtiful Joe on adults, never went near kids mode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Atari Jaguar
    Retro check your Pms.

kdjac

Advertisement