Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G Question

• 27-08-2005 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Hi - would anyone be able to answer this question:

I'm thinking of buying the Linksys Router: http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306148&cks=PLC

I'll connect a Desktop PC via an ethernet port, and a laptop via Wifi, for file sharing and using the Desktop as a local intranet server. In the future I plan to connect in a DSL modem, via an ethernet port, to share broadband internet.

I currently have a printer (Lexmark X75) connected to the Desktop, the question is will I be able to use this as a network printer with the router, i.e. disconnect if from the Desktop and plug it into the router?

Cheers for the help,
    Neal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

What kind of connection have you got between the printer and desktop? USB then you'll need a converter such as this
    I haven't done this myself yet, but it's something I'm looking into as I've recently installed a Belkin wireless/wired modem/router. I bought a HP colour laser from Komplett for SOHO use, but it's big and heavy so I'm looking at relocating it to some quiet corner in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

you could jsut leave the printer connected to PC and share it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

The printer is connected through a USB cable alright, I know I can just share it but then I'd have to leave the Desktop on, I'd prefer to have it available on the network with that, cheers

a_ominous wrote:
    What kind of connection have you got between the printer and desktop? USB then you'll need a converter such as this
    I haven't done this myself yet, but it's something I'm looking into as I've recently installed a Belkin wireless/wired modem/router. I bought a HP colour laser from Komplett for SOHO use, but it's big and heavy so I'm looking at relocating it to some quiet corner in the house.

Thanks for the link, that's pretty expensive though (including the fact that I have to buy the Wireless router....). There's no real need for this to be wireless - is there any kind of similar print server that I could plug into the ethernet port of the router? i.e. Printer -> USB -> Print Server -> ethernet port -> router?

Edit -> looks like what I need is this: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304700&cks=PRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Yeah, I didn't look at the price, just the tech requirements. They are a bit pricey.

I had a look again at some of the routers on Komplett's site. There is one that has a built-in print server that should allow you to connect the printer directly to the router and not have to keep one desktop on all the time. Link
    But it doesn't have wireless. Had a look at other SMC products and Belkin, DLink and briefly at Linksys too: they all appear to have stand-alone print servers, only SMC have one built into a router, as above.

Just did a bit more rooting around, and came across this US Robotics wireless router with built-in printer server (USB port). Now where can you buy it? And can you get it to work in Europe?

In my own case, I think I'll go for a wireless print server. Saves me having to pull wires through walls. This is still cheaper that buying a HP printer that has a JetDirect card pre-installed by a long shot. Just need to sort out the power sockets.

The neatest solution for me would be a single wireless/wired modem/router combo with print server that could be wall-mounted in hallway or beside the office. But I've got me modem/router now for 80 yoyos ex-VAT.
    I would expect the networking companies to start doing stuff like this within a year. I certainly wouldn't to be moving an expensive photo printer from machine to machine. And I'd see more people going wireless too. Maybe the new 125Mbps as it's got more range.

• Advertisement

a_ominous wrote:
    Just did a bit more rooting around, and came across this US Robotics wireless router with built-in printer server (USB port). Now where can you buy it? And can you get it to work in Europe?

Cheers for the info! I had a look on TigerDirect.com - the have it for $70, I think they would ship here but it says for international orders you have to ring them. I read a review here, sounds like a very good product and would be ideal for what I need..... pity I've already ordered the Linksys Wireless Router and CNet USB Print Server..... ah well - new toys!

Advertisement