Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland.....going down

• 27-08-2005 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody on this board believe that Sunderland can actually stay up?
    No points from 4 matches.
    2 goals scored.
    Just lost a huge 6 pointer.

Anyone?

Can they stay up? 13 votes

Yes they can stay up
    0%
    maybe
    23%
    SeanehThe_B_Maneirebhoy 3 votes
    Not a chance
    76%
    Mossy Monkmike65evilhomerCorben Dallasp.peteBig NellyJivin TurkeyDoctorEdgeWildBrian017applehunter 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think they've been unlucky in some of the games, but I had them down as relegation contenders before the season started, and I'll stick to it. I don't think they have enough quality up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Elliot got a full game and thats all that matters.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Not a chance
    They won the championship with a lot to spare last year. I think they have the ability to stay up once they steady the ship.

There is enough poor teams that stayed up last year which means that promoted sides are in with as good a chance of ever of staying up.

Im looking at you Portsmouth and West Brom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Not a chance
    Newcastle haven't even scored a goal yet!!!

It's too early to say yet.
    this time last year west brom were the team that was going down, no-one believed any different. But the hung on by the skin of their teeth.

34 more games to go, far too early to be guessing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

maybe
    I think they are 3 or 4 players away from a decaint squad.
    They need a goal scorer, stead and elliot are good but not good enough.
    They laso need atleast one good centre midfeilder, robinson and whitehead just arent good enough at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Its not looking good, is it?

There are plenty of teams that will be in the melting pot come the end of the season. Pompey and Fulham are going to have difficult seasons, and Wigan are in the reckoning too. I have to say, I don't see anyone in the Mackem's squad capable of giving them some self belief, and I think they'll go back down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Sunderland will go down with Portsmouth and Fulham. Fulham had a good result today but their squad is weak and they caught Everton on a low ebb after crashing out of the Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

I voted havent a chance but they will defintely be one of the teams near the bottom fighting relegation.

Mick is best fighting to stay up. He best qualities is those relegation battles so see what happens

jubbly wrote:

Mick is best fighting to stay up. He best qualities is those relegation battles so see what happens

Yes he is damn what a fighter in relegation battles i mean 19(22 now) straight defeats in a row....whadda guy!!!!!

:D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Bye bye Mick, enjoy the championship next season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

they have been a tad unlucky at times and the fact that its so early in the season, i think theres alot to happen before they are going down.

one major dissappointment has been their home attendance, what the fcuk is the story? they used to be so well supported.

jubbly wrote:

23 minutes later...
    jubbly wrote:
    Bye bye Mick, enjoy the championship next season

F*ck me, you're like a yoyo...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

Hopefully they will go down.

They are just one of those teams that I irrationally dislike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Not a chance
    I think it's gonna be really tough for them but I don't think they'll be so poor that they will take Swindon's record (95 goals against I think??). I'm pretty sure they will be in the bottom 3 when the final day comes.

It is unusual how they took the Championship so comprehensively last season and are struggling so far in the Premiership. Adds fuel to the argument about the gulf in class between the Prem and the Champ, nothing Abramovich's money wouldn't fix I'd say.

However, its VERY early days at the moment. Bring back Peter Reid I say :D

It is unusual how they took the Championship so comprehensively last season and are struggling so far in the Premiership. Adds fuel to the argument about the gulf in class between the Prem and the Champ, nothing Abramovich's money wouldn't fix I'd say.

Sunderland transfers out:

Neill Collins Hartlepool United
    Michael Bridges Bristol City
    Thomas Myhre Fredrikstad
    Sean Thornton Doncaster Rovers
    Michael Ingham Wrexham
    Brian Deane Out of Contract
    Jeff Whitley Cardiff City
    Mark Lynch Hull City
    Marcus Stewart Bristol City
    Richie Ryan Scunthorpe United

Sunderland transfers in:

Christian Bassila Strasbourg
    Andy Gray Sheffield United
    Joe Murphy West Bromwich Albion
    Anthony Le Tallec Liverpool
    Alan Stubbs Out of Contract
    Martin Woods Leeds United
    Tommy Miller Ipswich Town
    Kelvin Davis Ipswich Town
    Jon Stead Blackburn Rovers
    Nyron Nosworthy Gillingham
    Daryl Murphy Waterford

Theres your answer IMO. More than half the team that lost yesterday arrived in the Summer. Its a hard enough task staying up as it is, without having to bed down a half dozen new signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I'll tell ya why Sunderland are struggling the way they are, McCarthy is the most tactically inepot cabbage I've ever seen manage in the Premier league.

He has a lone striker up front and absolutely nothing in the middle of midfield to win the ball or create an attack. They dont look to bad at the back apart from that clown Gary Breen.

When your lone striker is Jon Stead who quite frankly, is a terrible front man for this level, then you are always going to have problems. Elliot is wasted on the right wing really and Nosworthy at right full is fairly poor.

THey do have a decent enough squad of players if McCarthy would go 4-4-2 with Gray and Elliot up front, this new Bassila might make a big difference in midfield. I can see them getting some points anyway but relegation looks likely.

They were very unlucky yesterday, Breen should have left the header to the keeper and Roberts blatantly dived, but why was Breen even heading it when he could see all 11 wigan players in front of him? Cos hes a clown defender probably.

Stead's greed also cost them a clear goal when he could have left the ball for the man behind him but decided to drag it wide feebly.

Their problems do lie in CM , he needs to find his best 4 fast.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

I cant see Sunderland staying up at all i dont think they have the skill or ability needed to stay up. They seem to be the only really weak team this year in the premiership i can see them going down at earliest date yet in history of premiership. Prob get into double figures for points around x-mas. Whether their neighbours newcastle stay up or even get top 15 is a question for another day (unless that gimp of a manager Graeme Souness is sacked, he ruined Liverpool/Blackburn and now Newcastle i say give him the England job)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Not a chance
    i think its too early to say yes, but it wouldnt surprise me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Not a chance
    fergmcd wrote:
    They seem to be the only really weak team this year in the premiership i can see them going down at earliest date yet in history of premiership. Prob get into double figures for points around x-mas.
    Lets be honest here, there are plenty of weak teams in the Premiership. Id say it will be the tightest relegation battle yet. The three promoted sides are obviously candidates for relegation. WBA and Portsmouth (who have looked very shaky since the departure of Redknapp) will also be in the mix.

After four games, to say you can see them going down at the earliest date yet in the history of the Premiership (and just to let you know football did exist pre 1992) is nothing short of ridiculous. Im sure you dont even know what that record is for Gods sake!
    fergmcd wrote:
    Whether their neighbours newcastle stay up or even get top 15 is a question for another day (unless that gimp of a manager Graeme Souness is sacked, he ruined Liverpool/Blackburn and now Newcastle i say give him the England job)
    Boards.ie is a wonderful place. They even have a personal issues forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

After four games, to say you can see them going down at the earliest date yet in the history of the Premiership (and just to let you know football did exist pre 1992)

Yeah, but the Premiership didnt. Its a completely different league to the old First Division, run by an independant body to the FA.

Advertisement