Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many students!!

Options
  • 27-08-2005 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I get the impression from reading the UCD undergrad. prospectus that there are many students there. How many are there really right now? How many study science and arts? Will the amount of students affect your studies and opportunities for learning and doing well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I think there are about 20,000 students altogether, that includes undergraduates and postgraduates.

In 1st Arts, there are about 1200 students. Depending on your subjects, you can be in really small or really large classes. English and History tend to be very large, with 400 or 500 students in lectures, but tutorials only have about ten people in them. Language subjects tend to have fewer large lectures and more tutorial-style classes. I'm not sure about Science and other Arts subjects.

As for class size affecting your work, I never found it had a bad effect. No one asks questions in lectures, so the amount of people doesn't affect the amount of material covered. If you have a question, you can approach the lecturer afterwards, but this isn't often necessary. If you learn better in a small group, make sure you attend all your tutorials because they will be helpful to you. Generally you are expected in Arts to do a lot of work (reading etc) outside of class hours, so class size isn't a huge problem.

After first year, classes get smaller. Again, this varies with your subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

In first year there about 400 people in Science. Big courses like Chemistry and pass maths have more than little subjects like Mathematical Physics and Honours Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

elbee pretty much sumed it up. There are ALOT of students.

On another note, 2,000 posts! Yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

Hey Mr. Bad Guy, you made that post just to get 2000 posts! :p

This was all I needed to know! Grazias!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Vangelis wrote:
    Hey Mr. Bad Guy, you made that post just to get 2000 posts! :p

This was all I needed to know! Grazias!

You're so cynical. :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

No, it's just mood swings. :p