Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6Gb file to iPod?

• 27-08-2005 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm trying to move a 6Gb file to my 20Gb iPod (I have 17Gb free).
    Now everytime I try to move it to the iPod I get a "Destination drive full" error. I know my iPod isn't full, and other files copy no problem but this one file won't copy.
    I imagine this is due to Window's limited file handling capabilities (especially with BIG files) but there has to be a way of getting it onto the iPod without splitting the file (this is NOT an option!)
    I'm using XP Pro.

Regards,
    Digi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Your iPod's formatted to FAT32 and FAT32 has a size limit on files larger than 4 gigs or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

(this is NOT an option!)
    I'm using XP Pro.

Regards,
    Digi.

It is if you use winrar to split it into 50Mb files dont matter what it is , winrar will split it and reassemble it on the other pc you want it to be on.
    Unless its the biggest damn mp3 ever :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

4gb file limit in fat32, as already mentioned.
    short of converting the drive to ntfs (which would render the iPod useless as an mp3 player) there's not much you can do if you want to avoid splitting it.

what type of file is it?
    there may be other ways around this...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

Not sure if I should mention this - but I will anyways.
    It's the Tigerx86 image file and I was hoping to use the iPod as an external hard drive, then boot the Ubuntu Live cd and use the iPod as an external hard drive. I can't split it up for this reason - not unless anyone knows a way of getting it to work somehow?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

Try the links on that wiki

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

I got a 4th Gen iPod - Above method won't work! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Nowt you can do so.

Advertisement