Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new exhaust is louder then the old knackered one!

Options
  • 27-08-2005 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

now it's only the back box, but the car (1.3 97 fiesta) is making more noise than ever. the old back box was clearly knackered though, and giving it abit of a tump you could hear all the rust sitting in the bottom of it, so it needed doing.

i'm just worried about the noise from the new one.

the guy in the garage says it's because it's new it's all bear metal inside the box, and it needs a 'bit of carbonisation'. is he talking crap to avoid having to replace it again, or is this the case?

he says to give it 200 miles to get a bit of dirt on the inside which will quieten it down, and if i'm still not happy to bring it back, which is fair enough but i don't know if he's pulling my leg about the noise or not.

anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I don't know if he is or not, but driving 200 miles to quiten the engine is a long time for others that have to listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Bring it to another mechanic and get a second opinion. Also, did the car quieten after 200 miles driving when new? I think he's having you on, most cars come with a handful of miles and don't need to be driven a while to quiet down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hey, I have to listen to it too! ;)

anyway, it's not loud like a JCB loud, it's more of a boy racer loud.

i have to admit i think it's a bit quieter now than it was when they fitted it on thursday. we've been out looking at houses today and I have 75 miles clocked up already since it was done thursday afternoon.

i guess time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

vibe666 wrote:
    hey, I have to listen to it too! ;)

anyway, it's not loud like a JCB loud, it's more of a boy racer loud.

It's a bit deeper, but equally as annoying! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

true. nothing worse than someone with a toyota starlet who thinks it's a supra!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like you got a cheapo back box! Those Bosals last no time either.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

vibe666 wrote:
    the guy in the garage says it's because it's new it's all bear metal inside the box, and it needs a 'bit of carbonisation'. is he talking crap to avoid having to replace it again, or is this the case?
    Hes talking crap because he either sold you muck at a great mark-up or didn't seal it right at the manifolds.

New exhaust, even a decent spurious one, doesn't need a build-up of dirt to keep it quiet.

Thats total BS.

-edit- if he expects dirt to quieten it, its probably that he didn't fit it properly. The joins probably arent sealed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Bull.

I had a problem in quikfit, I was driving my mothers car and the exhaust started blowing like a mad thing - think it had to do with a certain gate post :( Anyway - brought it down to quikfit, watched them bodge on a new one almost in disbelief. When it was started it seemed fine though. Drove it about a mile and it was blowing.

Brought it back - turns out an apprentice had been left to fit it and had basically cut and welded a new one on at the manifold, when all he needed to do was unbolt the backbox and fit an new one. Needless to say we got a complete new system free, which was silent for the next 15000 miles!

Advertisement