Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling in the Years- RTE's only good thing?

• 27-08-2005 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭

Seriously. Every one perfectly selected, perfectly edited, and unfailingly moving. The other day, I came to the conclusion that it's the best thing RTE have ever had a hand in. But - not to belittle RITY - as I look through another dire week's programming, it occurs to me that it may well also be the only good thing RTE has ever done. I mean... can anybody else think of a single RTE programme that they enjoyed watching?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I mean... can anybody else think of a single RTE programme that they enjoyed watching?
    The panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ah, fair. And I guess that goes for DFTG too. Blizzard of Odd is fabulous too, but given how much of it's material is built around the general badness of RTE, does it count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Liked it a lot,no ego driven presenter/Voice-over to ruin my memory lane trip.

In fact, I think I really, really love it. So I went looking about a DVD release...

From http://www.rte.ie/tv/reelingintheyears/faq.html
    WILL RTE BE ISSUING A VIDEOCASSETTE OF 'REELING IN THE YEARS' FOR SALE IN THE SHOPS?

Sorry, but no. We've had a lot of interest in the idea of a 'boxed set' of 'Reeling In The Years' and we've looked into the feasibility of it, but the issues of copyright ownership and fees make it impossible. Firstly, RTE doesn't own the copyright control on a lot of the material in the programme. We think it's essential to include international events in order to give a context to what was going on in Ireland, and so we buy in clips of foreign stories from other companies. ITN, BBC, Associated Press, etc., charge several hundred pounds per minute per transmission of their footage, never mind video rights, and if we wanted to keep their material in a video, that video would then be extremely expensive! Secondly, with regard to much of the material in the rest of the show, RTE only has 'broadcast clearance' as opposed to 'video clearance', and selling the programmes on video would entail a massive series of negotiations with record companies (permissions and payments for music), production companies (the various film clips and ads), as well as individuals who've given us their own material, etc. What you're then looking at is a legal minefield of permissions, consents and contracts. RTE does issue videos of its programmes, but those programmes are covered by contracts that include video rights. 'Reeling In The Years' doesn't have that cover. To put the matter bluntly, we'd have to pay a fortune to release the show as it stands. So then, we looked at the alternative. The alternative is to cut a load of relevant stuff out and change some of the music in the programme, which we just wouldn't want to do because .....well, because the programme would only be half as good then, it wouldn't be anything like the shows that went out on air, and we'd end up disappointing people.

Ack! At least before I went looking, I had dim hope. I wonder if they'd never made Big Bow Wow or the Afternoon Show, could they have afforded it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its a typical, self made RTE show. Make a few, then have it on at the same time every year for the next ten years or so, have a five year hiatus, then bring it back again.

Good production values, and good to watch the first, and even second time around. Right now its gotten to the point of filler television, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

can anybody else think of a single RTE programme that they enjoyed watching?
    I've never gotten around to seeing it but my parents loved "Strumpet City".
    Often cited as the one decent drama that RTE ever managed.
    Reeling in the Years is great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

They had a series a million years ago, possibly late 70s early 80s, which consisted of a series of 'ordinary' women talking directly to camera. I think it was called 'Plain Tales' - it was fantastic. I think Doireann Ni Bhriain produced it. I always wondered why they didn't continue on and make a companion series with men, or at least repeat the original.

The series 'Hands' was another good one, although it's kind of dated now.

I agree 'Reeling in the Years' is good - some of their compliations at the end of sporting events are good too.

Bring back 'The Spike', I say. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yep agree Reeling in the years, The Panel are there only homgrown good programmes (I like Just for laughs too ... only thing i dont like is Ed Burns talking (which is RTE's only original bit in the show)!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Reeling in the years is marvellous, the panel and blizzard of odd will always be good. Perhaps a few more are needed, spruce up the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's a top show alright. Pity it'll never get a dvd release.

I was watching 1977 the other day and strangely not a mention of the movie Star Wars (prob the cultural phenomenon of the year), yet at the same there was about a full minute on the Evel Knievel wind-up toy motorbike. Somehow I think someones personal nostaligia and bias crept into the edit there! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Strumpet City is a great show alright, ye should read the book too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

can anybody else think of a single RTE programme that they enjoyed watching?

Upwardly Mobile. It was pure, comic genius - Bring it back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Spogpean wrote:
    Upwardly Mobile. It was pure, comic genius - Bring it back!!
    You're kidding, right?

Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

To answer the OP, No, I can't think of single other RTE produced program that I would pay good money to have on my bookshelf.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah that's a shame. Indeed, if any RTÉ programme was worthy of purchase on DVD, then it'd definitely be Reeling in the Years.

Shame it's not to be. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Reeling In The Years, and it's a shame that it won't be coming out on DVD :( Damn.
    <snip> Promoting illegal file sharing and selling is not permitted, even if you did perhaps mean it as a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Great programme. As regards comments about content, I like the way they pick stuff that is not obvious.

IMHO Strumpet City is worth the cash - superb series.

The View is consistantly well-produced, albeit the choice of subjects may be slightly too 'artsy' at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Ther years 1960-74 were for me the most interesting the year Abba won the Eurovision things went downhill music wise. Everything else is in recent memory The 80's best forgotten when this country could not support its own people, depressing times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Prime Time is another good RTÉ show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Malorkus

Everything on RTE is sh*te, except Reeling in The Years. Murphy's Golden Movies was good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Panel
    Blizzard of Odd
    Paths to Freedom
    Love is The Drug

@Last TV was good
    The Den (With Iano and Raymondo)

A lot of RTE's output is underrated IMO. But yes Reeling In The Years is a good show.

There True Lives Series is good. Lot of their documentries.

The Family Silver is excellent. Repeat over the summer. Its getting a new series if you get to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I agree Elmo. Plenty of decent RTE programs out there, but just because its not The Simpsons, Comedy, or Teen Drama they get tarred as being crap.

Caught Secret Sights and Hidden Histories (i think thats the name) as I was flicking around recently and was pleasantly impressed with both. Prime Time has been very good for a while - there was another series along the lines of Unsolved Murders presented by Cathal O'Shannon that was well presented even Nationwide is a pleasant enough program for its own audience. Ive seen a couple of episodes of Questions and Answers (McDowell and McLoughlin's argument) where I realised why I was paying a licence for. I think what RTE have failed to do and could do easily is to produce is their own hit quiz, copy 15to1's format with bigger prizes and put it out at 7.30, and a good detective series - something along the lines of Morse (which they have bought in in teh past) rather than showing CSI all night.

But then again, thats what the public want and most of those who complain about it would prefer to see a Sky One type channel with no soul and 99% reruns or tabloid TV or an entertainment channel, the TV3 approach, who seem to go out of its way to stop broadcasting any programs of quality- Agenda, 20/20, in preference for rehashed ITV nonsense. Celebrity Love Island Revisited indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I thought Bachelor's Walk was quite good actually. Good, harmless fun.
    But RITY, now that's quality television.
    If you think about it though, RTE are by far better than some of that eurotrashy tv you're forced to watch when you get heatstroke on holidays.
    Or that crap the yanks have on the box.

and a good detective series - something along the lines of Morse

DDU was quite good.

Proof: eventually gave up on Proof I don't know if a Crime Fighting Jornalist is all that exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

agreed with the above posters.
    RITY years is a fantastic program. I think the key to it's success is because it's so simple. Clips of the chosen year's events with unobtrusive text commentry. no annoying presenters. no ads. no bias (most of the times).
    it can be quite harrowing at times as it details some of the events in the Troubles, the fall of Saigon etc.

have they made a series for the 90's?

have they made a series for the 90's?

It was the first series the made.

I think the only problem with RITY (other then I was tring to figure out what RITY ment?) is that it is only on because Six One isn't going out for a full hour. IMO RTE should have an Hour long news during the summer months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Minor correction, the 1980s was made first, then the 1990s :)
    The year 2000 came just in time to be tackled after the 80s series finished airing in 1999!

Reeling in the Years is without doubt one of RTÉ's finest ever productions, and I think it came as a surprise to even the commissioners of the series themselves in terms of just how well assembled they all are, and how popular they turned out to be. From the choice of events to the music used, to the text featured on screen, they are beautifully made pieces of television.

What decade is peoples' favourite? Mine would have to be the 1980s, the original and best :)
    It was a decade of such turbulance in this country, politically, socially and economically, which makes for the most gripping and a times the most heart-rendering television. Particularly the scenes of emigration and the music of the era laid over them - whatever about the cliched nature of the format, it is without doubt for me some of the most potent television ever made in Ireland.

The grainy 1980s footage, the rich vein of events featured and the distinctive music makes the 80s decade a classic television series - I've seen them all at least three times at this stage :)

The other 1960s and 1970s series aren't quite as effective, but especially the 1960s which was quite cliched in its chucking down of 'hip' music over every scene - rather tokenistic, almost patronising series - though I appreciate it is much more difficult to delicately interweave the various elements together from such a different era and with limited footage.

Reeling in the Years can too easily be glossed over as a filler programme to glance at in the corner while having your dinner - it's much more than that.
    You really have to sit down and watch it like you originally did when aired at 20.30 to appreciate how well made a series it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a pity that Reeling' in the Years is BBCs Rock and Roll Years under a different name.

That DDU was crap (if its the one with the moody copper in a loft).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

I LOVE it!!! Have watched them all and am now watching the repeats.
    Tomorrow - Tuesday, it is on for an hour, 6:30pm to 7:30pm, 2 years featured, 1982 & 1983!!
    The best programme that RTÉ made! Classic TV!

Morgans wrote:
    I agree Elmo. Plenty of decent RTE programs out there, but just because its not The Simpsons, Comedy, or Teen Drama they get tarred as being crap.

....(snip)

But then again, thats what the public want and most of those who complain about it would prefer to see a Sky One type channel with no soul and 99% reruns or tabloid TV or an entertainment channel, the TV3 approach, who seem to go out of its way to stop broadcasting any programs of quality- Agenda, 20/20, in preference for rehashed ITV nonsense. Celebrity Love Island Revisited indeed.

No, I just want a break from RTE's obsession with farming, religion and Pat Kenny. I live on a farm, I'm over the religion thing, and I couldn't care less about Pat Kenny if he announced that his next career move was to marry Daniel O'Donnell and take up competitive dominos. It's no secret that RTE's programming is almost entirely aimed at middle-aged civil servants, and I can honestly say that RITY is the only thing I've ever watched on RTE1 more than once. No, wait, I kinda liked the Island.

The point is, I don't think TV3 produces particularly good programming either, I just wish we had a channel here that could rival, or at least emulate, the standard of content routinely produced by Channel 4. Instead we have RTE, who insist on rehashing exactly the same formats they had when the channel closed down at 9 pm every night, and most of the same presenters. Honestly, if it weren't for Scrubs, Lost and RITY, I can't think of any shows I'd turn to the RTE channels to see, and I don't think I'm alone in that. More importantly, I don't think it's too much to ask for that my native channel produces something of interest to the audience that I'm part of. I enjoy some of TG4's filler programming more than I do RTE's most trumpeted fare, and I don't even speak the damn language.

I can agree with alot of what your saying Jill but you touch on all of the reasons that everyone suggests. Which IMO are just bland and old (well thats what rte are :rolleyes: )

I could do that list everything bad about RTE

Pat Kenny
    etc etc

But I think your wrong I think their are alot of good things about RTE that I like.

I think TV3 and RTE could to what TG4 do "filler" programming. Is a soap filler programming? I don't know prehaps local programming.

Prehaps RTE, TV3 and TG4 should just be regions of BBC, ITV and C4. But then they prob would not make shows like RITY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Daddio wrote:
    I thought Bachelor's Walk was quite good actually.
    Agreed - and surprised no one else mentioned it. Great show imo. Only RTE dvd I own.

Although didn't they try and cancel it around three times within it's three season run?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

love RITY. get to see it tonight over here too, and its my birthyear ;)

the only other RTE program i liked was Live at Three.

Fair enough Jill. The late late show is the late late show. I dont watch it. I couldnt care less about Pat Kenny. But it is what it is. A good presenter wouldnt neccessarily mean a better program. Its never going to turn into Graham Norton Live (thank god) but its aimed at those people who are in on a Friday night. Its the winning streak/fame and fortune nonsense that gets on my nerves. The only people that can find that sort of ****e entertaining are those people with connections to the contestants.

I think its laudable that bought in programs like The Sopranos (the best television Ive ever seen) Lost (not so much) are shown here before England etc is a feather in their cap. A large section of RTE's audiences have the option of watching the English channels. It shows quality programs such as The West Wing, The Sopranos, THe Larry Sanders Show, Seinfeld (sporadically) It shows much of the sport that the public want to see. All Ireland, THe Premiership, Champions League, Six NAtions, Racing, etc.

Of its own produced programs, even I find Ear to the Ground watchable, but knowing that its not made for me. I find it well produced and interesting enough. For instance, tonight there are two RITY's, The REstaurant which is watchable when on. Cracking Crime is decent, always enjoy it when I watch ir. That's one night, and I find the output fine. CYE is on on TG4.

As I said it needs a good comedy, amybe a good quiz, and a good detective series as flagships. They had the childrens sector wrapped up with the Den, dont know if that is still the case. And maybe they have too many documentary style output, but they are making an effort with their new light entertainment/ lifestyle programs. Of which Show me the money is about as good as you will see anywhere, but some turkeys produced also.

I just think that RTE takes flak from people who feel that the entire program schedule should be based around their own personal preferences. If I was to choose one channel to watch of those available to me, I would find it hard not to pick one of the RTE channels, probably 2 because of hte sport. I could live without the current affairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Very good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Fully agreed - 90% of critisism levelled at RTÉ is derived from personal preferences, and by and large from young people complaining that it's 'not Channel 4'.

As I have always seen it, RTÉ's biggest problem is that it is 'Irish Television'. There is no other alternative like in the UK - if everyone over there only had the BBC as their native television and nothing else, people would hold a very dim view of it indeed.
    RTÉ does remarkably well in the face of competition, exceedingly well in fact, and at least makes a decent effort at trying to produce programming to cater for all tastes.

I think if you only had the BBC in the UK, you'd find much of the output is aimed at 35+ also - RTÉ has a difficult balancing act to play, and inevitably this does fall slightly in favour of older generations on RTÉ One. But there is a vast array of programming from RTÉ that you can pick and choose from - just becasue it doesn't show American drama and the Simpsons on continous loop does not mean it it not worthy of public funds, or make it 'a load of crap' :rolleyes:

There is such an immature attitude to RTÉ on the internet in particular it beggars belief at times (not here of course :)) - and it perfectly reflects the average demographic of teenage/twenty/thirtysomethings that use forums who are generally more interested in imported 'young people's' programming.

At the end of the day RTÉ's primary concern is to make Irish news and current affairs, followed by factual programmes/documentary and drama that reflect Irish life.
    All other glitzy, fashionable productions must come secondary to that, and this usually mean young people's programming. With more resources from the recent licence increase this is improving dramatically of late, with more money that ever being pumped into 15-34 production.

The staples of The Late Late Show, Prime Time, Q&A and Winning Streak etc are all the highest rating programmes on television in Ireland, not Irish television, but television IN Ireland, including ALL other stations, and on a weekly basis - the Late Late being the highest rated production in Ireland pretty much every year with the exception of the Toy Show which beats its originator down to second place.

And please enough about Kenny - another arguement that crops up to reinforce the notion that RTÉ is 'rubbish'. Pat has his faults, but is a true professional and one of the best broadcasters in these islands - there is simply nobody else that can attain the audience figures that he does. The Late Late is as popular as Kenny Live ever was. The fact that it is not So Graham Norton or Jonathon Ross is a pathetic reason to bash it as is so often done.

People ought to be more objective, factual, and considerate of other viewers before attacking RTÉ with the usual childish quips that are always thrown about.
    (again, never in a million years here of course ;))

Indeed some very good observations in this thread about RTE. I would like to say that there are some pretty fine documentries on TG4. A while back they covered the assisination of the dutch politican Pym Fortune, last week there was a fasinating prog on Siobhain O'Keefe a one time oscar nominated rival to Maureen O'Hara in the 1940s-1950s. Last Saturday another covered the Irish involved in mining in Montana during the first half of twenetith century. If that is not your thing programs like Pasiean Faisean are quite enjoyable.

Thanks for the supportive comments.

Telefis. I think Pat Kenny is rubbish on TV. By all accounts he is decent on teh radio, but he makes more guests feel uncomfortable in the LAte Late than any other talk show host that Ive seen. He reminds me of a nerdy teenager wanting to feel up the attractive ladies that come on the program. The time Mel B, equally desperate, sat on his lap in the audience while they cut to an add break was one of the most sickening/cringing sights ive seen in a while. I've seen Benni (i think) from ABBA get upset when Pat said that ABBA were successful because their lyrics were created using basic english. Ive seen him discuss his ****e with Gillan McKeith (sp) for 15 minutes, thinking it was funny, but I didnt see anyone else laughing.

Give it to Miriam or Tubridy. I dont think Pat has an audience that actually likes him, they put up with him, because he was the best option at the time, but anytime I see him do the Late Late, he seems to make a twit out of himself.

I agree with your sentiments. Its flogging a dead horse having kenny hosting the Late Late also its too long an hour should be enough. Kenny cannot do entertainment he takes himself too seriously. He has notions about himself that comes across when interviewing guests. The lowpoint last season was having the silicon dane Brigitte Neilson on the show. Tubridy would give the show a lease of life I agree with what Vincent Browne said in the Village, he has the potential to become a fine broadcaster if he stopped twittering about and used less of the young fogey image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Eh, Podge and Rodge people ???

Loved Zig and Zag when i was growing up, and Dustin is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I rarely watch RTE myself and don't like it but Reeling back the years was a fantastic exception, great during the summer at 6:30pm, each day. For 1 I learned a lot about things I didn't know and also it could go from funny to moving in a instant with just a break in music or a new song. A very well produced show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I'll never forget RTE for showing David Lynch's "Twin Peaks" on a monday night after the 9.00pm news for what seemed like years... ;) how strange!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

Morgans wrote:
    Give it to Miriam or Tubridy.

Tubridy is way over hyped IMO. His shows on t.v. have been very poor. He is nothing without his text machine. Everything he seems to do from his radio programme to his t.v. programme has involved getting people to text in witty comments which he reads out and gives him fuel to talk for another few minutes and fill up valuable air time. On the other hand Miriam is a great presenter.

For years the only channels I had was the RTE's, TV3 and TG4. For the last while now I have had sky digital but i find myself looking at RTE more often than not. Rip Off Republic is proving to be a great success. The lyrics board is also another success story for them. Even though I switch the station everytime it comes on, I can not knock its popularity. It has been sold around the world to many different countries. True Lies often has some amasing stories like last nights episode about the childrem of Beslin (I think thats how you spell it)

Off the topic kind off but...

In realation to Chat show IMO

1. A pre-record format works better
    2. I agree totally with chris p duck about tubrity.
    3. Pat can do serious and should be given Prime Time while Miriam should take over the Late Late.

I though Miriam's show was good and I know I said I think Pre-record chat is better. Miriam would suit the "live" Late Late down to the Ground.

Also give Turbirty Tonight to D'arsy. (or even Dave Fanning anyone, maybe bring back Kenny Live :( ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Elmo wrote:

Also give Turbirty Tonight to D'arsy. (or even Dave Fanning anyone, maybe bring back Kenny Live :( ).

Run for the hills!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Elmo wrote:
    Kenny Live :( ).
    Now, there's an oxymoron.

I am just say that I don't like Turbirty and that Kenny is better IMO. not much better just not as Agrevating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Just back to RITY for a mo, surely RTE own enough of the stuff to put together an abbreviated/highlights version? FWIW, Seven Ages is pretty good too. Expensive though.

Brilliant program on Joe Cahill and the IRA on RTE1 last night. The way a history/current affairs program should be produced. Quality stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement