Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling in the Years- RTE's only good thing?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Morgans wrote:

Telefis. I think Pat Kenny is rubbish on TV. By all accounts he is decent on the radio, but he makes more guests feel uncomfortable in the Late Late than any other talk show host that I’ve seen. He reminds me of a nerdy teenager wanting to feel up the attractive ladies that come on the program. The time Mel B, equally desperate, sat on his lap in the audience while they cut to an add break was one of the most sickening/cringing sights ive seen in a while. I've seen Benni (i think) from ABBA get upset when Pat said that ABBA were successful because their lyrics were created using basic English. I’ve seen him discuss his ****e with Gillan McKeith (sp) for 15 minutes, thinking it was funny, but I didnt see anyone else laughing.

Give it to Miriam or Tubridy. I dont think Pat has an audience that actually likes him, they put up with him, because he was the best option at the time, but anytime I see him do the Late Late, he seems to make a twit out of himself.

Hi Morgans,

While I agree with all you say about RTÉ as a whole, I can't agree with what you say about Pat - he doesn't make guests feel uncomfortable. Gillan McKeith is quite simply a bitch - she was an awkward guest. While I accept Pat could've handled it better and he didn't direct the interview in the direction everyone wanted it to go, i.e. quality of food and diet etc, she was equally difficult to handle - uninterested, a bit scatty and just plain awkward.
    And I totally disagree about Mel C - that was one of his BEST interviews ever! He was the epitome of cool. I was bowled over at how well he handled her - he was funny, calm and collected, and dealt with the situation better than even Gay would've done. And she liked him too which showed. And they did not cut to a break - the interview was coming to its end up in the audience anyway, having been on stage for 10-12 minutes previously. Most people, including young people the next day I spoke to agreed with how well he handled it.

It is unfair misinformation like this that has formed so much of Pat's public image.
    And yet in the media constantly spin his very odd crap interview as being representative of what he does all of the time. He makes a few clunky errors in a show or item, and they're still dragging them up five years later.

Nobody else comes in for the level of attack that Pat does - it is extraordinary, and mostly from people who rarely watch the show, or don't listen to him on radio - then they tune into the Late Late once or twice, see a bad interview and spread the word about him being useless forevermore.
    Or they see him, gasp, shock, talking to a young woman! and so jump on him as being a 'perve' or a 'sleezebag' or whatever. It's just a joke.

Pat is the ultimate professional, and one of the best broadcasters in these islands. On the Late Late he can turn his hand to pretty much anything, and be knowledgable about it too. His interviews maybe formulaic, but they by and large work successfully and he gets through most confidently and professionally. How he works the studio, the cameras, the studio floor, introduces guests, delivers links - all eloquently and naturally delivered. He is a steady hand.

Fully agreed most people 'put up' with him - he never has had the loyal television audience that Gay or Mike had, but he still manages to pull in viewers like no other broadcaster in Ireland. You might dispute that as he has the advantage of Friday night, but I'd challenge any other broadcaster bar Gay to get his audience figures - Miriam might reach 500,000 on average.

He is a neutral, steady hand that guides a long, varied show. Just because British television is so personality-driven does not mean the Late Late or indeed any other production must follow suit. Fair enough, Norton or Ross play on their respective personalities and formats, but likewise the Late Late has a format of its own that is equally credible. It is a production that does not depend on format, irony or comedy to get by – it features guests in a largely neutral fashion. This is something to be promoted, not derided. Pat may be somewhat in the background, but that’s the nature of the programme.
    Of course I and everyone else gets frustrated on Pat’s reliance on notes to steer some interviews, or his truly bizarre refusal to allow guests guide the conversation, but these are comparatively minor points for the most part.
    The Late Late Show and Pat Kenny should be praised for what they are, not derided for what they are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

There was a cookery show on RTE on Sats around 11 o' clock or something...

'twas call 'Yan Can Cook' I think...

Good times... :)

Remember it well :)

...unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Unfortunately???

Are you kidding me? That guy was teh shti!

'mixxy mixxy, mashy mashy, swishy swishy...'

It was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    Nobody else comes in for the level of attack that Pat does - it is extraordinary, and mostly from people who rarely watch the show, or don't listen to him on radio - then they tune into the Late Late once or twice, see a bad interview and spread the word about him being useless forevermore.

I'm one of the (many) people who doesn't like the current format of the Late Late Show. I agree that Pat Kenny is an excellent television presenter and a dilligent journalist, but I don't think he's ever been suited to a two-hour live entertainment show. As an interviewer, I find him quite tedious. The engineer in him comes to the fore and he has a tendency to over-research his subject, resulting in a very bland interview. He has his interview planned to perfection, with a list of questions pre-planned and it generally seems quite 'unnatural', particularly when compared to the often unpredictable flow of a Michael Parkinson or Gay Byrne interview. This leaves him vulnerable, when faced with an awkward guest. When the interview deviates from the script, Pat normally falls flat on his face. His technique is second to none, when dealing with factual matters and current affairs. However, his 'celebrity' interviews never work as effectively.

Another huge problem with the current Late Late, is the set. It looks cold, pretentious and uninviting, lacking the quality and prestige of the mid to late '90s Gay Byrne set. Removing the huge desk (completely Kenny's idea) was, in my opinion a ridiculous mistake. Having the desk and keeping several guests present throughout the two hours was part of what made the Late Late different and added to its unpredictability. If Pat Kenny really couldn't deal with that established format, he really shouldn't have taken on the job.

The constant competitions annoy me too. As soon as I see one, I switch over. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I'm just not interested in seeing some total stranger walk away with a brand new Renault. Fair play to them, etc, but to be honest, I couldn't give a shite. At least, Gaybo's 'one for everybody in the audience' seemed spontaneous and didn't drag out. Apart from being good PR for the sponsors, I don't really see what the competitions add to the show.
    Telif&#237 wrote: »
    He is a neutral, steady hand that guides a long, varied show. Just because British television is so personality-driven does not mean the Late Late or indeed any other production must follow suit. Fair enough, Norton or Ross play on their respective personalities and formats, but likewise the Late Late has a format of its own that is equally credible. It is a production that does not depend on format, irony or comedy to get by – it features guests in a largely neutral fashion. This is something to be promoted, not derided. Pat may be somewhat in the background, but that’s the nature of the programme.

I don't think many people compare the Late Late with its British counterparts. It had a format of its own for thirty-seven years, until the presenter retired and the entire format sadly retired with him. Unfortunately for Kenny, people are always going to compare his show with Byrne's. And for the extremely vast majority, Gaybo's show was streets ahead. The current show is characterless and not worthy of its prestigious name. To be fair, it's not just Pat - the entire format is wooden.

I don't know what the answer is. For the moment, there really is nobody suitable to take over from Kenny. Miriam O'Callaghan is a great presenter, and should be left to do Prime Time. When interviewing celebrities, she can come across as being surprisingly crass ("So, Cecelia... How much have you earned so far?"). I don't think she has the right balance for the variety of the Late Late. RTÉ Golden Boy, Ryan Tubridy will get the job... eventually. I think he needs a couple of years to become an established radio presenter and shed his 'anti-trendy' image. The whole 'young fogey' thing is just pathetic. He has the potential, but needs to become more rounded. I predict he'll be fronting the Late Late by the end of the decade.

In the meantime, Pat Kenny will continue to amble along, carried by the show's reputation, ensuring a sufficient number of viewers. For all his faults (and there are many), I think he's currently the best man for the job. RTÉ need to groom his successor carefully though. They can't afford to let the show get any worse than it presently is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Reeling In The Years - top class.
    Other Voices - excellent.
    Question and Answers - very, very good.
    RTE News is also quite good. Beats the tabloid Sky News anyday.
    Play It Again Des - pretty interesting when you have a decent interviewee on.

And then as someone also said they get quite a good few American shows in before Channel 4 etc. which IS quite impressive. You can't really deny the fact that what they DO make is usually made very well. Perhaps more homegrown stuff for the younger non-current affairsy / non political crowd.

A 15 to 1 style quiz would be great! Just a simple quiz, nothing crazy like they always seem to do like par example - having to answer the current question with the last question backwards and say missippiii three times instead of a buzzer :rolleyes: What a quiz really needs is a good strong host, like William G. Stewart, you gotta have respect for him, even if he did seem like an arsehole at times. Or Jeremy Paxman - there's gotta be an Irish version of him out there (no not Kevin Myers!)

Bryan Dobson? He's too nice though, everyone likes him too much :)

Hi Ray, couldn't agree more with everything you say, it's nice to see a calm, informed post on this issue on the internet for once (though everything thus far on this thread has been also I hasten to add).

Agreed Kenny is the best person for the job as things stand; the problems that he has are not unique to him - whoever takes over next is going to have a fault somewhere too. Only Gay, as a global-standard broadcaster can sail through such a production almost flawlessly (though of course he had 'issues' too)

Pat's lies in his stilted formats and to a degree with celebrities (some of them can be surprisingly good). It is without doubt his insistence on following a sketched out interview that is most frustrating - it is at times astounding how he 'moves on' to another topic so crudely, or ignores guests' responses to keep the interview going.

Most evident in his insistence with celebrities in going through from the slums of poverty and early childhood, through to growing up, through to 'getting the big break', through to what they're doing now and how they cope with the fame, have they bought themselves anything nice, then 'what do you think of all this You're a Star formatting', through to "what's your next project?" and then "thanks very much for joining us". The same standard routine every time - he really ought to vary things.

I have the dubious honour of having seen every single Late Late Show for the past 7 years (with the exception of one :(), as well as many years of Kenny Live, and can say even now that I still don't get Pat Kenny. Sometimes he's great, other times he's woeful, and sometimes downright strange. Even last night if you saw it, for some strange reason following the Rossport 5 item, closing it he suddenly just cut off, waved his hand at the people on stage saying thanks for joining us, then mumbled to himself looking down at the floor or his notes, mumbling that that was the end of Part Three and didn't even look at the camera! Even if he was short on time, he still just acted like he wasn't even on television!
    He gets these most bizarre curt dismissive turns the very odd time that are very strange and come across badly.
    I think it happens if he gets distracted by something else.

I cannot agree more about the set too. From what I can gather the entire country's jaws dropped when they saw the 'new look' in Sept of 2003 in response to Dunphy. Tackorama or what.

They made a desperate effort over that summer to tart the show up and make it 'all modrin like'. They hauled in a batch load of perspex 'cause that's what they use in cool nightclubs and stuff' and suspended them about the studio.
    The fact that they were on a tight budget given the size of Studio 4 made things all the worse. All of the platform flooring was skimped on in the extreme, whilst the performance area was chucked nothing but a few scraps of plastic to be pawned off as 'cutting edge'.

All of the grandeur and 'establishedness' of Gay's 1995 yellow-panelled set was replaced with a nice streamlined look in 1999 for Pat, but this was scrapped in response to Dunphy, and RTÉ management who were putting huge pressure on the show that summer to jazz things up.

And so when Dunphy came on from the Helix I think everyone agreed that that set with carpets and natural timbers etc was just fabulous and warm and inviting - all vox-pops of people's opinions at the time mentioned it - whilst the Late Late returned with something one would expect from 1980s Russian television. It is truly ghastly - especially the performance area, it really just beggars belief.

The cables that hang the set are visible stretched everywhere, the floor is covered in scuffmarks, there are cables sprawling everywhere, all the scratches on the various set units are blatantly apparent, the set has absolutely no cohesion, coherence or distinctive identity, there's no form to it at all, the use of the direction style whereby all the cameras are deliberately in shot during performances is deeply naff, lazy and unprofessional, the jib-arm camera shots are so appalling it beggars belief, as is the fast paced and desperately-trying-to-focus camera style which is completely unsuited to live television - it only works when the many mistakes can be edited out later.

The audience element is by far the worst - nothing but hard crude lighting blasted down from above that lights EVERyTHING, from the grotty scraped handrails and seating, to the black cyclorama curtains slung around the studio, to the strings holding up the ghastly 'The Late Late Show' sign at the back, to exit signs, to the concrete walls of the studio evident through gaps in the curtains - I mean it's just unbelievable!!
    Yet if you watch the first of Pat's Late Lates (directed by Niamh White) the old set looks just fabulous, and the studio lovely and muted with the sparkling starlights all about, and the audience set pieces lit in pink and blue etc.
    The current look and direction (by Patrick Cowap) is a disaster - the values have sunk through the floor, and they always get more and more lazy as the season progresses.

At this stage Pat is too far gone to change his bad habits, but certainly the production values have to improve. Likewise is a greater amount of debate badly needed which is absolutely essential - this has all but disappeared from the show in the past 6 years and is scandalous. Pat is great at debate, so hopefully the new producer this year Larry Masterson will improve on this. This is what always made the Late Late, and what would make it even more nowadays where there is no debate on television at all! The Late Late was practically invented for this, yet the previous producers (not Pat to be fair) just insisted on turning the show into visual radio with 18 minute celebrity interviews - often for entire shows!
    As Liam Fay was writing five years ago now, there is no debate on the Late Late Show despite there never being so much to talk about in Ireland today.

Don't know about the competitions being a bad thing Ray - suppose the postal ones get a bit tedious, but the phone calls at the end make for fantastic television - you can't deny that!
    And everyone secretly loves Pat's guess-the-beans quizzes! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Fair enough Telefis. You have strong opinions on Pat, which is fair enough, but it just seems that anytime I watch a full program of the late late, there is always some time through the program where I cringe because of an awkward question, or a question that makes the guest uncomfortable. I think much of the slagging of Pat is over the top, but I do think that there is a probably unjustified sleazy aura about him. I'd excuse it as it may be a manifestation of him trying to place his guest at ease. He just doesnt come accross as natural, it is as if he has learnt how to become a chat show host from a book, and technically is decent (well researched as has been mentioned) but hasnt really captured what makes a good one - I suppose an effortless ease with guests. You probably think he has. No biggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I can't agree with what you say about Pat
    Anyone that writes up such a long post defending Pat Kenny basically *is* Pat Kenny. Telefis, my contention still stands, you *are* Pat Kenny! Admit it!

Pat's alright, but not suited for light-entertainment. It would be like Jeremy Paxman doing a chat-show.

Unfortunately, RTE sat on it's lazy-arse for so long in terms of bringing up new talent when Gaybo was there that Pat was the only contender for the job. Says a lot, doesn't it?

Save for the fact that we have to bung them €127 annually for the privilege of owning a television, RTE have become an irrelevance in daily Irish life and their plummeting TV and Radio ratings back that up.

Post Celtic-Tiger, we've all raised our game with the exception of RTE.

• Advertisement

Oh please - television ratings in general on RTÉ have been increasing over the past two years. Radio is certainly going through a bad patch, but it is time for an overhaul across the board at this stage anyway - RTÉ radio is still formatted to the 1970s.

Morgans I do not think he has an effortless ease with guests :). He's 'effective' shall we say for the most part, but certainly is not a natural with all guests. Believe me I cringe as much as anyone at his stupid comments or cock-ups (not least because I am of course Mr Kenny himself :)) - Bob Geldof anyone?

Essentially it's just annoying when you hear constant constant unfair criticisim - a lot justified yes, but equally a lot is not.

I do hope he finishes the show at 60 and does a couple of years of some decent television current affairs before he retires - as much as one may say the Late Late is wasted on Pat, much worse is how Pat is wasted on the Late Late.
    I'd be great to see him behind a desk again - just it'd be a difficult climb-down from the Late Late.
    If ever he did do anything else it would have to be 'invented' for him, with him as the 'lead' - perhaps a Sunday night review/debate programme of some description.

Agreed Kenny is the best person for the job as things stand; the problems that he has are not unique to him - whoever takes over next is going to have a fault somewhere too. Only Gay, as a global-standard broadcaster can sail through such a production almost flawlessly (though of course he had 'issues' too)

I think Gay Byrne had even more 'moments' than Pat Kenny. Remember the time he rang a woman during a car competition, told her she didn't sound very happy, only for her to reply, "My daughter was killed in an accident yesterday"? The big difference of course, was that Gay could handle such awkward situations impeccably, even turning them around to his advantage at times. Pat on the other hand, just freezes, making his entire audience cringe. He's undoubtedly a great presenter, but the truth is, the Late Late just wasn't made for him. I'm sure he knows that himself though.
    Even last night if you saw it, for some strange reason following the Rossport 5 item, closing it he suddenly just cut off, waved his hand at the people on stage saying thanks for joining us, then mumbled to himself looking down at the floor or his notes, mumbling that that was the end of Part Three and didn't even look at the camera! Even if he was short on time, he still just acted like he wasn't even on television!

I noticed that and was very disturbed. I presume he had a producer shouting in his ear-piece or something. Regardless, after handling the Rossport 5 issue excellently (as he always does, with debates), it was a dreadful, unprofessional ending. I suppose Gaybo had the advantage of being his own producer and didn't need to worry about such issues as over-running or being late for a commercial break. Still though, Pat looked like an amateur.
    Likewise is a greater amount of debate badly needed which is absolutely essential - this has all but disappeared from the show in the past 6 years and is scandalous. Pat is great at debate, so hopefully the new producer this year Larry Masterson will improve on this. This is what always made the Late Late, and what would make it even more nowadays where there is no debate on television at all!

I agree. With regard to debate, I think Pat Kenny is vastly superior to Gay Byrne. He remains entirely balanced throughout, always doing his best to give both sides their turn. I'm sure next week's show will see some good debate though, with Saint Eddie Hobbs making his inevitable appearance.

I think Pat should definitely retire at 60ish. John Bowman will most likely retire from Q&A around the same time, and I think Pat would make an ideal presenter. Prime Time would be seen as a step backwards, because he worked on its predecessor, Today Tonight for so many years. He has all the qualities required for Questions and Answers though, and would probably bring a sizeable audience along with him. By this stage, Tubridy will probably be ready to step up to the Late Late.
    Save for the fact that we have to bung them €127 annually for the privilege of owning a television, RTE have become an irrelevance in daily Irish life and their plummeting TV and Radio ratings back that up.

With respect, I think that's absolute nonsense. Yes, RTÉ's ratings dropped back during the late '90s, but that's an inevitable result of the greater choice available nowadays. BBC and ITV experienced the same decrease in their own ratings. RTÉ One is still the most watched television channel in this country. When it's passed out by the competition, I might agree with your argument that RTÉ has become an irrelevance. It's not perfect, but it's by far the best we've got. Just compare it with TV3...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think Gay Byrne had even more 'moments' than Pat Kenny. Remember the time he rang a woman during a car competition, told her she didn't sound very happy, only for her to reply, "My daughter was killed in an accident yesterday"?

I have to say I remember people talking about that and saying how well Pat handeled it. Generally Pat handels his true life stories excellent one of the good things about Pat kenny on Kenny Live something that Gay and others could never to was to empathise.
    Save for the fact that we have to bung them €127 annually for the privilege of owning a television, RTE have become an irrelevance in daily Irish life and their plummeting TV and Radio ratings back that up

Yes I have to Disagree with this also. RTE Radio over the four radio channels is catering for a wide audience, I will agree that RADIO One needs a big shake up.

I don't see very much relevants in the Local Indepented Radio Stations that it competes with, NewsTalk being the only relevant radio station and doing a better job of it then TODAY FM.

Agreed - the increase in channels and the distractions of the Celtic Tiger turned people off television on a wider scale, not just RTÉ, but they've started coming back over the past two years, AND to the detriment of the BBC and ITV - RTÉ is gaining ground over even these.

Fully agreed about Gay and debate, indeed only last night I was trying to think about how Gay would be handlingt the Rossport piece if he was there - and came to the immediate conclusion of not nearly as well :)
    Likewise he just didn't have the current affirs clout that Pat does.
    The only flaw of Pat in debate I find is that he doesn't let people on stage directly respond to people in the audience - notable last year especially with the Muslim 'extremists' on stage - he let people in the audience rant their heads of and get applause etc, yet didn't let them respond. Not only is it unfair, it allows the viewer to lose out on potentially fantastic television.

That's an interesting idea about Q&A - he'd be perfect! Whilst Bowman is superb in his own way, he doesn't quite have the clout and media-savyness of Pat.
    If that audience was increased to 200 instead of a pathetic 60, given some decent funding including a proper set, and some potent guests invited, it could be a fantatsic show for Pat.

As for when Pat gets distracted, I don't understand it beacuse he doesn't have an ear-piece! Just a floor manager who stands to the right of his camera indicating etc (that's why you often see him glance away to see how much time he's left)
    But not having an earpiece makes things so much easier, yet he still gets these bizarre ignorant turns! Very strange....I mean how can you not know how curt and ignorant it comes across to close an item like that considering the effort he puts in all the rest of the time?

Really though - Q&A is a great idea, what a perfect format.

By the way, did you see Nora last night - "and what about your husband - he's dead".
    *Stunned silence* :D

Again people will be criticising him for that, despite it blatently being the researcher's fault when finding out details about them beforehand.

As for when Pat gets distracted, I don't understand it beacuse he doesn't have an ear-piece! Just a floor manager who stands to the right of his camera indicating etc (that's why you often see him glance away to see how much time he's left)
    Why don't they just plug something into his data port?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

What about "The man who called Mo Mowlam... my wife!" ??

Seriously, I didn't intend to pick on Pat Kenny. Rather, I chose him as representative of what I consider to be RTE's most serious failings. They're still relying on the same "Personalities" and formats that they did thirty years ago... And while I'll concede some of the good stuff others have brought up (Podge and Rodge, The Panel) I genuinely do believe that RTE has got to make a better effort to stop slipping further into smug decay. "Well, we did it for thirty years, and nobody's sent us letterbombs yet. It must work!"

They're still relying on the same "Personalities" and formats that they did thirty years ago...
    The auld UCD/Opus Dei sources must be drying up for them. They'll be recruitiung people from TCD next, shock horror.

The auld UCD/Opus Dei sources must be drying up for them. They'll be recruitiung people from TCD next, shock horror.

What, like Joe Duffy?

:cool:

heheheh :D

WHAT?? - a Protestant in Montrose??!
    Over Cathal Goan's dead body!!!

*thumps table in emphasis*

*rubs chin* hmmmmm....

Regarding Joe Duffy, there's always an exception to the rule.

• Advertisement

WHAT?? - a Protestant in Montrose??!

I find this remake totally offencive to Northern Irish Nationalist. And think it should be removed. It's not funny and in bad taste.

IMO Cathal Goan is having a hard time shaking thinks up in RTE, it is unfortunate since he did such a good job in TG4.

Ah come on Elmo - the remark was made in the spirit of that by-now ancient quip about GASP! having a Protestant on The Late Late Show - it's a well-worn one from Gay's 1980s LL, no offence is intended.

I think Goan, and indeed the organisation overall is only now getting a decent grasp on what can be done with RTÉ's new-found (relative) wealth.
    Already we are seeing a substantial increase in young people's programming - the next few years will see probably quite a few shifts in the nature of output from RTÉ One.
    Things are slowly changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Tomohawk wrote:
    I'll never forget RTE for showing David Lynch's "Twin Peaks" on a monday night after the 9.00pm news for what seemed like years... ;) how strange!!

ran for 29 weeks

the title of this thread is ludicrous

RTE have done many quality shows

Inside
    The Spike
    Murphy's Micro Quiz-M
    Bracken
    Extra Extra
    Leave It To Mrs O'Brien
    The End
    @last tv
    TV GaGa
    Anything Goes
    Wanderly Wagon
    Youngline
    Fortycoats
    Dilin O Deamhas
    Lug
    Baile Beag
    Quicksilver
    Access Community Television
    Rapid Roulette
    Mailbag
    Play The Game
    Feach
    Landmark
    Hands
    Patterns
    Today Tonight
    Cross Country Quiz
    Trom Agus Eadrom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    the title of this thread is ludicrous

RTE have done many quality shows

and "pure mule" is not one of them! :(

Velcrow wrote:
    and "pure mule" is not one of them! :(

Pure Mule is an appalling title. On those grounds alone it deserves criticism.
    Caught a few minutes and it looked dire.

I though Pure Mule was alright. It started with a bad episode, I don't think I would have started the show of with the sadest character in the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I can't believe the praise PK is getting on this after watching the Late Late repeat again, You can some him up by saying the only reason PK is there is cos they can't think of anyone better?

he has no guts no incisiviness no attack for current affairs, he is infact pat.

in the other sense of the word

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    RTE have done many quality shows...
    Quicksilver
    Quicksilver?! Were you on some state-alterning susbstance when watching it to include it in your list of best shows?

"I'll stop the lights at 10p Bunny!"

"Hitler's first name was...Heil"

Quicksilver made Albanian state TV look slick and had all the production values of a pub quiz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Leave it to Mrs. O'Brien..LOL, and not for the reasons the writers intended.

Still, I'd love them to show them again, preferable at about 2am where people out of their heads could watch it. It might be funny then.

• Advertisement

Quicksilver?! Were you on some state-alterning susbstance when watching it to include it in your list of best shows?

It was made in the 1970's, most 1970's shows look that bad.
    "I'll stop the lights at 10p Bunny!"

Of all the place in Ireland where do you think that Stop the Lights becomes a catch phrase and slag but DUBLIN, how ironic. IMO

I would actuall like to see them do a new version of that show (I have never see it, my mam goes on about it alot)

Lame joke coming

I mean it had a bunny in a car :rolleyes:

I think i was a script writer for Leave it to Mrs O'Brien in a previous live.

newgrange wrote:
    Leave it to Mrs. O'Brien..LOL, and not for the reasons the writers intended.

Still, I'd love them to show them again, preferable at about 2am where people out of their heads could watch it. It might be funny then.
    Nah, the funniest thing Brendan O'Carroll ever did was try to start an airline. They should replay the numerous free-PR slots he had on the Late Late stating how he'd change the face of travel in Ireland forever.

Priceless.

Elmo wrote:
    Of all the place in Ireland where do you think that Stop the Lights becomes a catch phrase and slag but DUBLIN, how ironic. IMO

I would actuall like to see them do a new version of that show (I have never see it, my mam goes on about it alot)
    They have, it's called Rip-Off-Republic with Eddie Hobbs.

*immatates heavy Cork accent* "Iiiiiiiiiioo'll stop the lights at €2.94 for that pack of nappies Bertie ya Lhang!".

Forget the show, I think Brendan O'Carroll should be the first Irishman in space. Shame we can't afford a rocket, but still, I don't see that as an obstacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

decided to resurrect this rather than start another thread on the late late. Telefis puts up a well argued defence of Pat Kenny's broadcasting skills earlier in this thread, but having watched the late late again the best praise that I can give him is that if he is best person for RTE's flagship then it is a sorry reflection on the state of the national broadcaster.

Pat for the most part is out of touch with those who he interviews, regularly makes little cracks which no one laughs at, his pregnant but happy when discussing St john's wort with the GP in the audience being a case in point.

Worst of all was when Fintan O'Toole was arguing with the other journalist about hte influx of foreigners, and while he ran out of time in the middle of interesting and heated argument, just on the brink of getting personal, that was unfortunate. But then go to the audience and ask the crowd, who won the argument (I cant remember the first journalist's name) small cheer, Fintan o'Toole, larger cheer. It was something that would be above Ant and Dec. I'm sure that both journalists were delighted to be put to a mob vote. A disgrace.

And anyone associated with the fake quizzes that I've seen them partake in to win a car on the Late Late, where the real (and only) winner is brought up and takes part in a loaded quiz. Essentially a made a fool of on national television, where they believe they are being unfairly treated by having tough questions asked of them, should be fired on the spot. The person who devise d the quiz, Pat Kenny for presenting it. I just wish the winner had enough balls to tell them to shove their car up their hole. The worst piece of television that I have ever seen. I hate Gay Byrne more than Kenny, (condescending egotistical, thought he had far more influence in the well being of the country than he had) but he wouldnt have allowed any such nonsense on the program. Indefensible in my book.

As much as I dislike Gay Byrne personally, he was the consummate professional and the best broadcaster of his generation.

People only have this debate about Pat Kenny because Gay Byrne set a pretty high standard on the Late Late Show in the first place. Remember that Gaybo also acted as producer of the Late Late and had a tight reign on the format of the show.

RTE were always a very conservative organisation, and that, coupled with the fact that they were lucky to have Gay Byrne in the first place, meant that they sat on their collective arse when developing new talent. Anyone worth their salt in broadcasting had fecked off to the UK long since.

As mentioned by previous posters, Kenny was quite good on programmes of a more serious/political nature, however Mr. Saturday Night he most definitely is not.

For years RTE groomed him towards having a more casual image, but ultimately forgot to remove the plank from his arse. Remember also how they disastrously tried to ease in Joe Duffy into Gaybo’s radio duties.

I think we’re all agreed that Gaybo is an impossible act to follow.

However, that does not excuse our national broadcaster for this weekly train-wreck of a programme.

Personally I only watch it every week in the same way that some people go to mass every week; in the vain hope of some ultimate salvation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Kenny can be truly cringeworthy to watch, but then sometimes he makes a wise crack that is very witty and neither guest nor audience get it and the tumbleweed rolls by.

That 'debate' on friday night was horrendously 'moderated' by Kenny. Interestingly I find him excellent on radio.

Agreed murphaph re his (allbethey rare) quips - they can be quite hilarious and/or insightful.

And this is the major problem I have with Kenny - he is so inconsistent. On some occasions he can really shine, and often at times you don't expect like when talking to a 'celebrity' or whatever. He can come across as engaging, witty and professional.
    On other occasions he is the pits - making ridiculous comments or remarks, or not directing an interview or debate in a fashion that the audience wants it to go.
    His quip about Deirdre O'Kane's baby crying in the background was cringe-inducing!
    He never seems to get the fact that if the audience has just applauded, the silence after it is deadlier than most as everyone is now paying attention, and this is where he often throws in his silly comments making them come across even worse!

I agree with you 100% Morgans about the O'Toole debate - this above all is the very worst aspect of the Late Late - they cut out just as things are getting good, it is infuriating.
    Either they run out of time that blatantly could have been predicted earlier - e.g. the Rossport Five, or something unexpected happens that merits extra time but they cut out regardless. It is disgraceful.
    And I know pretty much for a fact that this is quite deliberate in a way. After Gay's Late Late finished it was prioritised that the new Late Late become more modern, up-to-date and efficient and we all know the obvious results of that: the new set, 'cool' camerawork and all the rest of it.
    But also slipped in in the changes was the introduction of a ruthless Kenny Live efficiency - all interviews must not over-run, all music acts must come in on time, all debates must be regulated, pre-planned and timed to the minute.
    And above all, whatever about the timing within the show, the Late Late Show as a production must not over-run by more than five minutes.
    There seems to have been a deliberate intervention either by senior RTÉ management or Presentation directors that the Late Late must not be old-fashioned and rambling like Gay's, often running till midnight, but rather must come in on time.

On so many occasions the Late Late's (few) debates over the past six years have been destroyed by time constraints. Gay was given the freedom to let things loose, Pat is not and this is the difference. It was nothing short of scandalous from a television production perspective that the O'Toole debate had to be cut short so the show could finish with its 5-8 minute over-run period. And not only this, the phone-call at the end for a prize worth €40,000 was slashed out!, probably the most entertaining part of the Late Late Show - again just to come in on time! Absolutely scandalous.

It is Presentation's JOB to cater for over-runs in programmes. It is part of studio crews' JOB on the Late Late to go with the flow and stay on longer if required. This is the nature of live topical television.

It is scandalous that the licence-paying public are deprived of decent television in the case of red-hot debate, because the production 'has to come in on time' or 'Presentation want to go home'. Why can the show not go on until 11.45-50 if required? What is the point in cutting off television just as it is getting good, so that the late news bulletin and a crappy film can kick in on cue?

The Late Late is the last programme most people watch before turning off on Fridays - it's not as if there's a Premiership match or world golf tournament coming on next!
    It is a joke.

And fully agreed again about Pat turning to the audience and asking who 'won'. As with the last time he was on, that journalist had scorn poured on him by the audience - and again because he didn't have time to expand on his points. The ever-populist O'Toole had the stage to himself because he has the wit to turn limited time to his advantage.
    The other guy did not have time to speak and so came the worse off. But just as they started spitting fury, the debate cut off :rolleyes:
    (Exactly what happens on Prime Time too incidentally)

The Late Late is in a position to shift the time goalposts as required - RTÉ acknowledging its flagship status and the potential (allbeit rare) for television gold, ought to give it free reign to do as it pleases. These time contraints MUST go.

As fort he quiz you speak of Morgans - have to say I and the people I was with all thought it quite hilarious when we found out that she was in fact the winner all along!
    Thought it was a very good piece of television. But saying that, the second time they did it was just pathetic. You do it once, then forget about it - don't go flogging it to death and make fools of people in the process.
    The first time around was acceptable because it made the audience feel equally stupid so everyone was in it together and it worked really well!

Overall Friday's Late Late was not good - the O'Toole debate was the potential gem amongst the dirt which made it all the more infuriating that it was cut off.
    That 'dating' segment with Karl (?) was the most boring, pointless, directionless piece of sh*te on televison I have seen in a long time.
    This was blatantly the result of researchers - they hoped it would turn out funny, and fancy that, it didn't.
    The Pat Late Late team have a habit of producing these weird items - featuring people in the audience that you're not sure if you're supposed to know or not, or if they're ordinary audience members or planted people, or are representatives from somewhere. All essentially being fat-headed, self-inflated bullsh*tters.
    One or two of these items crops up every few months.

The O'Kane interview was equally hum drum - more her fault than Pat's I think, she just wasn't entertaining - not at her best.

The medicine slot was alright - Pat made some very astute observations and questions, but again it was cut off just as things were getting going with that (annoying :)) woman in the audience getting feisty :)

Pat was surprisingly natural and casual with the bike at the start and especially at the end I thought - the ending was very well shot and assembled :)
    Again an example of how good he can be I think, but this contrasted with his stilted interview with O'Kane - why is he so inconsistent?

The performance by the two French men was the funniest piece of television - this is where the Late Late as a platform for this kind of thing can really shine.
    Those puppets were just hilarious - have to watch them again on Monday night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah, the Honda 50 at the end was very casual and natural looking. He's definitely no stranger to two wheels.

Overall Friday's Late Late was not good - the O'Toole debate was the potential gem amongst the dirt which made it all the more infuriating that it was cut off.

Why is that guy Mark Dooley (surname?) always on the late late. He is the most ignorant f cker in Ireland. In his last outting he was total out witted by that English Jornalist who had actually been too Iraq.

He has a problem actually looking into the camera or at anyone on the panel. He was just staring out into the audience, with an "I am right you are wrong" attitude. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

He had an article in the sunday indo about how every one is so full of themselves. On the next page he had a big picture of himself posing. :rolleyes: Perhaps he was making a point :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Back on again, now on RTE1 starting with 1964:)

is_that_so wrote:
    Back on again, now on RTE1 starting with 1964:)
    MOD EDIT: No warez discussions allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

does anybody remember a programme in the 80s called THE PRICE
    something to do with a kidnapping ,very good at the time

hiscan wrote:
    does anybody remember a programme in the 80s called THE PRICE
    something to do with a kidnapping ,very good at the time

Yes!

It was a joint RTE / Channel 4 production which ran for six episodes - transmitted in 1985.

It was quite violent and I remember continuity announcer warnings re: 'violent scenes - not suitable for children'.

Mailbag got a string of letters complaining about it - especially in respect of the scene showing the severed figure was posted to the husband.

RTE have had some great dramas throughout the years - very few of which have been repeated and none released on DVD. If it was BBC or ITV we would have seen a DVD release by now.

Why do RTE disown / hate their archive programmes so much?

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    It was a joint RTE / Channel 4 production which ran for six episodes - transmitted in 1985.

Was that the one where they had a twin-rotor Chinook done up in garda livery?
    nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Why do RTE disown / hate their archive programmes so much?

The reasons can be manifold. One reason can be rights clearance. For example, the BBC had to pull the release of the Shoestring DVD box set from release last Christmas because they couldn't clear a lot of the background music that was being played in certain scenes. It's the same reason RTE can't release a Realing in the Years DVD.

Secondly, a lot of the older series pre 1985 were shot on poorer quality film and video media and look a bit naff to our HD Plasma adjusted eyes.

Thirdly, it's RTE. They wiped a lot of stuff from the 70's (I'm surprised the could cobble together that Wanderly Wagon DVD from the scraps they had left).

For example, the BBC had to pull the release of the Shoestring DVD box set from release last Christmas because they couldn't clear a lot of the background music that was being played in certain scenes. It's the same reason RTE can't release a Realing in the Years DVD.

I'm aware of that which is a common problem. The region 1 release of Quantum Leap Season 2 had several music substitutions due to Universal Playback's unwillingness to pay for the use of the original songs. The region 2 release rectified this. With Reeling In The Years the costs would be prohibitive and as the music is an integral component, an attempt to water it down would be pointless.
    With other series it is not uncommon to see 'for contractual reasons, certain music edits have been made' on the VHS/DVD sleeve.
    Secondly, a lot of the older series pre 1985 were shot on poorer quality film and video media and look a bit naff to our HD Plasma adjusted eyes.

I have purchased many DVD series released by Network. www.networkdvd.co.uk.
    Till Death Us Do Part, The Sweeney, Public Eye, Strange Report, Special Branch, Man In A Suitcase, Gideon's Way, Sykes, The Baron, Thriller etc

They specialise in archive series - a lot of which were shot on videotape. Ultimately the programme quality wins out, not how it looks.
    Thirdly, it's RTE. They wiped a lot of stuff from the 70's (I'm surprised the could cobble together that Wanderly Wagon DVD from the scraps they had left).

As early as 1976 RTE's childrens department were given strict orders not to wipe any more children's programmes. The 'Wanderly Wagon wiped' myth is not correct although the episodes on the DVD seem to date from 1979 / 1980. Their aim was to build up a sufficient reserve of episodes that could be repeated over the course of one year. They archived this with Bosco and all episodes pretty much survive. Quite a bit of their live/studio broadcast stuff has been junked though (e.g. Anything Goes etc)

RTE are sitting on a pretty good archive but seem to be unaware or are just getting to grips with what they have. An Irish Public Information Films DVD set would be a welcome release (water safety, fires, electricity, road accidents, St Vincent de Paul etc) but when I wrote to them about it they said that the respective films were not their property but were owned by the relevant body i.e. Health Education Bureau etc. All can be viewed in the IFI Archive regardless. In the UK they have brought out Charley Says Volumes 1 and 2 which contain many PIFs that would be familiar to Irish viewers who grew up watching BBC and ITV. It's just £6.99 delivered from Play

• Advertisement

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    RTE are sitting on a pretty good archive but seem to be unaware or are just getting to grips with what they have.
    Not only video, but audio too. It must be a complete treasure-trove.

We only got the chance to listen to the complete Ulysses recordings properly when released on CD/MP3 two years ago - the original programme was broadcast on crappy ol' MW only back in 1982.

I think they should set up a small commercial division dedicated to re-releasing/packaging some of their more interesting archeive material for the mass market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

It's on tonight at 8:30 on RTE1.. 1976 - the year when Ireland sweltered in a three-month heatwave and President Cearbhall O'Dalaigh resigned.

I also heard (on another forum) that RTE's anti-junking stance stretched to the insert films for Bosco - all of these still exist.

It appears that other departments weren't so enlightened and stuff from the Late Late Show etc. is still missing into the early 1980s.

Live stuff is even worse and the only footage of Dempsey's Den / The Den until around 1993 is amateur VHS off-airs recorded by a fan of the show. Thankfully, he was so religious in his taping that the complete series exists. ;)

Live stuff is even worse and the only footage of Dempsey's Den / The Den until around 1993 is amateur VHS off-airs recorded by a fan of the show. Thankfully, he was so religious in his taping that the complete series exists.

Ah! just release it on DVD anyway.

Also RTE did a big clean up with there archive and RTE Two where showing some of those shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

In no particular order:

Reeling in the Years
    The Clinic
    Bachelors Walk

&

Father Ted, (oh, no, wait...... forget that one ;o) )

• Advertisement
Advertisement