Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Down the Country...

• 27-08-2005 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭

On well trip to Cork last week one thing in particular struck me. All of the Junk food seems to be cheaper... Has anyone else noticed this?

On one occasian I bought a 99 ice-cream cone and a regular size mars bar for only 1.10 euros... :eek:

Also in another shop I got a king size and a regular size snickers together for only 1.55...

How is this possible? Are we being ripped off in Dublin or what?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

kawaii wrote:
    On well trip to Cork last week one thing in particular struck me. All of the Junk food seems to be cheaper... Has anyone else noticed this?

On one occasian I bought a 99 ice-cream cone and a regular size mars bar for only 1.10 euros... :eek:

Also in another shop I got a king size and a regular size snickers together for only 1.55...

How is this possible? Are we being ripped off in Dublin or what?

yup rip off is right i used to work in a centra and they charged €2.55 for a bottle of 2ltr coke WTF! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

I’m sick of the prices in Dublin; we’re all being ripped off every day, and it's only going to get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

But why/how are they cheaper in the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

The cost of shop rent is surely less down there and so forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

But wouldn't transport costs and whatnot be greater?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

kawaii wrote:
    But wouldn't transport costs and whatnot be greater?

Maybe but they wouldn't amount to what Dublin rental costs are I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Some of the prices of stuff in dublin is a rip off compared to down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Tune into Eddie Hobbs folks on Rip off Republic Monday nights on RTE 1 after the news. Its an interesting watch, and yes, we folks are getting ripped off, maybe those in Dublin more so, but in the republic in general prices are a heck of alot higher that that of other EU coutries sadly enough.... Why?.... That, I'm still trying to understand.

yup rip off is right i used to work in a centra and they charged €2.55 for a bottle of 2ltr coke WTF! :eek:

It all down to competition, and clever marketing on Coca-Cola's part (keep in mind I'm currently an employee of Coca-Cola... for the summer). You should look out for the promotions. Its gas really, people will sadly enough just pick up 1 bottle of coke, and buy it, but what you need to realise is its cheaper to get a twin pack, or indeed we(sorry, habit... I mean Coke) are now doing on offer on the 2lt Coke range, buy 3 for €3.50) Coke believe it or not is made quite cheaply, however they'll charge high on singles, and less on twin, or treble packs, why???, cos they can, for profit, and besides in the long term these promotions will generate greater income, as people think they are getting a bargain. Its not just Coke who do it, so don't start knocking them. Coffee companies do it with different sized jars (the bigger working out at the better value for money, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

speaking of this... t'was sooo funny today.. walked into centra and saw a 500ml btl f coke was €1.35 and the 1.25ltr was €1.65... then i walkede to the 2ltr botles and it was €1.50 for a 2ltr bottle!

• Advertisement

speaking of this... t'was sooo funny today.. walked into centra and saw a 500ml btl f coke was €1.35 and the 1.25ltr was €1.65... then i walkede to the 2ltr botles and it was €1.50 for a 2ltr bottle!
    Correct, that would be the promotion on Fanta and Sprite 2 lt bottles. they are currently slash priced at €1.50. Cheap ok.... Now folks, there's a man that keeps an eye out for the bargains.

Oh, just to add, some of the stores are doing this on there own back including most if not all the Coke range at just €1.50. Again, its all down to marketing, and demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

*sings* "Centra, for the way we live today"

...considering we live in Rip Off Ireland, that is.

Centra...Spar...they might as well just go the whole hog and give their staff a gun and make them wear black stockings over their heads.

Dublin is OK if you know where to go - 2L Pepsi is €1.29 at Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Before the euro changeover everything used to be the same price all over Ireland. Now it's all screwed up.

Advertisement