Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possesion of Used Cartridges/Cases Illegal?

Options
  • 27-08-2005 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Has anyone heard of this pending court case? the worlds gone mad!!

copied from LRPC website

From: linuxman52000 (Original Message) Sent: 2005/08/26 03:38
    Hi folks,
    Just to let you all know again, i'm in Bray District Court at 11:00 on 2nd Sept. charged with the illegal posession of ammunition for which i didn't have a licence. This ammunition is a collection of empty cases of assorted calibres collected on the MRC range. I understand that a collegue of mine is to be charged with the same crime. I think this is about more than my collegue & I, it seems to be another attempt by the gardai to stop the sport. I am therefore asking for the support of any shooters who can maybe be in Bray Court on the 2nd & demonstrate that we are not prepared to take this.
    Looking forward to maybe seing some of you on the day.

http://groups.msn.com/TheLeinsterRiflePistolClub/general.msnw?action=get_message&mview=1&ID_Message=421

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah I have followed his posts. Its crazy and hopefully the judge see's it that way. Im not sure what the cops are at in this case. An awfull lot of people have used cases they have either collected or bought. I have a big .5" including a recoved head lying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

Just for a pointer;if you do collect cases it is worth drilling a hole thru both sides of the case with a small drill bit.It is then deactivated,but wether this has any legal standing here is another thing.Still it might prove that you were not intending to have "working" ammo components
    Sounds to me like another "lets go and bother the ligit shooters" syndrome again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Was it that he had a license for a differant calibre gun than the ones he collected or no license at all?
    I would like to think there is a bit of sense in there , that gardai might be thinking he wants to reload them ( :confused: ) but a collection of differant calibres would require quite a large and expensive collection of reloading equipment. Or have maybe they have something else in mind.
    The gardai have been acting kinda strang like that of late. There is a man who live down the road from us who is a gun smith. He is getting on a bit but is still and excellant gunsmith (my father has had work done by him on several occassions) and he has been in the business for many, many years. He also worked with the Gardai , helping to look for suspicious people and what not which makes it hard to believe that they turn up one night and forcifly raid his workshop and take him in for not having the neccessary trading license. I know that that is what the gardai are suppose to do but why did they wait for the first 20 years of his career , why did they forcifly raid him when the knew hiim and cooperated with him and for that reason why didn't they just notify him and allow him to odtain such a permit through the normal channels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Well from my reading of the LR&PC page linuxman52000 has been reloading his own rifle.They raided his house and are charging him for posession of the empty caseings of various calibers. Sounds to me like they are out to get him and cannt charge him with reloading as its not a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Well, linuxman52000's case was supposed to have come before the court 15 minutes ago.
    Is anyone in a position to let us know how things go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

heard it was adjourned....no more details yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I know of one house that has a fine collection of brass right up to 105mm.

Its on military property though. :D

Advertisement