Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't laugh at me, I'm a total amateur to this..

• 27-08-2005 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Right, here's my situation... I am soon to be of legal driving age, and I have saved €5,000 to purchase my first car.

I'm sorry to bother you busy people with my time, but my family are hopeless here, so I need some proper help.

There is a '66 Austin Healey Sprite for sale nearby for €2,000. It's in good condition and I can afford it grand.

My question is about classic car insurance. Can someone my age be insured on an old car?, or, can one of my parents insure themselves with me in the policy? And if so... How much are we talking? I'd estimate being able to spend up to €2,000 on insurance...

PLEASE help me out here, I'm helpless with the useless people I live with...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

You won't be able to insure a car as a classic until you're 25. Insurance companies struggle to insure anything over 15 years old as primary car. I don't think you'll be able to insure this car.

I imagine your folks could insure it and name you on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for.

Approx. how much would that be, though, if say my parent insured me on the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How long is a length of string? If your parents have clean history full NCB etc then I'm sure it will be within your budget easily enough. I'd be more worried about buying a 2 grand Sprite! Thats the kind of money one would pay for a "project" example. ie long winter evenings in the garage!

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/midgetspriteclub/

http://www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_16382.html

http://www.ahsdc.org/

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Go for an old Mini or an MG Midget maybe. I reckon you'd get one for under 5k in good nick. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

AFAIK, classic insurance is only available to people over 25 - be it policyholder or named driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

For a good classic car you will be paying good money, so I’d be careful on your purchase.
    Don’t know if this helps you out but if you buy a car that’s over 12 years old up the north then you wont have to pay VRT When registering it down here.
    But regardless of what you buy, make sure a mechanic checks it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

_Turismo4 wrote:
    if you buy a car that’s over 12 years old up the north then you wont have to pay VRT When registering it down here.

Excuse me :eek: Is that true? can you explain more about it - I never knew that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats new to me and if it were true everyone would know by now and NI would'nt have any decent 2nd hand cars left!

VRT rules

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Hibernian should be able to quote you on a car that old - give them a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

_Turismo4 wrote:
    .......if you buy a car that’s over 12 years old up the north then you wont have to pay VRT When registering it down here.

Rubbish!

Only vehicles over 30 yrs old, tractors and large commercial vehicles are exempt from VRT !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hey md99,

Is this the car you're looking at?

If so I'd seriously advise getting a mechanic to give it a look over. Do you have any more pics or info about it?

If one of your folks is looking for classic cover try First Ireland. I've two named drivers on my policy from them.

Best o' luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Hey md99,

Is this the car you're looking at?

If so I'd seriously advise getting a mechanic to give it a look over. Do you have any more pics or info about it?

If one of your folks is looking for classic cover try First Ireland. I've two named drivers on my policy from them.

Best o' luck!

Yes, that's the car

I will get a mechanic to look at it, but the seller sounded sincere enough about it on the phone.

First Ireland you say? Are either named driver U-25?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

md99 wrote:
    First Ireland you say? Are either named driver U-25?
    'Fraid not - my two older brothers in their 30's.

But ya never know your luck.

Advertisement