Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Broadband is it worth it?

• 27-08-2005 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Am thinking of getting the 1Mbps service from AVCbroadband. However since I will still need my dialup connection I'm wondering whether it's worth it. Mainly what I'm wondering is how long it would take to download say a 400MB file on average using Limewire or another program given the queues and download speed.

Thanks for any help,
    Pete.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

can you not get a two way satellite broadband job ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if you are doing anything latency based i.e gaming stay away that's all i'll say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

I had satellite broadband until i was able to get real broadband.
    Most people who tell you to avoid satellite have actually never had it.
    My conclusion after a few months using it is that its not as good as real broadband but way way way better than dialup.

I can't stress enough what a leap it is in quality from dialup.

Ok your uploads arent any faster but your downloads and surfing are no different to real broadband.

You cant play games or use voice apps, you still need your own phone line but thats no different to dialup anyway.

You can try avcbroadbands £15 per month service with 256Kbs down for a month and see what you think. Even that is light years ahead of dialup. Then you can upgrade the speed to a more expensive package if you feel the need.

look up avcbroadband and you ca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Perhaps the thing to consider is that unless you live in the darkest corner of nowhere, there will probably be a proper broadband alternative available in the near future so don't go spending massive amounts of money on satellite gear as it's probably only a short term solution.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Blaster99 wrote:
    ...unless you live in the darkest corner of nowhere...
    ...like Afghanistan, say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭BlueShaun

Blaster99 wrote:
    Perhaps the thing to consider is that unless you live in the darkest corner of nowhere, there will probably be a proper broadband alternative available in the near future so don't go spending massive amounts of money on satellite gear as it's probably only a short term solution.

you mean like outside the pale, or the other outposts?

where i live(a village of about 600 people) the eircom schedule which i believe runs to end 2007 (GBS sabotage not included) does not even support registering expressions of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

i live in a town of a few thousand people and we dont have any other choices other than satellite i live in south east limerick and i wouldnt consider it a dark corner in the middle of nowere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

I live about 5 miles from Swords and couldnt get broadband.
    Eventually was able to get BB via a wireless provider.

Go for the satellite. I dont know anyone who has gone for it and regretted it. Its so much better than what you have.
    Anyway, if you get the monthly pay as you go package you can cancel it with no notice as soon as you dont need it anymore.

Your downloads will be exactly the same speed as a similar speed BB connection.
    But your uploads will be dialup speed for one-way sat. Which is not a problem for browsing and downloading at all.

BIG TIP : DONT GET SATELLITE BB FROM ANY IRISH PROVIDER - RIP-OFFS
    go for one of the ones mentioned in boards like avc or skydsl. I'm sure there are other options too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

try skydsl i get 1mbps with 1gb download every month for €16.90 i a have to dial-up still but as another poster said don't condemn it until you actually try it, i find it perfect for my needs although i had to defer buying an ipod because of its lack of p2p i planned to buy an ipod and use a program called ares to download my music however as sat broadband don't support p2p i am waiting until dsl becomes available within the next 6 months. Satellite is no good with voip or online gaming either however it is perfect for everything else. With my service you set it to download your favourite web pages "offline" without dialing-up you could set it to say download whatever page at say 7pm or 5am or whatever. These are the best service i found and are the by far the cheapest. Other provider are actually in a few cases only re-selling skydsl for profit. Go direct and save the mulla.

Is there any discount on the phone bill or is it a free phone number you connect to ? It would be a bit of a sickener having to pay for the call as well.

• Advertisement

i see skyDSL is offering download speeds of 16,000 kbps. How fast is this exactly?

is the the same k measurement that you use on the modem when downloading a file form the internet ?

16,000kbps =2mbps which is very fast for satellite

http://www.mediaroad.com/products/speedcheck/free_tools/
    16,000 kbps its a 2mb line. Very fast indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

2MB(yte) line.

Wouldnt mind downloading from that type of connection...large files would fly!!!

what is the story with using the phone line to connect then ? do you have to pay for it seperately ? That would be an awful balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

jubbly wrote:
    what is the story with using the phone line to connect then ? do you have to pay for it seperately ? That would be an awful balls

Yes unfortunatly you have to pay for all dial-up costs. I am on Eircoms flat rate 25 package which give 25 off peak hours every month for €9.99 a month. If you have got big internet bills say of a hundred a month or more, 2 way satellite broadband from the likes of digiweb would more suit i think theirs is €99 a month but it costs over a grand to install and set-up i believe. If you were thinking about this or you have huge internet bills. It would be better getting a community project going to get a group and county scheme going instead of paying through the nose. Where abouts are you btw ?

could someone tell me what are the broadband providers in hospital co.limerick ive been trying to find them for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

From DCMNR website County and Group Broadband Scheme

Limerick - Hospital & Knocklong - Ildana Teoranta - Satellite

http://www.ildana.net/

jbkenn

Im holding out for Wireless, an engineer is coming thursday to check out the site. I cant see any basestation but its worth a shot. Failiing that its the Satellite. Expensive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

oscarBravo wrote:
    ...like Afghanistan, say.

Or Mayo! :D

• Advertisement

ricey wrote:
    Or Mayo! :D
    Considering Inishturk is in the process of setting up a broadband network without having to resort to a satellite connection: nope.

jbkenn wrote:
    From DCMNR website County and Group Broadband Scheme

Limerick - Hospital & Knocklong - Ildana Teoranta - Satellite

http://www.ildana.net/

jbkenn
    thanks for the help mate
    i guess ill just wait for wireless (who knows how long that could take)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmo16

Try http://www.europeonline.com/ They have many packages lots of info on the site

1 year Europe Online E-DSL Service + Satellite Dish 80 cm + Universal Single LNB + DVB PCI Card
    299 € plus postage and packing

One year of Europe Online E-DSL Service includes :
    500 MB of EOL FastSurf at speeds up to 512 Kbit/s every month !
    1 GB of downloads from the Internet every month with File Fetch, plus 1000's of free selected softwares, films, MP3's & games at 2 Mbit/s speed - Guaranteed !
    Music television, Sport, Film, Adult, Eurotip at 512 Kbit/s speed - Unlimited Access!
    Unlimited access to our DSL Digital Library, our Interactive MediaThek and our
    E-Lert service
    1 free film every month, & much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

emmo16 wrote:
    Try http://www.europeonline.com/ They have many packages lots of info on the site

1 year Europe Online E-DSL Service + Satellite Dish 80 cm + Universal Single LNB + DVB PCI Card
    299 € plus postage and packing

One year of Europe Online E-DSL Service includes :
    500 MB of EOL FastSurf at speeds up to 512 Kbit/s every month !
    1 GB of downloads from the Internet every month with File Fetch, plus 1000's of free selected softwares, films, MP3's & games at 2 Mbit/s speed - Guaranteed !
    Music television, Sport, Film, Adult, Eurotip at 512 Kbit/s speed - Unlimited Access!
    Unlimited access to our DSL Digital Library, our Interactive MediaThek and our
    E-Lert service
    1 free film every month, & much more.

That looks pretty good!!!

Has anyone here got this package and what do they think of it???

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭arikv

Cremo wrote:
    if you are doing anything latency based i.e gaming stay away that's all i'll say.

Cremo means that there's delay in sat conn. so it's bad for online gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

are vpn connections possible over satellite broadbands??

p2kone wrote:
    are vpn connections possible over satellite broadbands??
    In theory, yes. In practice, the quality of a VPN connection seems to vary from crap to non-existent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

so vpn's a nono

the likes of remote desktop and pc anywhere are ok??

No personal experience, but given the latency I'd imagine it's pretty awful - you're talking about the guts of a second between a keystroke or mouse action and the visual feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Just to give a bit of personal experience here.
    Our office in Limerick has DSL from Eircom.
    Our office in Wicklow has two way satellite from Aramiska. (no LOS for anything else and allegedly too far from the exchange for DSL.)
    Don't even think about getting Satellite if you are doing anything except downloading large files or surfing pages.
    VPN is useless.
    VNC is useless.
    PC Anywhere is unusable unless you are used to moving your mouse at a rate of millimetres per second.
    VOIP is like using walkie-talkies. After every sentence you will have to say 'Over' then wait for 3 seconds before the person on the other side starts responding.
    And as for ssh connections all I can say is, it is possible to make a cup of coffee while waiting for a response from a simple ls -la command :(
    So my advise is, stay far far away from a satellite connection.

Advertisement