Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Footballers MIA ?

• 27-08-2005 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Lads whatever happened to these bright irish soccer stars of the future :

Stephen McPhail
    Ritchie Partridge &
    Liam George

A few years ago there would have been a lot of hype about them but where are they now? Also, speaking on Irish players can Bolton's Kevin Nolan qualify for Ireland, i heard before that he has an Irish gran but not much else on the matter. He would make a great partner for Keane, er..i mean in a football sense btw!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nolan isnt abile to play for ireland anymore.
    there was some sort of amnisty by fifa but only for a small period of time.
    Chris macken took advantage but nolan didnt.
    McPhail plays League 1 football, Psrtridge is playing with Sheffield Wed. in the championship and to be honest Ive never even heard of liam gorge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Liam George was with pats 2 seasons ago , went to a non league club.

Others as seaneh posted.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

who is McPhail playing for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Barnsley I think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not that you asked, but it seems as Ronnie 'Man of the Millenium' O'Brien is making a real go if it in the MLS and is hoping to get citizenship next year in the hope of playing for the US.
    Should that come to pass, would that be the first time an Irish player defected?

• Advertisement

Kevin Gallen, former QPR striker. Me thinks he played a few times underage for Ireland but then declared himself for England. I think he got a B-Cap with England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Lads whatever happened to these bright irish soccer stars of the future :

Stephen McPhail
    Ritchie Partridge &
    Liam George

A few years ago there would have been a lot of hype about them but where are they now? Also, speaking on Irish players can Bolton's Kevin Nolan qualify for Ireland, i heard before that he has an Irish gran but not much else on the matter. He would make a great partner for Keane, er..i mean in a football sense btw!

Put a big F in there for Stephen.

Ritchie Partridge was plaged with injuries at liverpool AFAIK and went to sheffied united.

Kevin Nolan, who wants him ?

Who wants Kevin Kilbane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jubbly wrote:
    Put a big F in there for Stephen.

Ritchie Partridge was plaged with injuries at liverpool AFAIK and went to sheffied united.

Kevin Nolan, who wants him ?

no, he went to wednesday, as seaneh mentioned already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

i meant wednesday ><

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

shame about mcphail he had a sweet left boot but never seemed to take off. partridge i didnt really know too well and my only memory of liam george was back in days of brian kerr managing the young lads.

yeah same here with regards Liam George, remember thinking himself and colin hawkin where for the future...

yeah same here with regards Liam George, remember thinking himself and colin hawkin where for the future...

i see you have taken a break from the heat of the "affordable web designer thread"!

hawkins is class. surprised he didnt make it in england.

i see you have taken a break from the heat of the "affordable web designer thread"!

jesus yeah! lol, some of those guys will keep at for ever!
    Yeah, i remember St Pats put a 1,000,000 pound price tag on him a few years ago after his youth team sucsess. Shame it didn't go better for him. I think he might have spent a season in the conference but i might be wrong. Another guy who was meant to be the next big thing is Eamonn Zayhed, i think he moved from Coventry to Bray. There are so many thou, i have a feeling that Liam Miller could follow the long line of misfortunate young players, although maybe not as dramatically. He lives down the road from me, himself and colin healy. It be nice for them to have some success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Is Colin Healy back from that horrific injury yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

partridge scored the winner for wednesday at the weekend i think! gooo on richie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

VinnyL wrote:
    partridge scored the winner for wednesday at the weekend i think! gooo on richie!

I wished!!!! 0-0 draw with QPR.....Partridge was playing thou!!

Is Colin Healy back from that horrific injury yet?

nope, he has broken his leg in the same place twice, Safri busted him originally about 2 years ago now, and then he broke down during a reserve match and the leg practically snapped on him. I doubt we'll see him play this season anyway, i'm not sure on his progress thou. I hope he comes back better than ever, he looked very compentant whenever he played for Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

richie scored to make it two one in extra time during last week against stockport, think thats what vinny was referring to.

He also played v QPR on friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

Yeah, i remember St Pats put a 1,000,000 pound price tag on him a few years ago after his youth team sucsess. Shame it didn't go better for him. I think he might have spent a season in the conference but i might be wrong. Another guy who was meant to be the next big thing is Eamonn Zayhed, i think he moved from Coventry to Bray.

Colin Hawkins played at Doncaster Rovers.
    Eamonn Zayed trained with with NY/NJ Metrostars recently (I think he scored in a friendly). I heard he could have went but decided to stay at Bray because he's going to college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Not that you asked, but it seems as Ronnie 'Man of the Millenium' O'Brien is making a real go if it in the MLS and is hoping to get citizenship next year in the hope of playing for the US.
    Should that come to pass, would that be the first time an Irish player defected?
    Kevin Gallen, former QPR striker. Me thinks he played a few times underage for Ireland but then declared himself for England. I think he got a B-Cap with England

Noel Whelan is another , I remember the concern that was shown when he declared for England and then went on to score in a B international against Ireland in early 1995.
    Thank God nothing came of him like Gallen.

zayed has just signed for a norwegian premier division team on an eight month loan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

actually... thats eight week loan...

whoops sorry my mistake, didnt see the other thread either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Hawkins played for Doncaster but the manager who signed him got sacked and the new man signed two centre halfs without ever seing hawkins, who hadn't offically signed until the new man came in. As a result he got played in mid field or right back and never got a proper chance. He could easily have progressed with a proper chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Graham Barrett just moved to Livingstone. Coventry apparently told him to find somewhere new this summer. Let's hope he gets on well up there.

Advertisement