Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Ideal Chelsea team

• 27-08-2005 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

SO what is your ideal Chelsea team,
    Would you pick bridge over Del Horno,
    Let Huth into Centre Back?
    Which wingers would ou put on top?

My team is

................................Cech
    ................Ferreira Carvallho Terry Del Horno

................................Makelele

................S.W. Philips Essien Lampard Duff

_____________________Crespo

Subs
    Cudicini
    Gallas
    Robben
    Gudjohnsen
    Drogba

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I'd go

Cech
    Gallas
    Bridge
    Terry
    Carvallho

Duff
    Wright-Philips
    Lampard
    Mackalle

Gudjohnsen
    Crespo

I wouldn't rate Del Horno/Essein/Drogba cuz they haven't proved themselfs in the premier league yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

You would put Gallas ahead of Del Horno? crazy

Sandals wrote:
    You would put Gallas ahead of Del Horno? crazy

Yes, Gallas has about 6 years of Premiership experience, Del Horno has 2 games to his name. Off course i'll put Gallas in ahead of him. The first time i saw Del Horno in action was today on the Premiership RTE. Why would i put him in over Gallas? Cuz chelsea paid over the odds for him so he must be good is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yes, Gallas has about 6 years of Premiership experience, Del Horno has 2 games to his name. Off course i'll put Gallas in ahead of him. The first time i saw Del Horno in action was today on the Premiership RTE. Why would i put him in over Gallas? Cuz chelsea paid over the odds for him so he must be good is it?
    Del Horno is a natural left-back. It's not as if the Premiership is the only league in the world, he did play in La Liga remember.
    Gallas is not a natural left-back, nor is he naturally left-footed, nor is he in the least bit happy playing at left-back.

yes but i have bridge at left back and gallas at right, i think bridge is one of the best left backs in the world and i rate gallas very highly. I know Del Horno has a reputation from Spain, but i haven't seen too much of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

On present form.

Cech

Ferreria Gallas Terry Del Horno

Essien Maka Lamps

SWP Crespo Duff

Didier's control has much improved, I just think Crespo gets into better postions and is more clever, but Drogs has got 2 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anyone else noticed now that Essien is playing, Makelele has been given permission to more forward a bit more.
    Essien seems to be taking over the Makelele role, albeit poorly based on the last game, and Makelele seems to have a bit of a lienence to move forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

PHB wrote:
    Anyone else noticed now that Essien is playing, Makelele has been given permission to more forward a bit more.
    Essien seems to be taking over the Makelele role, albeit poorly based on the last game, and Makelele seems to have a bit of a lienence to move forward

Agreed I thought that Essien had a howler yesterday against Spurs. I don't think that I could leave Robben out of my Chelsea starting 11 , he's such a quality player, hasn't been doing the biz lately but he's just such a great winger.

..............................................Cech
    .............................Ferrara Gallas JT Del Horno

...........................................Makalele
    .............................SWP........Lampard........ Robben
    ..................................Duff
    .................................................Crespo

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

My ideal Chelsea team would have SWP in goal, Duff at centre-back, Drogba up front and Terry in the stands. I'd also have the ref swap over to the other team :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:

thats the reason he was bought, to take over from makelele when he gets too old for it. He will get to play along side him now and learn from him which be a huge bonus. Alex ferguson should of done the same about last year, or even this year. oh no....how could i forget..... alan smith is going to be the next roy keane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I wouldn't rate Del Horno/Essein/Drogba cuz they haven't proved themselfs in the premier league yet

how has Carvallho proved himself? surely if your basing your team on premiership experience Ferreria would be right back and Gallas partner terry?

How can you split gallas and terry up when they have a better defense record then terry and carballho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Id have

Cech
    Ferrara
    Terry
    Gallas
    Del Horno
    Phillips
    Duff
    Maekele
    Lampard
    Essien
    Crepo

how has Carvallho proved himself? surely if your basing your team on premiership experience Ferreria would be right back and Gallas partner terry?

How can you split gallas and terry up when they have a better defense record then terry and carballho?

Relax Man, i'm sure they'll see each other at weekends! And anyways thats my ideal chelsea team, just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fergmcd

My would be

Cech
    Ferrara
    Terry
    Gallas
    Del Horno
    Robben
    Maekele
    Lampard
    Essien
    Duff
    Drogba

Although Crespo is a great player Drogba has more of an edge to him and i can really see him being up there in the top scorers this season.As for the rest they pick theirselves in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Cech

---Fereira
    Terry
    Carvalho
    Delhorno

---Duff
    Lampard
    Essien
    Robben

ShaunWright-Phillips

Crespo

With SWP and duff swapping from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

AngelofFire...no makalele,thats abit odd seeing as he was one of the cornerstones of the team that did so well last year

personally i would have to go for the 4-3-3 with

Cech

Ferrara---Terry---Carvahlo---Bridge

Makalele

Lampard
    Gudjohnsen--

--SWP
    Duff--

Crespo

im not sure on Essien just yet and a big price tag is no guarentee on a players skill so ill stick with Gudjohnsen, his touch and vision is quality and his tackling is getting stronger as it will need to be if he sees himself as a midfielder in the system

On the pre/early season form i would actually have put Tiago in there but he signed for Lyon to get more games in the world cup year which is understandable.
    When there was the transfer arguements with Lyon over Essien ,and Lyon stating that they wanted cash + a player for Essien i cant help but think that it must have been tiago they wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Agreed Gileadi not sure at all about Essien, looks like Smith could handle him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Cech

Ferraria---Terry---Gallas--Del Horno

Makelele

Lampard
    Essien--

--SWP
    Duff--

Drogba

The reason I pick Drogba up front is that he fits the current chelsea system much better then crespo. If Morunhio were to play 4-4-2 I would have both Drogba and Crespo upfront and drop Wright-Phillips (Push Essien out to the right).

Every team would have to have Makelele, Terry, Cech and Lampard.

Gallas and Terry have conceded far fewer goals as a defensive pairing then the Carvalho and Terry pairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

its true that overall they conceded less with gallas and terry but i would prefer to see a breakdown of the teams that they played with that pairing in comparison to carvalho/terry pairing before im fully convinced that its the better combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Gileadi wrote:
    its true that overall they conceded less with gallas and terry but i would prefer to see a breakdown of the teams that they played with that pairing in comparison to carvalho/terry pairing before im fully convinced that its the better combo
    Exactly. While their record is no doubt, pretty amazing, stats can be seriously misleading at times.

For example, whenever Gallas and Terry would have played together in the centre its obvious that there was someone to play LB, someone who actually is a LB (Bridge/Del Horno). Where as for the most part of last year when Carvalho and Terry were CB, Gallas was used as a makeshift LB. Perhaps he was the one being exposed (with the sole intention on making his and Terrys record look better ;) )?

Also it was Carvalho and Terry that were at the heart of the defence for the bigger games last year which they conceeded more goals in (Bayern/Barca etc). No shame there either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

For example, whenever Gallas and Terry would have played together in the centre its obvious that there was someone to play LB, someone who actually is a LB (Bridge/Del Horno). Where as for the most part of last year when Carvalho and Terry were CB, Gallas was used as a makeshift LB.
    Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Exactly. While their record is no doubt, pretty amazing, stats can be seriously misleading at times.

For example, whenever Gallas and Terry would have played together in the centre its obvious that there was someone to play LB, someone who actually is a LB (Bridge/Del Horno). Where as for the most part of last year when Carvalho and Terry were CB, Gallas was used as a makeshift LB. Perhaps he was the one being exposed (with the sole intention on making his and Terrys record look better ;) )?

Also it was Carvalho and Terry that were at the heart of the defence for the bigger games last year which they conceeded more goals in (Bayern/Barca etc). No shame there either.
    Well, then it makes sense that when the left backs are fit then gallas plays, not carvalho which means that mourinho picks gallas ahead of carvalho when del horno/bridge are fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Gangsta wrote:
    Well, then it makes sense that when the left backs are fit then gallas plays, not carvalho which means that mourinho picks gallas ahead of carvalho when del horno/bridge are fit.
    The only problem with that is that the games in which Bridge was fit to play last year, the CB pairing was generally Carvalho and Terry if they were fit.

The first game of this year it was Gallas and Terry (trying to keep Gallas sweet after he stated his disatisfaction playing LB last year) and then Carvalho complained, not surprising we havnt seen him since.

Im not stating for fact which combination is better, Im just pointing out that stats can be misleading and there a lot of other qualitative factors that must be considered.

Advertisement