Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

google broadband

• 27-08-2005 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Ok Ive never heard of this but someone i know told me topday that google are bringing broadband to ireland,is this true in any way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Who is this someone? I've not heard about it and I can't see a logical reason why they would want to try and enter the Irish Internet market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's probably a bad case of chinese whispers.

they probably were talking about googletalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

My sentiments exactly , a major case of BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

what a daft thread. not a chance amgio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

thats exactly what i was thinking,whats this google talk?is it voip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Its an IM client that supports voice chatting. See here: http://www.google.com/talk/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Actually the OP is right to some extent, in that there's been a rumour doing the rounds for months that Google has been looking into doing a wireless ISP. These rumours are usually generated by pathetic souls with nothing better to do with their time than watch Google's recruitment website. So when they take on operating system engineers they're going to release an OS that will compete with Windows, instead of maybe, just maybe, looking for people to tweak the custom operating systems they run on the hundreds of thousands of machines in their datacenters.

In other words it might be true, it might not, we won't know until they release a beta. However it seems unlikely. Very unlikely.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

dahamsta wrote:
    In other words it might be true, it might not, we won't know until they release a beta. However it seems unlikely. Very unlikely.
    They bought a company that was setting up wireless access points around san francisco.

Fairly likely.

Weren't they just setting up hotspots though?

dahamsta wrote:
    Weren't they just setting up hotspots though?
    Well get enough of them and you have an isp thats in every shopping mall or gas station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

Well get enough of them and you have an isp thats in every shopping mall or gas station.

that'll be the future.. its gonna be hackers Paradise 10x over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Or indeed shopping centers and petrol stations (we're not the 51st state yet, at least I hope not ;)

degsie wrote:
    Or indeed shopping centers and petrol stations (we're not the 51st state yet, at least I hope not ;)
    No but they're starting it in the us- i was talking about the us- so i used the local lingo.

You're going to go to a shopping mall or gas station every time you want to get on the Internet? :)

dahamsta wrote:
    You're going to go to a shopping mall or gas station every time you want to get on the Internet? :)
    No, but while i'm there i'll go on google internet. My 2nd ISP. And while i'm there i'll check google maps for any nice restraunts in the area. Check out when the next movie is starting at the cinema accross the street. And while i'm looking at the showtimes on google i can see theres an ad (adwords) saying the cinema around the corner is doing a 2-for-1 seat deal. Brilliant.

You lack vision dahamsta!

Nah, I lack a laptop, so I couldn't give a crap about hotspots. :)

dahamsta wrote:
    Nah, I lack a laptop, so I couldn't give a crap about hotspots. :)
    They'll have a kiosk you can use for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

degsie wrote:
    Or even shopping centres ;):p

Or even shopping centres ;):p
    Can you spell get a life? ;) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭pablo321

There is reports from the US that they are buying up large amounts of dark fibre. They would then have a big backbone for the wireless networks they are planning.

Nothing about moving it to Europe though.

Pablo

• Advertisement

pablo321 wrote:
    There is reports from the US that they are buying up large amounts of dark fibre. They would then have a big backbone for the wireless networks they are planning.
    Or the massive network they already run, at reduced cost. Sure, maybe they will roll out a wireless network, but what's the point in speculating about it? Go and blog about it somewhere.

adam

Advertisement