Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats UCC like for first years?

• 27-08-2005 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I'm starting the Physics course in UCC in a few weeks but as the time draws nearer I'm becoming more and more anxious.
    I don't know anyone going to the college and I won't have any friends in Cork city either. So it really scares me that on the first day I'll be completely lost. I suppose what I really I want to know is, is it easy enough meet people during the first few days? Are you introduced to the people in your course? And what exactly is involved in Freshers and Orientation week?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Your best bet is to just chat away to people in your class. The first few days can be quite lonely but you'll fly in making new friends in your class in no time. Try getting involoved with the mentoring programme, prob on the ucc website under student services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭tadhgrrr

best thing is to try to be as outgoing and approachable as possible, dont be afraid to chat to people ... theyre all in the same boat as yourself and are probably feeling just as nervous etc. about meeting new people in a new atmosphere. university is a great opportunity to make lots of new interesting friends from different backgrounds .
    also if youre into sports/hobbies make sure to join a sports club/ society as its there that youll meet people from other years with similar interests...and theyre ususally good craic too....im in the ultimate frisbee club, a sport i had never heard of before i came to UCC ... and ive had a great time travelling to tournaments etc with the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm starting the Physics course in UCC in a few weeks but as the time draws nearer I'm becoming more and more anxious.
    I don't know anyone going to the college and I won't have any friends in Cork city either. So it really scares me that on the first day I'll be completely lost. I suppose what I really I want to know is, is it easy enough meet people during the first few days? Are you introduced to the people in your course? And what exactly is involved in Freshers and Orientation week?

I was in the exact same position to you when I went to UCC first. I knew no one. I had a few friends in Cork but none in UCC.

The first few months are great, because most other people are in the same, or a similar, boat and will also be eager to make friends. My advice, just talk to people, you'll meet some you like and get on with. Join a society or two, or a few clubs that interest you. Excellent ways to meet people.

Believe me, making friends when you start college is not a problem. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cddc3

depends if your male of female

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

I say go with the clubs and socs. Socs day will be on the Wednesday and Clubs day on the thursday in the multi functional hall in the student centre.

Sign up to whatever takes your interest and i know walking in the door for the first meeting is scary but force yourself. You will love it!!!

When you are talking to people in your class try to get as many as you can to go to the freshers ball. I think its in the second week. Its good for a laugh and a great ice breaker for everyone.

Freshers week can be very lonely so dont expect to be doing everything. Use this time to find your way around and talk to people in your class. I guarantee that in a month you will be having the time of your life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

It doesn't matter if you sit in the corner with a hoody on scowling, you'll still have other new people, taking the advice offered by those above, who will approach you in a friendly manner.

UCC is a very relaxed university, if you can't find a building and miss a lecture - nobody cares. Freshers week afaik is when all the first years go drinking, and it is the best way to get to know the people.

Really doesnt matter if u miss a lecture. There is no roll for lectures (there are for labs/tutorials/crap). Just get the notes and catch up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

interact with as many people as you can. there are loads of solid decent people in UCC and its a great feeling to get in with a crowd of people that you get on with. obviously there are just as many muppets but hopefully you wont have anything to do with them.

do your continuous assessment as this can often bail you out from failing an exam after a year of heavy drinking and not so heavy study. its ok to miss a few lectures but take it from me that a lot of lecturers dont give out notes on paper and not attending such a lecture leaves you screwed when it comes to cramming time.

join as many clubs/socs as you can and try to go to the ones that you have an actual interest in.

ignore all the yoga club email that fills your inbox every week

i joined the gym and took up a sport. its good to have a relatively full day because it keeps you occupied, lets you interact with new people and stops you from getting bored.

other than that enjoy the wonderful world of a science degree :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

You will love first year in UCC - where are you going to live - that will make a big difference. Im in UL now and really miss UCC, brilliant atmosphere down there, I miss the Star loads, even tho i hear its gone down hill and noone really goes there anymore!

Anyway my advice would be pluck up the courage and start talking to ppl on your first day if you can, im normally shy but I just tried my best, and the ppl I met on my first day are still my best mates 5 yrs later!! good luck with it, but im sure you wont need it! also def join clubs & socs

The star will always be jammers on a thursday evening! The food there for lunch is really quiet nice.

Its true about the people that you will meet on your first day, everyone (well most people) in the class get on well with eachother but its the few people that you meet on the first day that are the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭canine

due to financial reason my daughter is travelling to and from ucc every day to the county. she has found that she is having difficulty making friends. she is doing an arts degree so class sizes are quite large and its rear to see the same person twice in class. she is quite upset to have to sit each day in the canteen for lunch on her own. does anyone have any advice other than joining the societies when you have to get the last train home each evening which leaves kind of early. she is really finding the transition quite difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭whelpy

canine wrote: »
    due to financial reason my daughter is travelling to and from ucc every day to the county. she has found that she is having difficulty making friends. she is doing an arts degree so class sizes are quite large and its rear to see the same person twice in class. she is quite upset to have to sit each day in the canteen for lunch on her own. does anyone have any advice other than joining the societies when you have to get the last train home each evening which leaves kind of early. she is really finding the transition quite difficult.

Does she attend tutorials or PAL sessions. The class sizes are normally much smaller (20-30ish).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 That180Guy

She can sit with me if she wants, I'm lonely as hell too! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

She could join boards and meet the ucc boardies... if they ever show up to a meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bartek7

Well i have pretty similar problem, i have to travel every day and i dont know many people in UCC (most people from my school went to Limerick and Dublin :mad:). If she wants i can speak with her like ;) Clubs are actually good craic, so much lough and many friendly people ;)

Advertisement