Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

crime of the century??

Options
  • 27-08-2005 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Was driving to work yesterday morning.Without getting into to much detail I was driving on the outer lane of a 2 lane road , both lanes going in the same direction (dont think its considered a dual carriageway as speed limie is 100kmp )
    I was driving at the correct speed limit (just) ,not another car in sight around me , when all of a sudden a saw this squad car pull up behind me from nowhere, flashing its sirens .
    I pulled over , garda took all my details , looked at licence and told me its an offence to drive on the outside lane as this should only be used for overtaking ?????
    I never got a ticket or anything , garda just said to produce my insurance cert in the garda station of my choice.
    As garda turned her back to go back into her sqad car I asked is there a fine or what happens next.She replies a prosectution will follow.
    Has anyone else had similar experiences ? Can I be prosecuted without being issued with a ticket , or at least being told at the time what i am being prosecuted with :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Barr wrote:
    Was driving to work yesterday morning.Without getting into to much detail I was driving on the outer lane of a 2 lane road , both lanes going in the same direction (dont think its considered a dual carriageway as speed limie is 100kmp )
    I was driving at the correct speed limit (just) ,not another car in sight around me , when all of a sudden a saw this squad car pull up behind me from nowhere, flashing its sirens .
    I pulled over , garda took all my details , looked at licence and told me its an offence to drive on the outside lane as this should only be used for overtaking ?????
    I never got a ticket or anything , garda just said to produce my insurance cert in the garda station of my choice.
    As garda turned her back to go back into her sqad car I asked is there a fine or what happens next. She replies a prosectution will follow.
    Has anyone else had similar experiences ? Can I be prosecuted without being issued with a ticket , or at least being told at the time what i am being prosecuted with :confused:

:rolleyes:

Joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

When ya get to the Joy, tell Tomo Madzer says 'hi'! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

;)
    DaveMcG wrote:
    When ya get to the Joy, tell Tomo Madzer says 'hi'! :p

I'm sure i'll be sent to a more high security facility due to the serious nature of my crime ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You shouldnt have been in the outside lane. Theres plenty of threads about people doing exactly that.

Barr wrote:
    ;)

I'm sure i'll be sent to a more high security facility due to the serious nature of my crime ;)

Indeed, they might send him to Spike Island if it ends up being rejuvinated! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

A lane hog gets done. That has just made what has been a horrific day for me a little bit more bearable.
    Barr wrote:

DUAL carriageway. There is a hint there somewhere.

Barr wrote:

All of a sudden? From nowhere? You must have been paying a gread deal of attention to your hairdo in the rearview mirror.

Barr wrote:

Rules of the road; try reading them sometime, apparently they have something to do with driving.
    Barr wrote:

Yes you can. Besides you WERE told. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Barr wrote:
    So not only have you been stopped, cautioned, explained to what the offense was, told what would happen, but you are still confused about what you are doing wrong?
    I was driving at the correct speed limit (just) ,not another car in sight around me
    So why were you in the outside lane?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Any chance you could get the name of the Guard? She deserves a bloody medal!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

In the words of Nelson Muntz:

"HA HA!"

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Barr wrote:
    I was driving on the outer lane of a 2 lane road

That lane is not for driving, only for overtaking. Hope you've learnt your lesson :)

• Advertisement

John R wrote:
    A lane hog gets done. That has just made what has been a horrific day for me a little bit more bearable.
    Would'nt really consider myself a lane hog, as if a car were to approach behind at a faster speed I would pull into the slower lane to let them pass.
    Alltho this rarely happens as I drive a supra TT, and would be faster than most cars out there even if i were pulling a trailer of lead behind me

Barr wrote:
    Would'nt really consider myself a lane hog, as if a car were to approach behind at a faster speed I would pull into the slower lane to let them pass

Well you didn't. That's why you were stopped by the Gardai. Will you please listen to us (and the Gardai)? Do not drive in the overtaking lane unless you are overtaking!
    Barr wrote:
    Alltho this rarely happens as I drive a supra TT

And you just admitted to driving at about the speed limit in the overtaking lane :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Holy lane-hoggers Batman. Why didn't we read about this one in the newspaper?
    Barr wrote:
    I was driving on the outer lane of a 2 lane road, both lanes going in the same direction (dont think its considered a dual carriageway as speed limie is 100kmp )

I think a theory test is in order. Or at least a theory lesson
    Barr wrote:

Why the question marks. Are you confused about one of the rules of driving? Maybe you should get some lessons.
    Barr wrote:
    Can I be prosecuted without being issued with a ticket , or at least being told at the time what i am being prosecuted with

eh ... see above ... the bit where she "told me its an offence to drive on the outside lane as this should only be used for overtaking"
    Barr wrote:
    Would'nt really consider myself a lane hog, as if a car were to approach behind at a faster speed I would pull into the slower lane to let them pass. Alltho this rarely happens as I drive a supra TT, and would be faster than most cars out there even if i were pulling a trailer of lead behind me

Bet you pull straight back out again on the rare occasion that you're overtaken by someone who hasn't got a towbar on his sportscar.
    ;) Nice.

Let us all know when you're called into court so we can go and see if the Garda is cute, and give her a pat on the back and recommend her for a promotion.

Seriously guys. Does anyone actually believe this nonsense? This moron has to be winding us up.

Hey Barr, is there any chance you could let us know why you were driving in the overtaking lane when there was nothing to overtake? I'd really love to get inside the head of someone who does this, just so I can see if all the wheels are turning.

I did it today on the N7 between Rathcoole and Newlands Cross for a couple of hundred metres and I felt like an idiot. The voice inside kept saying " Hey dopey, pull over, we drive on the left in this country". :D

my main point is the gardai should be investing their time and resources into more serious crime like joyriders , car theft , the majority of such is never solved
    And if they pull you over , at least let you know what exactly are they charging you with i.e , undue care attention, wreckless driving, dangerous driving ,I know what i done wrong but thats it , why not issue a ticket??, lack of funds in the department of justice budget maybe, at least make the person aware of whats happening next without having to ask them ?
    also how could one hog a lane as there was no one around to hog the lane from apart from the gaurdai who were obviously breakin da speed limit themselves to have caught up with me

DubTony wrote:
    I did it today on the N7 between Rathcoole and Newlands Cross for a couple of hundred metres :D

Fair play !!! keep trying i'm sure you will manage to get to overtake someone , someday with a bit of practice

Jesus, nothing but driving-elitists in here! :eek: Calm the hell down, folks, it's not like he was swerving in front of you -- there wasn't even anyone there to be hogging the lane from...

Yeah.

OK.

Looks like he has a friend.

Well were not all as perfect as you duntony , I'll let you get back to your intensive study of the rules of the road book , I'm sure it gets more intersting every time you read it

:D .... I'm going to bed.

Now, where's that book?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

Barr wrote:
    Would'nt really consider myself a lane hog, as if a car were to approach behind at a faster speed I would pull into the slower lane to let them pass.
    Alltho this rarely happens as I drive a supra TT, and would be faster than most cars out there even if i were pulling a trailer of lead behind me

instead of pulling out of the way when somebody comes up behind you, WHY DONT YOU JUST STAY IN THE LEFT LANE and overtake when you have to?!!?! (as youre meant to do)!!!
    Damn i hate those lane hogs . Look, if there was no cars on the left lane then what where you doing on the right lane???!. you should ahve been on the right lane.Palin and simple!!

as for the garda matter, they were just being arsey because of the car you drive, i doubt anything will be followed up on it.

DaveMcG wrote:
    there wasn't even anyone there to be hogging the lane from...

Apart from the Garda car...

Please folks, don't go into defensive mode. There is just no reason whatsoever to hog the overtaking lane. P!ss or get off the pot. It obviously doesn't matter what car you drive. Make way for the emergency services and truely superior cars!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Barr wrote:
    my main point is the gardai should be investing their time and resources into more serious crime like joyriders , car theft , the majority of such is never solved

The universal cry of the minor offender, 'sure i'm only small fry, it'd be more in their line to be out catching those who are really doing something wrong'.
    Barr wrote:
    ...there was no one around to hog the lane from apart from the gaurdai who were obviously breakin da speed limit themselves to have caught up with me

You are aware that garda cars are exempt from speed limits when they're on duty, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Barr, I don't mean to offend or anything, i'm seriously just curious...
    What is the reason you were in the overtaking lane?

And secondly, are you going to be more attentive to that rule of the road from now on?

Again, not meaning to cause any discontent, just trying to understand the bigger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

question guys. on a three lane dual carriagway, like the n7 from newlands cross to rathcoole for example, are the two inside lanes considered driving lanes and the third outside lane the overtaking lane? or something else? dont think this has been clarified in the rules of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

And what about three-lane roads with "Get in Lane" signs on them -- such as coming up to most of the M50 roundabouts ?

Are you "allowed" into the lanes then and effectively being undertaking/overtaking? I can't find anything about "Get in Lane" signs in the Rules of the Road?

I think I'm going to get the bus from now on. There are too many basic driving questions being asked here.
    preilly79 wrote:
    question guys. on a three lane dual carriagway, like the n7 from newlands cross to rathcoole for example, are the two inside lanes considered driving lanes and the third outside lane the overtaking lane? or something else? dont think this has been clarified in the rules of the road.

I think it would be best to follow the British rule in this situation. The inside lane (lane 1) is for driving. The middle lane (lane 2) is for overtaking the vehicles in lane 1. This is also the outermost lanes trucks and buses are permitted to drive in. The outside lane (lane 3) is for overtaking the vehicles in lane 2 that are overtaking the vehicles in lane 1.

That's the law. It doesn't happen that way in practice in Ireland.
    tigerbalm wrote:

And what about three-lane roads with "Get in Lane" signs on them -- such as coming up to most of the M50 roundabouts ?

Are you "allowed" into the lanes then and effectively being undertaking/overtaking? I can't find anything about "Get in Lane" signs in the Rules of the Road?

Where you are instructed to do other than above, the instructions on the signs take precedence over the general rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

I think I'm going to get the bus from now on. There are too many basic driving questions being asked here.
    How do you find time to post on the net, inbetween shining your halo? Sure get your bus then. I bet your one of those muffty`s that drive around with the lights on during the daytime. And not the fog lights either :rolleyes:

Your allowed driving in the righthand lane if your going to be turning right a short distance ahead, or if taking a right/3rd exit or more on a roundabout that will be coming up.

He`s right, the guards would be better off catching scum than trivial crap like that. Its not like hes a real hogger anyway, he wasnt 1 of them sitting in it at 45mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Before this thread runs riot a word in your shell-like, keep it civil or keep out of here.

I think Barr and a few other should invest in a copy of the Rules of the Road (and read it). It might save your ass.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Balfa wrote:
    Barr, I don't mean to offend or anything, i'm seriously just curious...What is the reason you were in the overtaking lane?
    PlayaFlow wrote:
    WHY DONT YOU JUST STAY IN THE LEFT LANE and overtake when you have to?!!?! (as youre meant to do)!!!
    So why were you in the outside lane?
    DubTony wrote:
    Hey Barr, is there any chance you could let us know why you were driving in the overtaking lane when there was nothing to overtake?
    Still no answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement