Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

14'' Alloys on a Polo?

Options
  • 28-08-2005 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I've a 98 Polo with the standard 13'' rims on it but I want to put alloys on it.

I've been offered some by a friend for cheap but I'm not sure if they will fit correctly. He had them on his 99 Megane. I'm almost sure they'll fiscally fit as they are both 4 nut but how will they effect the handling etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

A 1 inch difference is nothing, you'll be grand..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Both have same stud pattern i.e 4*100 so should be no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Excuse my ignorance but what is the stud pattern and how can you tell if there the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Make sure the offset is correct aswell. This has implications in terms af increasing the wear of components.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

dceire wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance but what is the stud pattern and how can you tell if there the same?
    The pattern of the studs that come out from the hub. Measure diagonally. However there are other factors involved, and if it was me, I think I'd rather ask a pro rather than take the word of someone on a web forum and have one of my wheels fall off while cornering.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

You can calculate the difference bigger rims'll have here: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

(Stud pattern refers to the number of bolts (studs) on a wheel and their distance from each other, if you can, check that the offset isn't too different also...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

heres a usefull site which will allow you compare what alloy will fit and conpare with other cars

http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/fitment.asp?makesearch=Volkswagen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Well I've bought them now, I test fitted one before buying and have since put them all on & all seems well. I guess well find out when I actually drive on them tomrrow.

While on the topic of alloys, dose anyone know where I might pick up 4 VW Center caps to cover the studs? He only had the two for the alloys and all I can find on ebay are the 56mm ones!

Advertisement