Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

splitting broadband between pc and laptop ?

• 28-08-2005 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hi guys i hope this post is in the right place, i have a bb modem running on my pc and my son has just bought a laptop and wants to have access to the bb also, the modem is connected by usb to the pc, how or what do i need to get a line to his laptop.
    any help is greatly appreciated,
    voyager.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

If you have an ethernet connection on your main machine (its fairly certain the laptop will have one) you could get a crossover LAN cable to connect the laptop to the main machine. Then enable Internet Connection Sharing on the main machine (Assuming Windows XP or 2000).

Other option is to go wireless :)

- lamps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Get a €20 switch and a couple of metres of Cat5e with plugs and your set.

ICS requires that the host computer is on!

Also one computer could be connected by USB and the other my the ethernet RJ45 as most routers supplied by ISP's these days has both connection for such a situation.

My fav, as I use it with 3 comps, is the ethernet/switch and a lot of Cat5e ;-).

I hope you dont have an old router that only has a USB connection as your going to need a new router or use ICS!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Go the wireless route - more expensibe but will allow your son to use the laptop anywhere in the house. If your son has just purchased the laptop it may have a wireless card already installed. Buy something like this.
    (Thats presuming you are not on NTL) Its about 100 euros in Argos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

zuma wrote:
    Also one computer could be connected by USB and the other my the ethernet RJ45 as most routers supplied by ISP's these days has both connection for such a situation.

I thought most of these were either USB or Ethernet but not both at once? After all most are not really routers they are modems.

dam099 wrote:
    I thought most of these were either USB or Ethernet but not both at once?

You can use the USB and Ethernet connection at the same time with 2 separate computers as the USB emulates an ethernet connection.
    After all most are not really routers they are modems.
    Actually none are Modems as there is no Analogue<->Digital conversion(ModulatorDemodulator) taking place.
    The word modem is only commonly used because we are used to it!

Any "modem" with a USB&Ethernet connection has a router built in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

zuma wrote:
    Actually none are Modems as there is no Analogue<->Digital conversion(ModulatorDemodulator) taking place.
    The word modem is only commonly used because we are used to it!

I don't want to be picky, but FYI, an ADSL modem does in fact have an Analogue to Digital Convereter and vice versa and as such is a modem. Of course there is a lot more going on (CODFM) then with the old dial-up modems.

bk wrote:
    I don't want to be picky, but FYI, an ADSL modem does in fact have an Analogue to Digital Convereter and vice versa and as such is a modem. Of course there is a lot more going on (CODFM) then with the old dial-up modems.

Where is the ADC??
    DSL works on the presumption that digital data does not require change into analog form and back. Digital data is transmitted to your computer directly in its original form.
    http://www.networkmagazineindia.com/200111/primer1.htm

In the process of data tx/rx no adc takes places so its not a modem!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

zuma wrote:
    Where is the ADC??

http://www.networkmagazineindia.com/200111/primer1.htm

In the process of data tx/rx no adc takes places so its not a modem!

Fundamentally, a telephone line can only carry analog sound waves, one way or the other these need to be converted to a digital format (CODFM). Certainly the whole process is far more complicated then with a regular simple modem, but the basic elements that make up a simple modem are still present in a DSL modem.

You can see a block diagram of a DSL modem here, that includes a ADC and DAC:
    http://focus.ti.com/analog/docs/blockdiagram.tsp?familyId=2&templateId=1&blockDiagramId=6042

You can find far more info about DSL modems here, with lots of info and diagrams about the ADC and DAC, which are part of the DSL modem's Analog Front End (AFE):
    http://www.commsdesign.com/main/2000/10/0010feat2.htm
    http://www.commsdesign.com/main/2000/10/0010adsl4.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Guys, guys...put the handbags down :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

hi again guys, in between ducking and diving from those handbags (only joking) i want to thank everyone for their input, i am still a bit confused by this procedure but if you dont mind i will come back and inquire more if need be.

voyager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

hello me again,
    tried both connections last night one usb and one ethernet(from 1 modem) and both seemed to work, if we decided to keep these lines on which would benefit which computer more eg, usb to the desktop and ethernet to the laptop or visa versa or does it matter at all, and is there any conflict to be looked for with my isp as regards the second connection.
    many thanks again guys,

voyager.

voyager wrote:
    hello me again,
    tried both connections last night one usb and one ethernet(from 1 modem) and both seemed to work, if we decided to keep these lines on which would benefit which computer more eg, usb to the desktop and ethernet to the laptop or visa versa or does it matter at all, and is there any conflict to be looked for with my isp as regards the second connection.
    many thanks again guys,

It shouldn't make any difference, however ethernet is generally better then USB, so which ever computer is connected the most often should use ethernet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

hello

I am expecting to get in broadband soon and I have a desktop and laptop at the moment.

I have the two computers connected via ethernet cat 5. Would it be possible to cut the cable up in the attic in half and then put two connectors on it and plug the two cables into a router and the router into the broadband connection ? Would it be hard to put connectors on ? where would you get the plastic ends ?

If this is possible I will have broadband at both machines but will I lose out on my home network which i use to share files and printers/scanner. Would it be possible to still connect to them or could i use the internet to connect to them ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

jubbly wrote:
    hello
    I have the two computers connected via ethernet cat 5. Would it be possible to cut the cable up in the attic in half and then put two connectors on it and plug the two cables into a router and the router into the broadband connection ? Would it be hard to put connectors on ? where would you get the plastic ends

Yes it is possible, not sure where you would get the ends try Peats or some of the online computer places. You would also need a crimping tool to put the ends on the computer.
    jubbly wrote:
    If this is possible I will have broadband at both machines but will I lose out on my home network which i use to share files and printers/scanner. Would it be possible to still connect to them or could i use the internet to connect to them ??

No if they are both connected to the router then your home network should be unaffected.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dam099 wrote:
    Yes it is possible, not sure where you would get the ends try Peats or some of the online computer places. You would also need a crimping tool to put the ends on the computer.

No if they are both connected to the router then your home network should be unaffected.

Are you sure about that? Is the cable from PC to router not a different type to the cable for joining two pcs directly?

dub45 wrote:
    Are you sure about that? Is the cable from PC to router not a different type to the cable for joining two pcs directly?

It would be the same cable, however the wiring into the RJ-45 plugs would be different, you can find the pinout diagrams here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA-568A

jubbly wrote:
    Would it be hard to put connectors on ? where would you get the plastic ends ?

It isn't hard, just follow the pinout diagrams in my post above.

You can get the RJ45 connectors at Maplins (Just off Henry St.), you should also get a RJ45 crimping tool, which you will need to crimp the plug (it also cuts and strips the wires):

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=4233&doy=1m9
    They probably have cheaper ones also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Thanks a million for the help !!

Advertisement