Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for Fizz @ Glenroyal

Options
  • 28-08-2005 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Guys,
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for adding some spice to Fizz. Maybe theme nights, a hypnotist, magician, bands or something else.
    Looks like there will be big changes this year, i.e free entry wednesday and thursday nights (all night), some bands during the year on wednesday nights, prizes and stuff on thursday nights. What bands would people like to see? also would people be interested in a membership scheme, with free weekend entry and or free drinks on every 5th or so entry, reckon there would be a set up fee of about 5 euro per member but as above the free stuff would more than make up for it. Any more suggestions would be welcome so post your ideas here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

fizzrep wrote:
    Guys,
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for adding some spice to Fizz. Maybe theme nights, a hypnotist, magician, bands or something else.
    Looks like there will be big changes this year, i.e free entry wednesday and thursday nights (all night), some bands during the year on wednesday nights, prizes and stuff on thursday nights. What bands would people like to see? also would people be interested in a membership scheme, with free weekend entry and or free drinks on every 5th or so entry, reckon there would be a set up fee of about 5 euro per member but as above the free stuff would more than make up for it. Any more suggestions would be welcome so post your ideas here.

do you actually work for the "g spot"? i heard that it was closing down for more renovations. if thats true about the free in on wednesdays and thursday then thats a really good idea, i dont know how ye guys kept going during last year with the roost and now bradys having a disco bar i really thought it was the end of the g spot this year. in reality the place is too small still, even though its a big improvement on the cattle mart way it used to be but there anyway people could use nancy spains as a sort of chill out area somewhere to sit and talk because during the peak days that place can be close to a health hazard(same as the roost btw so i aint just saying its you) and it would be nice to be able to go somewhere a bit quieter, yes old age is knocking on my door.

not too sure about the acts thing working, the major stumbling block last year was the entrance fee so hopefully if that goes then things will improve.

anyhow that was just my 2 cents

joe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

fizzrep wrote:
    What bands would people like to see?

BERKELEY !

I'll be forever indebted to you. I'm sure they'll be easily affordable and they're the best Irish band ever.

Good to hear about the free admission too, no more leggin it from the train station to get the before 10 o' clock stamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fizzrep

Indeed I do work for Fizz, and no there are no plans to close for renovations at present. I agree with the size issue, but there is no available space to extend the club at present. Using the old Nancy bar which is now called Saints btw, will not work due to the hotel reception being between both of them. Free entry was well overdue, better late than never. Thursday nights there will be spot prizes from now on, with a big night every 4 weeks, I Pods etc as prizes, well that is the plan, it's up to managemnet to release the funds. There are some theme nights planned aswell, ER night is one and some big Christmas thing also planned.
    With regards to Berkeley, we will look into that proposal.
    If there are any more suggestions please post them here and we'll keep you informed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Go with the live music and get some decent bands, its a huge gap for your indie crowd- just don't over price it. Berkeley would be a great scoop, they've a new album out Oct-ish and would prob be up for gigs. Other notables - Turn, 8Ball, both with new albums out or on the way.
    The Immediate
    '10 past 7'
    v/formation
    Rulers of the Planet
    Fred
    The Chalets - doubt you'll get these now but you never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Lower the prices. Remember: you're based in a student town and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that students will go wherever's cheapest.
    Pints should be no more than E3.50 and entry no more than E7. Get some decent indie bands playing as well.
    I live beside the place and haven't been there in well over a year and I have no intention of going anytime soon either. Plus the music needs to be sorted out. It's total cack for the most part.

• Advertisement

Nimrod,
    Read the posts, enrty will be free on Wednesdays and Thursdays, aimed at the students. Drinks as yet have not been changed, prices remain the same, but there are some alternatives been looked into.
    Please explain in what way you think the music is "cack", then we may be able to change something, at present I have no idea what your talking about.
    Lordgoat,
    We are currently in contactwith some bands in relation to Wednesday nights, will keep ye informed.
    Keep the suggestions coming, but please explain what you think needs to be changed aswell, saying the music in cack is no help, explain what you mean, i.e. you don't like RnB, Pop, Dance or Rock, and what you would suggest instead.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Lilly81

do you really work for the glen? sounds like you do so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

anyway, the dj is my big issue. i don't know if there's more than one but anytime i went there the guy playing wasn't great and he's very rude (asked him to play a song once and was told to f off)
    any plans for new dj's?

Lilly,
    I do indeed work for the Glen. As a matter of interest what night would it have been that the incident happened? 1 of the DJ's has been changed, not sure if its the one in question. PM me with a description if you can remember and I'll check into it. What was your biggest problem with the DJ, kind of music player or bad mixing?
    Guys, cheers for all the feedback, with your help maybe we can make changes for the better.

there was a very good DJ in brady's over the summer. he used to play in the roost too. his name is john. does he play in fizz? really like the music he plays.

the music the other DJ played wasn't the best...i'm no expert but i think more dance music should be played than all pop?

i really hope the free on wed and thurs thing works for you, the only thing putting me off going to fizz was the price so maybe more people will go now. i think you should advertise it more?

by the way, how much will it still be on fri and saturday nights? thanks.

Rep type person,

Basicaly i like alternative/indie/rock music, so i'd olny go to say a night where the music would suit my tastes, ideally you can hire me and i'll dj, and have a wonderful time, i've never done it but i have been on radio if that counts.
    Back to the topic, if you were to get a decent band and then run a DJ that keeps the music in line with the band that just played it would make more sense obciously, think whelans in dublin, or the village to a lesser extent.

At present the music there is boring and 'cack' as in if it was on the radio, it would be turned off, bad music boring dj, same stuff played every night, whats in the charts mixed in with 'classics' - doesn't do anything for me personally, and unless there were huge changes brought in i would be loath to go back there.

Also just a question, if/when you do get live band where are they going to play? and what kind of a sound desk have you set up? as far as i know that dj box won't cater for a live set up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

lordgoat wrote:
    Basicaly i like alternative/indie/rock music, so i'd olny go to say a night where the music would suit my tastes
    Maynooth is too small of a town to cater for the alternative/indie/rock crowd. I really don't see many being too bothered about seeing some obscure local bands play.

You're probably best of sticking with the r'n'b and dance music that people can actually dance to. Might be nice if the DJ's canned the 'classics', sick to death of hearing clapped out 90's dance music and Sweet Child of Mine. The Roost does this all the time, the place empties as everyone heads over to Brady's to escape the tripe.

Free entry for poor students on a Wednesday and Thursday night is loooooong overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Maynooth is too small of a town to cater for the alternative/indie/rock crowd. I really don't see many being too bothered about seeing some obscure local bands play.

im sorry - but i have lived in maynooth for the past five years and i think you are so wrong its almost comical! i can't even find the words to back up my statement because anything i think is so goddamn obvious it pains me to put it into words... :eek:

im sorry - but i have lived in maynooth for the past five years and i think you are so wrong its almost comical! i can't even find the words to back up my statement because anything i think is so goddamn obvious it pains me to put it into words... :eek:

i agree catho, here are the words that i managed to conjure for the above, i forget their name probably as nondescript as their taste in music...

you are clearly an idiot, of course the ever expanding r'n'b crowd dominate the metropolis that is maynooth, isn't the roost and brady packed with bling??? and as for heading over to brady for better music... i can't stress this enough ... wait for it ... here it comes ... are you ready? i laugh at you.

bradys play boring music and the same cd's in the same order for months on end and they the national ****ing anthem to signify the end of the night, where the **** are we living 1983???

get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

lordgoat wrote:
    i agree catho, here are the words that i managed to conjure for the above, i forget their name probably as nondescript as their taste in music...

you are clearly an idiot, of course the ever expanding r'n'b crowd dominate the metropolis that is maynooth, isn't the roost and brady packed with bling??? and as for heading over to brady for better music... i can't stress this enough ... wait for it ... here it comes ... are you ready? i laugh at you.

bradys play boring music and the same cd's in the same order for months on end and they the national ****ing anthem to signify the end of the night, where the **** are we living 1983???

get out more.

lmao!!!! :D
    LEGEND!

ha ha ha. go lordgoat!!!!! :D

back to the topic!

will drinks be any cheaper?

he's said above that there are no plans to lower the price of booze

lordgoat wrote:
    Rep type person,

Basicaly i like alternative/indie/rock music, so i'd olny go to say a night where the music would suit my tastes, ideally you can hire me and i'll dj, and have a wonderful time, i've never done it but i have been on radio if that counts.
    Back to the topic, if you were to get a decent band and then run a DJ that keeps the music in line with the band that just played it would make more sense obciously, think whelans in dublin, or the village to a lesser extent.

At present the music there is boring and 'cack' as in if it was on the radio, it would be turned off, bad music boring dj, same stuff played every night, whats in the charts mixed in with 'classics' - doesn't do anything for me personally, and unless there were huge changes brought in i would be loath to go back there.

Fizz: What he said ^^^^
    Yes, free entry is good on Wednesday/Thursday but it's not much good to you if Friday or Saturday are the only nights you can go and you end up paying through the nose to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

I agree, it should be free on those nights too. You will get more customers.

Guys,
    alternative/indie - Will look into this and discuss with relevant people. Rock music is played to a certain extent, on Thursday, maybe Saturday and we will be opening SUnday again in the coming weeks.
    With regards to Friday & Saturday, prices are currently being worked, but these nights will always require an admission fee. At present if your there before 12 it cheaper, after 12 admission goes up. Also if you drink in Saints bar you'll receive concessions for the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

fizzrep wrote:
    Rock music is played to a certain extent, on Thursday

Yeah, but its usually whatever happens to be in the charts at the time, which can occasionally be good, but is most likely rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jimmidy_cricket

Oooh finally a change for club G. I agree with the other posts decribing the dj as being "cack", in that he plays the same generic sh!te in the same sequence every bloody time he plays...variety is the spice a life ya know! I also found the young dj with the black spiky hair to be really rude. When i asked if he did requests he replied..."depends..whats in it for me?!" Cheeky cu*t! Needless to say I didn't ask for anything, he probably wouldn't of had what I was looking for anyway.

Moving on...It can be argued that yes the dj has to apeal to the masses and I agree that a mix of pop and classics is easy to dance to but c'mon, show a bit of initiative and throw in a few random songs. I suppose themed nights will sort of combat this, heres hoping anyway!! Any plans for a Hallow'een party? I have a fancy dress party every year but I've moved and my apartments too small now but god it would be great..prizes for the best and worst, most original..and most unoriginal (cat woman/Cleopatra) t'would be deadly.

Well, thanks fizzrep I'm delighted some one is actively trying to improve that place. Can I presume you'll be posting some concessions for us here...considering our contributions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Well, thanks fizzrep I'm delighted some one is actively trying to improve that place. Can I presume you'll be posting some concessions for us here...considering our contributions?

Good thinking Batman!
    Fizzrep you really need to make it cheaper at weekends too for those of us that stay around at the weekend. I don't dislike the place like most people seem to but changes are definitely needed so good luck with it.

Oh and longer opening hours! As in Dublin nightclub hours if possible.

Maynooth wrote:
    Oh and longer opening hours! As in Dublin nightclub hours if possible.

Seconded!

Seconded!

Thirdededededededed!

Motion passed!
    ... Well that was easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

actually.
    Pull an LA.
    Pick a night, charge a set price (€3 if you can manage it) for drinks.
    boom. instantly packed with students.

The LA.....*shudder*

• Advertisement

I know people that were there lastnight and I don't think it's free so when is all this coming about?

Advertisement