Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funeral doom

• 28-08-2005 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Anyone likes it? What you think about it?
    Bands like Skepticism, Funeral, Esoteric, Shape of Despair, Nortt, Until Death Overtakes Me and etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Kilgore-Trout

i love Esoteric!!
    maybe not funeral doom, but i also love My Dying Bride, Anathema, Church Of Misery, Paradise Lost, candlemass, Deinonychus etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Mourning Beloveth are very much your friend, superb band.

Pugsley wrote:
    Mourning Beloveth are very much your friend, superb band.

home grown talent at it's finest!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

funeral doom?!?
    Who comes up with these ridiculous titles??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭slssprite

Deadwing wrote:
    funeral doom?!?
    Who comes up with these ridiculous titles??

"Funeral Doom

We use the term Funeral Doom to describe the most extreme split off of Death/Doom. These bands have taken the slowness and heaviness of Doom-metal to new extremes. Generally, the bands create very distorted and depressive yet dreamy music. Grunts or some totally distored version of that are also frequently used. These are the extremists when it comes to slowness and heaviness. The term comes forth from the way the music sounds as if it would fit a funeral or funeral proccession (often moving at the pace of a funeral march).
    Exmples: Skepticism, Shape of Despair, Thergothon, Funeral."

(C)http://www.doom-metal.com/faq.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

We also use the term Funeral Doom to appear like we know about what it is we're talking about.

I know what i am talking about ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Thergothon were probably the first band to play in this style, about fifteen years ago. Years ahead of their time. Their demo and album have never been topped for sheer desolation IMHO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

I listen to a lot of doom but could never understand what people like about funeral doom, their isnt much happening in it and it lacks alot of the melody and depression of other forms of doom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Is Gently off of Iowa by slipknot something like doom?

• Advertisement

Is Gently off of Iowa by slipknot something like doom?

never heard the song, but i'm almost certain that it is not doom in the slightest bit!!!
    do a google search for My Dying Bride, Cathedral and Esoteric. that might give you some idea of what doom is! :D

yeah but i would have to actually listen to the music to know what it is not just read about.

yeah but i would have to actually listen to the music to know what it is not just read about.

i think there are a few samples on the official sites of my dying bride, esoteric, paradise lost and cathedral. those bands should give a good indication of what doom metal is all about!
    hope you like em

cheers man ill check out those sites nowand let u know how i like it latter(could be a while i only have a 56 k connction)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

i think there are a few samples on the official sites of my dying bride, esoteric, paradise lost and cathedral. those bands should give a good indication of what doom metal is all about!
    hope you like em
    Are Cathedral still doom though? Their recent stuff is more than a wee bit upbeat, although you can still hear the groove they started with. I heard a redo of Ebony Tears done recently by the band, and it was strangely fast and... not doom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Mourning Beloveth ftw!

I listened to my dying bride and i have to say they didn't,think it was that slow or "doomy".paradise lost were ok,but are there any metal bands that are slower an use silence or very queit sound alot?

but are there any metal bands that are slower an use silence or very queit sound alot?
    yes, try those ones that i mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

home grown talent at it's finest!!!

What about Wreck of the Hesperus? They're home-grown pure sludgey Doom...

silenoz wrote:

I just downloaded a clip of prolix by them,i really like it .could you name some other bands that sound like that plz. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭jptk

go to doom-metal.com and it gives lists of bands by subgenre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

jptk, that link is really impressive, thanks a lot for that.clarified a lot for me!

so they are sludge doom?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

silenoz wrote:
    I was in Holland last weekend with their drummer and guitar player (Ray, the drummer's, been a mate of mine for a few years). They're insane.

We were at a couple of excellent doom gigs in Arnhem and Tilburg. Electric Wizard were head-lining (oh my gods they were insane), supported by (in Arnhem and in reverse order) The Plague of Gentlemen (very cool), Worship (most excellent) and Reverend Bizzare (pretty good) and in Tilberg (in reverse order again), Planet Aids (strange, but not necessarily bad), The Plague of Gentlemen (I got more into them second time), Worship (once again, most excellent), Reverend Bizare (it all made sense this time - loved them), Esoteric (unbelieveable!!). Wizard destroyed everyone mind you - definitely going again if it's on next year - Ashes to Ashes, Doom to Dust is what they called it or something like that.

It's not necessarily what you might call funeral doom, but it was the best weekend's craic and music I've ever had (after 2 Fury Fest's which I adored).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Kharn wrote:
    Electric Wizard were head-lining (oh my gods they were insane)

Electric Wizard are ****ing cool! I'd love to see them live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭hickm4

Agree with Kharn, Ashes to Ashes was out of this world, Esoteric were a spirtual experience.....Doooooooooom

Advertisement