Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sink taps pressure? Fine. Bath taps pressure? Low. Why?

• 28-08-2005 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I am moving into my new house this week. Its my first house actually, for my fiancée and I. I have a query for the plumber-oriented people here.

The bathroom sink faucets are fine, great flow and pressure, but the bath faucets are low in pressure (I'll be waiting longer than I should for a bath to fill up). They are not loose or squeaky, they are practicaly brand new as is most of the house. But, one thing I did find was that the pipes feeding the bath underneath are larger in diameter than I would have thought.

Any clues as to how to increase the flow of water to the bath?

Seanie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Seanie M,

The problem could be a small airlock not allowing the water through at the correct flow rate.

Another possibility is if plastic pipe like Qualpex was used it may be bent at a tight angle restricting the flow of the water, nothing wrong with Qualpex as a product just the way it's sometimes abused.

Last but worth checking, are the valves from the storage tank in the attic for both the cold water supply to the bathroom and the supply to the hot water cylinder fully open ?

Best of luck in your new home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thanks for that Pete. It is plastic pipes feeding it, but I'm not sure what make. They are grey in color.

Would the said valves not be the same feed for both sink and bath from both HWC and storage tank?

By the way Pete, do you remember this post here? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Yes all taps are fed by the same valves but the bath taps use more water. They have usually half inch pipe going to the bath taps while the sink has 1/4 inch.
    The valves for the hot and cold should be wide open.

Are both taps at low pressure , usually it will be just one if it is an airlock .
    To fix an airlock open the affected tap and attach a hose from the mains to the tap and try and force the water backup the pipe , the mains pressure being stronger than the pressure of the tap should help clear any airlocks..

Is it one of those mixer taps ? maybe there is a problem with it....in which case you need a plumber..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

There could be debris in the plastic (diffuser) on the outlet of the tap or something trapped in the pipework or the tap body. E.G. a piece of rockwool (insulation from the attic) or polystyrene (from storage tank lid).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Seanie M,

I do believe that last post was pre the RooKad partnership being dissolved :D

The pipes to the bath are usually 3/4" and the hand basin is usually 1/2" taken from the same 3/4" pipes for the bath, that is why I think the valves may not be fully open, the hand basin taps don't need as much pressure to work as the bath taps.

Enjoy ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement