Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6680 firmware

• 28-08-2005 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what is the latest firmware version from nokia & can I download it off the net and upgrade via the usb cable that I have? Its the cable I use with the nokia suite up backup my phone install new app etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I didnt know you can upgrade firmware with the DKU-2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Thats what I need to know and what is the latest version firmware!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Try pming wolfman he seems to know all about firmware.

But I'll take a crack at it, from what I gather Firmware is not really available on the net. You'd be best off, like I said, PM'in wolfman or bringing it in to Vodafone and they will send the phone off (free of charge) and do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Nokia don't (yet) support end-user updating of their handsets (end-users who DIY have to try to obtain updates from elsewhere and get the right cables for the job), only some manufacturers provide an end-user updating facility e.g. Sony Ericsson, Siemens, Window's movile device distributors/operators...

you would be better going to a Nokia Service Centre yourself to get it updated if convenient, rather than a Vodafone store, they just send the handset to www.mprc.ie anyway, so there may be a closer Service Centre you can drop into yourself to speed up the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Whats a firmware update on the 6600 going to improve/allow you to do with the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

It depends on how recent a phone is on the market. I remember updating my 3510 and it updated the network list and improved the performance of some features. I also updated my 3200 and it made the screen less bright which improved the battery time, it also added folder icons beside folder names.

It also depends on the phone and what operator you got it from. The firmware is customised by each operator to add certain features or menu icons.

I am hoping that flashing my 6680 will update its network list so that vodafone will show as vodafone and not 3, and 3 will show as 3 instead of "272 05".

To answer your earlier questions, flashing your phone with newer versions of the firmware is like installing newer versions of a program on your PC, newer versions often have new features and improved performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Your 6680 shows VF as 3??????????
    <edit>Anyway, your 6680..... the most recent firmware avilable is 3.0437</edit>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I am hoping that flashing my 6680 will update its network list so that vodafone will show as vodafone and not 3, and 3 will show as 3 instead of "272 05".

Try a sim change 1st or stick someones else's sim into your handset to check. A lot of the time how the network label displayed is dependant on your sim card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

wolfman wrote:
    Your 6680 shows VF as 3??????????
    <edit>Anyway, your 6680..... the most recent firmware avilable is 3.0437</edit>
    Yep, it is to do with the phones customisation. I believe that 3 changed VF's long name to 3 so that it would still say 3 on the screen when using VF.

Nokia have told me that the most recent FW is v4, but that may be generic, I would not mind getting the generic non-three fw as it would enable all the phones disabled features (if any). But it is entirly up to the guys at CN.

The short name still says vodafone (as shown by FExplorer).
    It is possable that the Op list is editable so that I can always change it back, but I am taking the easier option, I created a vodafone OpLogo and will just use that. The only problem is that 3 has disabled the option to show oplogos so I will have to re-enable it, for anyone on three that wants to use oplogos, I will post a how-to on these boards, once I get it to work for me first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Version 3.0437 is datapack 4. Thats probably what they mean by version 4, as there is no newer firmware available yet than 3.0437. If you need it done and cant get a generic flash, give me a shout ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement