Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney Celebration??

• 28-08-2005 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

missed it myself but a friend just told me that sky apologised for his celebration and in the interview after(volume was turned down in work) he was asked why he had done it and he said this interview is over and walked off? anyone know wat happened?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

i seen him stick up 1 finger on one hand and two fingers on the other to the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

he shouted f*ck something or other into the camera.

Definitly heard ****, but couldnt make out the rest. he held up his fingers later on in the game, he didnt do that after his celebration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He nicely reminded the Newcastle fans the score after they geered him for messing up pass or something.

His goal celebration was just a celebration. He said, 'get the **** in there'
    Its just being hyped up by Sky so that they have something to talk about in the papers tomorrow, typical english media.
    If Henry did the same thing, nobody would bat an eye.
    Infact when Henry does the exact same thing, giving a blank stare into the opposition crowd after scoring, nobody says anything.

Typical english media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

He didnt walk off during the interview. He just said "I still get a buzz when i score in the premiership, and cant help how i act in celebrating" or something to that affect. He stuck up his fingers indicating the score when someone from the crowd jeered him after a miss....

PHB wrote:
    Infact when Henry does the exact same thing, giving a blank stare into the opposition crowd after scoring, nobody says anything.

Typical english media.

Henry wouldnt be stupid enough to shout fu&k into a camera. ALso, his celebration had nothing to do with it, its was due to the language he used.

the reason sky apologised was probaly due to the fact it was before the watershed and had too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Yeah, people complain about anything to TV companies, and radio. They're bound to get a lot of phone calls from moaney ba$tards - even for the smallest things. And even though they apologised, people will still complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PHB wrote:

16 minutes from thread-postage to mention of Arsenal. Must be a record... :rolleyes:

If its an anti-ManYoo thing you're getting at then pull in your horns. They spent the build-up to the match comparing Rooney to Duncan Edwards FFS, 90 minutes later they're turning him into public enemy #1? Catch a grip. Far more likely they did it in response to complaints from the public about the language used.

And on that topic, anyone who complained needs their head examined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

What he actually said was "Fûck ya". At the time there was nobody around him so presumably it was towards the Geordie fans. Whatever about complaining, it's hardly suitable behaviour from a guy who is so obviously under the microscope this season when it comes to swearing at refs etc. It also becomes a problem for Sky when the word 'fûck' is broadcast before the watershed. As for Henry doing the same thing, no, don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

so what if he told the geordie fans. The EPL is becoming too dry for my liking. Plenty of this and more of the newcastle boxing on the pitch please:)

nice 1 Rooney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

before we know it, we will have 5 minute delays in broadcast just like in the states

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Storm in a teacup , he reacted to the fans taunts when he scored just like Drogba did last week and Henry did last season.

The Muppet wrote:
    Storm in a teacup , he reacted to the fans taunts when he scored just like Drogba did last week and Henry did last season.

sorry, when excactly did drogba and henry shout into a camera "**** ya"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

was it actually aimed at the camera?

i think its very funny with rooney, half of st james park were chanting "you fat bastard" and booing when he was on the ball, but the exact same fans will be cheering him on sunday. white shirt = hero, red shirt = wan*er.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, why would they compare him to Duncan Edwards and then give out to him?
    When have the english media ever built up a player just to knock them back down again? I can't think of any tbh...............:rolleyes:

As for the fact that Henry never cursed.
    Big ****ing deal.
    His actions probably did more to incite the crowd than Rooneys did, yet its all bad cause of the language?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Big ****ing deal.
    His actions probably did more to incite the crowd than Rooneys did, yet its all bad cause of the language?
    You are missing the point completely and just blindly defending him.

The problem wasnt inciting the crowd, it was cursing direct to the camera during afternoon live television. Sky are just covering their asses and probably asked him to apologise.

He showed his class again today. For all the people who dare to claim that he is all media hype just watch the second goal. Defending 40 yards from his own goal, in injury time, before running 40 yards with the ball, and then delivering a perfect cross for Van Nistelrooy.

Even before he went on the run I remarked that it was amazing to see a striker back staunchly defending in injury time, and then he goes up the other end!

As for the goal, great covering again from Stephen Carr :rolleyes: Boumsong may have missed it, but Carr should have been covering Van Nistelrooy, instead he was almost in the centre circle hands-on-hips. I really hope he doesnt start against France, half the player he was a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Shamrok wrote:
    Whatever about complaining, it's hardly suitable behaviour from a guy who is so obviously under the microscope this season when it comes to swearing at refs etc.

"Suitable behaviour" for Wayne Rooney is whatever Wayne Rooney wants to do. Every single person who watches the Premiership and is fluent in English knows the word f*ck or will know the word when they get a little older. Whats the problem if he curses when he scores? Why should the guy behave like the moral "majority" wants him to.

Sky don't censor out the 50,000 geordies shouting "You fat bastard", even though bastard is an offensive word to many people.

Anyone moaning about Rooneys cursing, get a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

im sick of poeple moaning about sfa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, why would they compare him to Duncan Edwards and then give out to him?
    When have the english media ever built up a player just to knock them back down again? I can't think of any tbh...............:rolleyes:

Bullsh*t and you know it. Sky cream themselves when Man Utd are on, Andy Gray was falling over himself with his "this is the real Man Utd" any time they managed to string 3 passes together.

In the absence of proof to the contrary I'll go with the theory that Sky got a load of complaints for Rooney's language being broadcast on a Sunday afternoon, and decided to make an issue of it to placate the moaners.
    phb wrote:
    Big ****ing deal.

Take that and the chip on your shoulder to another thread.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    "Suitable behaviour" for Wayne Rooney is whatever Wayne Rooney wants to do. Every single person who watches the Premiership and is fluent in English knows the word f*ck or will know the word when they get a little older. Whats the problem if he curses when he scores? Why should the guy behave like the moral "majority" wants him to.

Sky don't censor out the 50,000 geordies shouting "You fat bastard", even though bastard is an offensive word to many people.

Anyone moaning about Rooneys cursing, get a grip.

if he took his lad out and waved it around in celebration would you feel the same? Sure all the males there have one so its not like they havent seen one, and all the females are eventually going to see one at some stage.

but somehow i doubt you would come on saying "why should the guy behave like the moral "majority" wants him too".

Personnally i couldnt careless about it. But i certainly understand why sky acted the way they did. I still think rooney is an idiot for doing it aswell, will the chap ever grow up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

When have the english media ever built up a player just to knock them back down again? I can't think of any tbh...............

DO you really need an answer for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

if he took his lad out and waved it around in celebration would you feel the same?

I'd probably piss myself laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

if he took his lad out and waved it around in celebration would you feel the same? Sure all the males there have one so its not like they havent seen one, and all the females are eventually going to see one at some stage.

but somehow i doubt you would come on saying "why should the guy behave like the moral "majority" wants him too".

Personnally i couldnt careless about it. But i certainly understand why sky acted the way they did. I still think rooney is an idiot for doing it aswell, will the chap ever grow up?

This translates to me, using my Liverpool fan translator, as:

"Oh my god do I wish Wayne Rooney played for us. He is so brilliant, but he plays for Man U, so I dont like him, I think he is an idiot and I dont like when he curses."

I know how you feel, everytime Henry does that blank stare into the opposing crowd I feel the same way. If Liverpool had a player half as good as either of them, I could reciprocate. Maybe Stevie G, but Heinze can hit long balls into an empty space to nobody so we are covered in that department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Draupnir wrote:
    This translates to me, using my Liverpool fan translator, as:

"Oh my god do I wish Wayne Rooney played for us. He is so brilliant, but he plays for Man U, so I dont like him, I think he is an idiot and I dont like when he curses."

I know how you feel, everytime Henry does that blank stare into the opposing crowd I feel the same way. If Liverpool had a player half as good as either of them, I could reciprocate. Maybe Stevie G, but Heinze can hit long balls into an empty space to nobody so we are covered in that department.

Sure why would the CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE need either of them? :)

Rooney, great player, so what about the celebration ???, ugly as sin mind you, bless him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

He shouldnt have cursed but look at the facts of the matter. He is 19 years of age playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world. This is his first proper season with the club and he has just scored a go-ahead goal after receiving dogs abuse from the crowd.

Its natural to let off steam with a " Get faaaking in there" shout. People do it in all walks of life. As long as hes not cursing at the Newcastle fans IMO its okay.

Perhaps also SKY should review their policy of having 578 microphones pitchside. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I can't belive so much is being made of this, he was running towards the same spot he's celebrated nearly every goal he's scored for man u and goes "**** yeah" i could barley hear it and i had the volume up full whack.

he didn't go right into the camera and go "**** you"

not going to compare it to henry but there's been hundreds of celebrations in the same corner of hundreds of grounds were you over here a bunch of players screaming "get ****ing in there" "**** yeah" what the hell is going on no one can put a tackle in now a player can't say **** when he scores incase some nosey camera who sits on top of player celebrations catches it?

come on lads was the match that boring there's nothing else to talk about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I watched the game live yesterday and I didn't hear him swear, not saying that he didn't, but so what if he did. :rolleyes:

I seen him stick his fingers up, 2 on one hand and 1 on the other. I just assumed that he was indicating that Manu had gotten 3 points from the game. Although, I did wonder why he didn't use just the one hand. :confused: He's probably only just learning how to count.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I can't believe this thread is 2 pages long, who cares how he celebrated?? I didn't hear Sky apologize for all the Newcaslte fans calling him a fat bastard.

I didn't hear Sky apologize for all the Newcaslte fans calling him a fat bastard.

That's because that's factually correct!!! ;)

B.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I can't believe this thread is 2 pages long, who cares how he celebrated??

The same flutes who care about anything that United do, they are called ABU's, god bless them all ! ;) If it were not for them most United threads would be pages shorter and would not contain so much drivel!

Must keep an eye out on the next time any other player scores and see what their reaction is, I am sure if it a Liverpool player that a crap thread won't be started about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Quit with your nudist propaganda!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Won't someone please think of the children?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

I have never heard such ****e in my entire life, so ****ing what if he swore, we all ****ing swear especially in moments of high adrenaline like when Rooney scored in a high tension game. Sky should be apologising for all the ****ing mikes around the pitch, Rooney has nothing to ****ing apologise for and if anyone has a problem with this go watch the ****ing Ashes as footy is obviously a little bit too testosterone fuelled for your ****ing delicate selves.
    :mad: Well thats how I see it anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

This thread is funny, Rooney didnt really do anything wrong, it just showed that he, shall we say, comes from a lower class then most footballers and that came through in his celebration! that could be taken in the wrong way but its not ment as a shot at rooney! its just that he wouldn't see bad lanuage in the way other might! (hard to explain my thoughts there but hope you get the jist of it :))

but what i find funnier is man yoo fans trying to say Henry standing still is just as bad hahaha and the ABU card being played when fact is that United havent won anything in 2 years so ABU is dieing off FAST and people are more ABC (chelsea) or ABA(arsenal) then ABU

Take it wrote:
    This thread is funny, Rooney didnt really do anything wrong, it just showed that he, shall we say, comes from a lower class then most footballers and that came through in his celebration! that could be taken in the wrong way but its not ment as a shot at rooney! its just that he wouldn't see bad lanuage in the way other might! (hard to explain my thoughts there but hope you get the jist of it :))

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

While people using foul language on daytime tv is a serious offence in most countries. :rolleyes: These people who rang complaining are probably the same people who bring their children to matches and have them hear their parents scream all sorts of abuse at players. ;)

The thing that is sad about it all is that something much worse than that happened throughout the game and yet we hear nothing about it.I am on about ronaldo diving/cheating for the 90 minutes.I feel blatant cheating needs to be stamped out of the game more so than someone letting off steam without inciting the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

ronaldo diving/cheating

would you get off the stage. ronaldo hardly dived at all in that game, maybe twice i noticed. if you want to see diving from last weekend, go check out Drogba, Pires or Garcia.

Drogba being the worst by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

d22ontour wrote:
    The thing that is sad about it all is that something much worse than that happened throughout the game and yet we hear nothing about it.I am on about ronaldo diving/cheating for the 90 minutes.

I thought you were talking about something really important like how $hite the referee was for 90 minutes. He made some truly shocking decisions at some points in the game.

I don't think you can hold this game up as an example of Ronaldo diving for 90 minutes, that's not how I saw it anyway (especially as he came off after 85 minutes!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

SteM wrote:
    I don't think you can hold this game up as an example of Ronaldo diving for 90 minutes, that's not how I saw it anyway (especially as he came off after 85 minutes!).
    He was definately pulled over by Carr, I thought that was completely blatent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what diving by Ronaldo? the referee was the problem yesterday. he was chronic

• Advertisement

He was definately pulled over by Carr, I thought that was completely blatent.

Yes it was blatant, cynical even but ronaldos previous actions in the game probably gave the ref the view he was diving again.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Censorship is stupid anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SteM wrote:
    I thought you were talking about something really important like how $hite the referee was for 90 minutes. He made some truly shocking decisions at some points in the game.

Me too , Ronaldo was fouled at every oppurtunity and got vet little if any protection from the ref and Ruud got a yellow for the crime of being taken down by Given.

d22ontour wrote:
    Yes it was blatant, cynical even but ronaldos previous actions in the game probably gave the ref the view he was diving again.

So you're quite happy to ignore blatantly bad refereeing and cynical fouling by a Newcastle player but comment on what you saw as 90 minutes of diving (in a game where he actually wasn't diving much and didn't even play a full game) by a United player.

Very balanced.

SteM wrote:
    So you're quite happy to ignore blatantly bad refereeing and cynical fouling by a Newcastle player but comment on what you saw as 90 minutes of diving (in a game where he actually wasn't diving much and didn't even play a full game) by a United player.

Very balanced.

No i am not quite happy to ignore blatant bad refereeing as it happens in most games and all teams suffer because of it tbh. :rolleyes:

Ronaldo dived at least 5/6 times in the *85* minutes he was on to say otherwise is fine if thats the way you see it but i seen him go down arms flailing and on the occasions he does get fouled should he expect protection/sympathy from officals when his theatricals probably leen them towards "oh there goes ronaldo down again. Did he dive ?" :eek:

Balanced has nothing to do with it as i support united. :p

Neither Rooney's celebration nor Ronaldo's 'diving' should have been an issue coming out of that match because neither were issues. He dived 5/6 in you opinion times in 85 minutes under what could have been quite hefty challenges from some Newcastle players - big deal, in your first post you made it sound like he spent the whole game falling ass over tit. He didn't. Shearers a big bloke and you even see him go down under the weakest looking challenges in most games.

The things that should have come out of that match as talking points are:

1) The Referee - he was so bad it was laughable and I don't just mean siding with one team over another. This includes giving a player a yellow card for being fouled inside the opposition box!
    2) The Newcastle defence - has it improved much since Boomsong joined?
    3) Souness - will he last the season.
    4) Ruud - will he be able to score against top defences or is he lucky that Newcastle were poor at the back?

But no, because it's United playing the 2 things that are brought up are bad language (so what) and diving (that never really happened that much).

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Jesus, you cant say anything about United without the forcefield being put up by their fans. Claiming like babies "oh wah wah, Henry and Drogba do it"!

The OP merely asked what was the fuss about the celebration because he missed it, but heard that Rooney himself apologised for it.

On that basis it is not an unreasonable assumption to make that there was something not right about the celebration. Hence the question marks in the thread title in case any of you didnt see it.

The response by everyone was that he cursed, a bit of an idiot cursing direct to the microphone but sure so what. The common consensus was that before the watershed you are going to get grannies and the likes ringing in, and fair enough.

I dont see anyone here saying they were personally offended, or that he should get a ten-game ban, so for ****s sake ;), will you all relax, its not everyone against you here.

Now we have United fans defending their team about diving, claiming that its just because its United that this has come up, when it was a United fan in the first place that labelling Ronaldo a bloody diver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It's what happens to them when they have nothing to crow about for a couple of years ;)

Advertisement